4k playfield help needed

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    themotherbrain
    Participant
      @themotherbrain

Hi folks! I’m having an issue I’m hoping somebody can shed some light on. I just got a 43″ 4k TV (samsung nu7100). I reinstalled vpx and got the monitor set up. The issue I am having is the tables dont play smoothly now. I played with the settings on the TV and when I’m in the UHD color settings it has a button to “optimize the colors” for my hdmi inputs. When I check that box the tables play like a dream, but the color is washed out. Nothing I can find in the TV settings will affect the performance except this. Game mode does nothing. Is there something I should be changing elsewhere in vp or is there an issue with the monitor itself? I’ve tried removing the b2s to see if that was the issue, but nothing I’ve tried works. Anybody know what’s up? Thanks for listening!

-Rob

themotherbrain
      Participant
        @themotherbrain

I forgot to mention my computer specs if it’s of any value:

Maximus formula x, i7 8086k, rog strix 1080, 16GB corsair ram

My setup plays perfectly on my HD monitor. It was only after going to 4k that I’ve had the issue.

Cameron
        Participant
          @cameron

Hmmmm….

Well if it is working in the UHD color mode on the TV, have you tried to get your video output to match for the wider color gamut?

themotherbrain
          Participant
            @themotherbrain

I’m not sure. How do I go about doing that? Thanks for the response. I will be heartbroken if I cant figure this out because everything looks so damn clean now!

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

You do that under the nVidia settings. Normally it will not use full range. This is something you should also be aware of.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=40132&p=405173

Make sure you use a 1.4 ( I think it was that ) certified hdmi cable.

The Loafer
              Participant
                @theloafer

I have the same tv, love it.  Since you just switched to 4K, did you remember to remove the anti aliasing option in vp?  If not you are effectively trying to display to a 8k screen I think, and that’s a lot of pixels!

alternatively, I suspect you are going through the same issue I did.  Look at the display settings and then advanced settings.  Once there look at your monitor refresh rate, I suspect it is showing 30 instead of 60.  If that is your issues it’s probably because you are using an hdmi cable 1.3 or 1.4, while I think for 4K/60fps, you need 2.0+.  This is from memory so could be wrong but look into this.  Anyway once I used the right cable, all was good

AFTER you have resolved the above issue, ensure you set the tv to pc mode, then turn game mode on, well worth it for the lesser lag experienced

Edit: post above mine could be correct, it may be 1.4 and above that is ok to use for hdmi, google to confirm

themotherbrain
                Participant
                  @themotherbrain

This is all new info to me. I’m relieved to hear you have the same monitor loafer. Because we have 2 tables (my buddy and I) and bought 2 TVs! I would feel like a real tool returning them both only to find out it will work.

I have a couple other questions I will type out later regarding this as well that I hope you might not mind answering. You guys rock! Is there a way to donate to the site? I’d be lost without the support!

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

This is all new info to me. I’m relieved to hear you have the same monitor loafer. Because we have 2 tables (my buddy and I) and bought 2 TVs! I would feel like a real tool returning them both only to find out it will work.

I have a couple other questions I will type out later regarding this as well that I hope you might not mind answering. You guys rock! Is there a way to donate to the site? I’d be lost without the support!

Donate some quality playfield or plastics scans to an author if you ever get the chance. That’s a good way to give back.

themotherbrain
                    Participant
                      @themotherbrain

Ok so I think I’ve got it mostly sorted.

I’ve gone into my nvidia control panel and adjusted my color settings to the nvidia settings on my desktop and made sure the monitors had the correct resolution and refresh rate. Correcting all that stuff enabled the flickering to stop and it plays nice and smooth now. So we got one issue down.

Here is where it’s still odd. I was mentioning how the color looked really washed out when I turned off the uhd mode on the monitor (which I had to do in the beginning to get it to play smooth). It’s almost like an intense light is shining and also some colors are really saturated looking.

When originally correcting everything, nothing actually changed graphically until after I played with the hue slider bar. When nothing happened after I made those settings changes, I started to fiddle with settings and when I touched the hue, I noticed a drastic difference in color quality. So I then tested a table. It looked beautiful so I backed the hue down and tested a couple times until it was right back at zero. Dont know why, but the screen still looks great! So I think I’m done. I play some games and enjoy the new rig. I decide to reboot it afterward. When I did that and loaded a table I got the same freaking washed out look that would only go away when I slide that hue forward and then back to and press apply. I dont know if I got something wrong, but I’m stumped.

Loafer, would it be much trouble to take some screen shots of your nvidia control panel settings that are pertinent to our discussion as well as your TV settings since we have the same model? I’m just curious as to what I may have selected different. It might be something I can deal with, but I’m positive this shouldn’t happen in an ideal scenario.

Thank you all for you help!  :good:

The Loafer
                      Participant
                        @theloafer

It’s not possible for me to do so tonight but will do so tomorrow.  Please remind me via PM

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

I am trying to get my setup back up and running with a new 4K playfield and a different bg tv.  I got all of the screens setup but I was wondering if you guys could look these settings over and see if I am correct.  @theloafer mentioned something about turning off anti aliasing.

also, the icons on the 4K are very large and the vpx screen is shrunken so I can’t use any of the buttons on the editor.  I tried resizing but no luck.  Editor is really small and option menu is huge

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Tom.
                          themotherbrain
                          Participant
                            @themotherbrain

I have the 4k monitor scale set to 125% I believe to even things out. I can take a screenshot of my settings tomorrow sometime.

Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation
                              MemberContributor

I got that fixed.  I set it to 200.  The issue I am having still is the editor in vpx.  The option menu is large and the left column of the editor is very small and compacted together.

also the settings for 4K.  Anyone want to look at those and critique

themotherbrain
                              Participant
                                @themotherbrain

Apparently I was incorrect. I have my display settings at 100% for both screens. Since originally posting this thread,, I’ve upgraded to an Asus Xg438q monitor and I run a 1080p Samsung TV for the backglass, but I seem to remember having to play with the scale when I used the 43″ Samsung TV for the playfield. I’m pretty sure your editor screen cramping issues have to do with that scaling as well.

strikekat
                                Participant
                                  @strikekat

I would also check the DPI scaling compatibility settings to see if anything helps. Worst-case, the buttons/text will look a little blurry but it will actually be usable.
                                  Right-Click the shortcut/exe -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Change high DPI settings -> Override high DPI scaling behavior -> Set to System (Or try other selections if that doesn’t work)
                                  This property might look different if you have an older version of Win10, but there should still be something in the Compatibility tab regarding DPI to try out.

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation
                                    MemberContributor

Which brings me to my next question, resolution, 3840X or 4160x, I think that was the 2.  Which one is 4K?  I used 4160 and it looks better

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Tom.
                                    themotherbrain
                                    Participant
                                      @themotherbrain

My settings only allow for 3840×2160 to be chosen. I would imagine that is likely the standard. Can’t say if the other setting would affect anything as I don’t even have the option to try.

The Loafer
                                      Participant
                                        @theloafer

This is an older thread but I have logged in for the first time in about 2 months I think.  Do you still need advice @armyaviation ?

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

@theloafer, where ya been, i think alot of us have been trailing off because there isnt alot of movement going on right now.  I know i am putting alot of projects on hold until the new version of VP comes out.  I appreciate the nod but Terry helped me out, thanks

The Loafer
                                          Participant
                                            @theloafer

I retired, then went back to work (part time) :).  All is good but I needed to get away from drama for a while and well, drama is never too far with this hobby.  All is good though!  Hope you are well.  One thing I hate with this hobby is you miss a couple of months and it takes a while To catch up.  I’m getting lazy with old age lol

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?