3D primitive question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    g33cad3
    Participant
      @g33cad3

Hi All,

I am trying to create an original table using the Orbital Framework.

One of the toys I have been creating for it is a Subway Train where the ball will travel inside it via half a cylinder.

Now I have a question. So does my 3d object have to be fully polygoned inside (see WIP images). It;s just I have a lot of window where at the moment the polys stop as imagined no one would see them.

Cheers

tube2blrndertube1blrnder

Dark
        @dark
        vipMemberContributor

Generally speaking it is common practice to either completely remove polys that will not be seen or significantly reduce poly count.   If you look at the plastic ramp on the Gilligan’s table I made you’ll see I’ve modeled the entire thing despite a good portion of it not being visible underneath the kona volcano toy.  In that instance I knew I would be uploading to sketchfab where the user could move camera all around to explore so I ended up just reducing poly count for that portion a lot by removing any unnecessary edge loops.  As a result this will reduce the level of detail and make the mesh in that area not look as good as the visible parts but every poly saved is a poly earned that will help boost performance on your table.

I’ve also been trying to keep in mind that with more and more tables being converted to VR, people will look around the table to an extent.

If you need there’s lots of videos on how to optimize models for gaming on youtube that can give you tips on reducing poly count without hurting your model too much.

3dcreation

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Schreibi34
        Participant
          @schreibi34

It looks like you can see the inside of the train through the front and maybe through the windows!? If you have just modeled the outer skin with no material thickness (solidify in Blender) the inside of the train will be invisible. Thats because VP can only show one side of a polygon. The backside will be invisible. What you can see depends on the normal directions.

Dark
            @dark
            vipMemberContributor

Obviously I skimmed through reading this too fast… :wacko:

Just add thickness to your model and it will render fine in VP.

3dcreation

g33cad3
            Participant
              @g33cad3

Thanks Dark and Schrebi34 :)

Have only really quickly modelled the part of the outside at the moment and haven’t got round to the ends yet.

Trying to just have one side full of windows so the player can see the ball rolling down it with a strong light casting shadow to create a sort of reverse tunnel effect.

One last question can I have any triangles in the final mesh or stick nearly all to quads. Just to cut polycont?

Dark
                @dark
                vipMemberContributor

One last question can I have any triangles in the final mesh or stick nearly all to quads. Just to cut polycont?

Every quad is actually two triangles, when you import to a game engine, (ie vpx) it will automatically triangulate your mesh.  It is recommended that you export your mesh with triangulation before importing to a game engine as the game engine may not always triangulate the model as well as the 3d software could before hand.

Triangles are….okay but generally speaking you want you’re mesh to be all quads, avoiding N-gons (more than 4 pointed polys) as they can cause distortion in the mesh.  This is especially true with organic-like mesh’s such as characters.  It’s less important with hard surface models, there are instances where triangles are used to form a point in a crease for example but generally speaking you want to avoid triangles as best you can.  You have to observe your mesh with shaders/lighting on to see distortion, this is where optimizing can be tricky because you can potentially maintain a smooth looking mesh by reducing edge loops and excess verts and if done with care can still maintain your model fairly well without much distortion.  The distortion can be further reduced with normal bump map projection.

Really what it comes down to is how light will react on your mesh.

The quad-only rule really mostly applies to models that will utilize some kind of sub-division smoothing, basically what it will do is divide every quad into 4 more quads and triangles throw a wrench into that.

3dcreation

Dark
                  @dark
                  vipMemberContributor

The curved edge of you model needs smoothing, I don’t know what the term is in blender but in 3dsmax you select those polygons and apply a ‘smooth group’ to them to make it appear as one smooth curve rather than a series of flat edges.

3dcreation

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

The curved edge of you model needs smoothing, I don’t know what the term is in blender but in 3dsmax you select those polygons and apply a ‘smooth group’ to them to make it appear as one smooth curve rather than a series of flat edges.

In Blender it would be “Shade smooth” with those faces selected.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    Thalamus
                      @thalamus
                      ContributorMemberModerator

Ah yes. That’s in the kicker cup video – and now I feel like an expert ;-) :unsure: :wacko:

( appreciate these discussions – at last now I understand some of it )

Dark
                        @dark
                        vipMemberContributor

You could also use sub-division based smoothing but since this model has mostly flat surfaces it would be a waste of polys and therefore the ‘Shade smooth’ or ‘smooth group’ method is best for this application.

3dcreation

g33cad3
                        Participant
                          @g33cad3

Thanks for all the advice folks. Hardly getting time to work on it at the moment due to the young family members.

I have been trying to make it a bit more solid (see image)

Will hopefully get it finished in a couple of weeks.

p1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?