A couple of Pinball Y noob questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    EVERYlosersHERO
    Participant
      @everylosershero

I’m really liking this front end compared to X, just have a couple of issues.

1- after I edit a table’s info and capture media, how do I redo it if I’m not happy with the results? I have Parkinson’s and hit buttons too many times occasionally.

2- how do I add info and media for original tables that aren’t in the database? There are a few I’d like to do but it’s not letting me.

thanks!

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

1) You pick the table once more and re-record. PBY will rename the old recorderings, instead of overwriting them. So, after you’ve done this a lot. Maybe consider hunting those media files for media named “old” and delete, to free up some HD space again.

2) You can take a template and add that to the xml that controls the tables. For me it is “Visual Pinball.xml” for the VPX tables.

Every game starts with <game name=xxx> and ends with </game> – here is a random table from my xml file, with my unusual table description format. Just put that in between two already existing entries. A backup of the file from time to time is recommended.

<game name="3 Angelswip_Beta_0_96a">
        <description>VPX__3_Angles__DMD__2018__Original</description>
        <enabled>True</enabled>
        <hidebackglass>True</hidebackglass>
        <hidedmd>True</hidedmd>
        <hidetopper>True</hidetopper>
        <ipdbid></ipdbid>
        <manufacturer>Original</manufacturer>
        <rating>3</rating>
        <rom></rom>
        <type>DMD</type>
        <year>2018</year>
        </game>

1 user thanked author for this post.
        bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

If you bring up the exit menu you can go into the operator menu and change info for games that are already set up or not in the database. It is a bit of manual entry but not complicated. From the same menu you can also re-capture new media on a per table basis.

EVERYlosersHERO
          Participant
            @everylosershero

Thanks guys. I had just figured out pressing 0 gives me more options.

Now is there a simple way to remove tables I’m overlooking? I deleted the table but it’s still showing up on the wheel.

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

Normally. I don’t delete tables that are already added to the frontend. I just give them a rating and use filters to see the ones I want to play. My setup is very weird in many ways. I have these odd names, but, I also created maintenance scripts that will cleanup tables that is not referenced in the xml file. Created this a long time ago, since the front ends where lacking this ability. Unfortunately, it is written in perl and well, kind of hard coded for my use only. Deleting a table is kind of the same as I said above. Just delete the entry that starts with <game name=xxx> down to </game> and if you want to clean out the media too. I would for my example delete all files named “VPX__3_Angles__DMD__2018__Original” in the media folders.

I’m sure there are other ways. But, I don’t use them.

Badazzwi
              Participant
                @badazzwi

You have to delete game details from the menu in PinballY or it will continue to show even after deleting the table itself.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

topper-2k
                Participant
                  @topper-2k

To delete a table, you need to delete the actual table file from your tables folder and delete the game details from PinballY. Close PBY and reopen and the table will be gone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?