1080 tables to 4K question

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RONR
    Participant
      @ronr

Good morning, I had a friend load his 4K tables on a drive and forwarded to me, I’m using a 1080 setup and having load/open/close problems with a lot of tables. Can this be my problem? Namely Harry Potter back glass won’t close when changing and sometimes just leaves bits and pieces of it on other tables. Tk Ron

The Loafer
      Participant
        @theloafer

I’m not sure I want to touch this one but… what the heck.

firstly, your post doesn’t tell us if you have the required installs.  For example, the Harry Potter table need pinup player installed to play the accompanied pup pack.  Assuming you do have it installed, if you are not using a front end, Depending on the table, you may need to completely quit VPX between every load of tables to ensure the vpx player has released the pup pack. If you are using a front end that usually closes it for you.

those tables being 4K quality should have zero bearings on running on 1080p monitor.  What can have a bearing is your pc specs and your current setup of VP and all the programs it can use.

if my initial sentence is off putting it’s because whether you get tables from a friend or from a packed download, these tend to be frowned on because of the same reason:   We don’t know if the user is running the latest version of the table and since the user often hasn’t installed everything themselves, there isn’t the earned knowledge that you would have for some of these issues.  Your mention of issues with loading tables hints at this, perhaps you don’t have some of the required programs installed?  In saying that not everyone is technical and this may not apply to you, thus my assistance. Good luck and hopefully the above advice helps somewhat.

additional recommendation:  install vp10.6 all in one to ensure you have the required programs (ultradmd, db2s, vpm, etc)

RONR
        Participant
          @ronr

thanks Loafer,  being new at this  i don’t know at this time but will work on that. reason for question is using Teamviewer the tables loaded on my computer work  ,the 600 + or – games he sent seen to be the issue .

bord
            @bord
            MembervipContributorModerator

:scratch:

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

Guys it’s me, I have been helping him for the last month or so.  Ron helped us get resources for escape from the lost world and he really wanted to build a VP.  He tried to get everything running on his own but ran into a lot of issues to include a really slow internet connection because he lives so far out.  I ended up having him send me his HD and I cloned mine to get everything up and running.   When he got it back and updated all his drivers.  I have been using team viewer to get everything up and running and it has been a long journey.  We got vpx running, freezys and eventually pup.  Every day I go on and help him download a PUP pack and we finally got them working.

the issue is that when he starts Harry Potter, which was a downloaded from VPB, it crashes in pinballx or Y, but runs fine in vpx.

i also gave him my screen shots for BG and PF but with those in the media folders, pin X and Y and slow moving through the tables.

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

He ain’t running the tables off that external drive – is he ?

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

No it’s not an Extertal hard drive. It’s a regular SSD. I don’t know if this is the issue but right now he’s only running 8 GB of RAM. He has more on the way but I remember when I Was low on my end things were kind of running weird too. I suggested he buy another 4 GB to bump that up

Thalamus
                    @thalamus

Hmm. I have a feeling that it won’t work. First, my cab is running on 8G, Win7, 64bit with a 1080 with 8G video ram. I used to have a 750ti and I can’t recall having any issues related to memory that hasn’t been out of stupidity by someone modding a table. I also have a feeling that adding 4G or ram, won’t work at all. Very often you will see that memory have to be added in pairs. If that is valid for this case, then he has already populated 2x4G and probably needs to buy 2×4 to get it working at all. These should have the same speed etc.

When you say cloned your drive. You are really meaning that ? A true copy of your installation including OS ? If so, you guys are just looky that you didn’t end up with a permanent blue-screen, or maybe they have change it’s color now ;)

Copying VP is simple copying of some folders and registry keys.

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation
                      MemberContributor

Maybe I am thinking back to when I had 32 bit OS running instead…  I am stumped guys.  This is the same computer that crashed to bios when he played Addams family…strangely it doesn’t do that anymore

The Loafer
                      Participant
                        @theloafer

First the most important thing:  Welcome aboard @ronr !!!  Thank you very much for your contributions towards Escape from the Lost World. It’s because of gestures such as your contributions that we end up getting awesome releases so thanks sincerely!

@armyaviation
                        :  Thanks for your help too, I’d have done the same thing :)

Cloning a drive then having it work on other hardware can be problematic but Techs do it all the time too. There is a pattern to follow for it to work but yeah it’s important the hardware is up to the task and of course it’s ALWAYS better to restart from scratch.  Specific to the HP issues, I think if HP is working fine outside of the front end, then it’s basically mission accomplished as far as VPX/Pup is concerned.  Adding the proper memory may work because using a front end impacts available memory the most but yeah, depending on available slots, sometimes it’s better change your existing memory with brand new 16GB solution instead of the old 8GB (2×4), especially if it’s not the same speed.

Good luck and come back to us if you need help RONR!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        Tom
                        Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

Yeah only HP on pinX and Y.  I actually had a similar instance where Tom and Jerry would load on vpx but not through pinballx/y.  I tried it the other day and it worked.   Gremlins in the system…

Thalamus
                            @thalamus

Yeah. This is kind of a rant, but, my view on the current frontend usage. I used VPX for a long time. It was served me well for a long time, but, I struggled with it too because it came bundled with a few dll that fucked me over on each release. Freezy compability mostly. What annoyed me the most was that I never could get any info to what changed in between the version so when PBY came out with a very comprehensive changelog and I had every table already in “vpx format (xml)”, then a switch was completed in under 20 minutes. Never went back. Still use my custom made script to add tables to that format, clean them up etc. Even though guys have made tools – later on that does “kind of” the same thing I’ve done on my side. When I see a pup table – and I don’t run many of them, I’ve got pinup popper installed as well. I tend to add pinup tables to popper and not PBY. I kind of want to keep the realistic stuff on my frontend. There has been a few tables, can’t really remember, but, I believe I did get HP to work on PBY, but, there are at least a few other where I didn’t feel I could be bothered to even try to figure it out. So, I ended up adding it to popper. In short you can say. If you want to play “bling bling” – fire up popper as the frontend on my cab. For the rest, it is controlled by PBY. Honestly, I haven’t seen a table that popper can’t handle. I’ve seen a few that PBY is having issues with. PBX I just gave up upon a while ago. I’m still not changing though. I’m often shaking my head looking in how much people spend on their frontend instead of actually adjusting their tables – but, well, guess that’s just me B-)

Todays rant over.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?