Arcade1up Pinball

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mihos
    Participant
      @mihos

Looks to be FX3 tables, and like the other arcade machines, of pretty questionable build quality.  Was wondering what the thoughts are about these?  At least they have more than one table, unlike most of their other arcade ‘cabinets’

https://arcade1up.com/collections/pinball

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

Have you seen prices for these yet?  When I was a kid a buddy had a Brunswick ‘Cosmic’ home pin and we had a blast with it.  If these are cheap enough  and you have kids, might be kinda cool.  I’ve recently acquired a few Arcade 1up video game cabs and yes, they are built for home-use.  But wow, I’m having a lot of fun with them and just tonight I’m hacking the board on a 1st gen Asteroids to access the menu, make some adjustments and supposedly there are hidden games.  The new 40th anniversary PacMan is really impressive and surprised me with the quality.  Also got a Golden Tee cheap.  At some point a raspberry pi will probably go in one of them.  The video games very much replicate the old arcade feel and look cool lining the wall, but I’d be hesitant to spend much on one of the pins when you can build a full size vp cab for under 1k.

JR
        Participant
          @jfr1

In a real arcade these would look dinky.  But in my band-cave they’re perfect.  And I’m not expecting them to last as long as my EM has.  I’m about to open up the Asteroids and get soldering, so it may be a goner in 1/2 hour :)

20201103_185853

LynnInDenver
          Participant
            @lynnindenver

The video games very much replicate the old arcade feel and look cool lining the wall, but I’d be hesitant to spend much on one of the pins when you can build a full size vp cab for under 1k.

You gotta be careful with the sub-1k pincabs, especially out of China… some of the Alibaba cabinets are deliberately locked out so you can’t change tables or anything on them, you’d have to completely nuke the install and start over.

We’ve got 3 of the standard Arcade1Up cabs here (Asteroids with RetroPie, Golden Tee, Star Wars), and 2 of their countercades (Centipede, Space Invaders). The only reason we’re not in the market for the pinballs is that, well, I built us out of their target market myself.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
            Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
            Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Mihos
            Participant
              @mihos

I have a few friends who love playing my cabinet, so they might be into this since they don’t have the room or time I have to go to a full cabinet.  I think that last pin table they made was about $499, so maybe a good balance for them.

TerryRed
                @terryred
                MemberContributorModerator

This is totally intended for people who don’t want to build a pin… or simply don’t have the means to do so.

Think about the fact that all the tables that come with each add up to a good amount if you were to buy them.

It comes will some basic feedback as well.

This will simply turn on and play… and actually “looks” like a small pinball cabinet for the most part (unlike the AtGames).

No backglass monitor. If the “purists” in VP land are to believed, an animated backglass doesn’t count for shit… so why should they really care here.

The DMD monitor could certainly look better.

Things that would make a big difference:

• bigger playfield TV
                • ability to add more games

All in all… it’s a fair product for the price. You can’t compare this to custom built cabinets like the community makes.

JR
                Participant
                  @jfr1

You’ve played one of these @terryred ?  At $499 I could see these making sense for some.  I have a friend that is a huge Star Wars buff (he loved the vids of your FP table btw) but like many, not into building/maintaining either a real or vp pin. So he’s thinking about the new Star Wars A1up to add to his pool table room.  Probably would get looked at more than played.

LynnInDenver
                  Participant
                    @lynnindenver

Generally speaking, that’s the entire Arcade1Up lineup – for those who want to play the classics in something approaching look and feel, but no desire to own an original or build a custom cabinet.

I see people poo pooing them because of the cabinet quality… but they’re unfairly comparing them to actual arcade cabinets which were designed to be thrown on location and put up with all sorts of indignities, where an Arcade1Up is meant to be used only in the home and thus doesn’t have to be built like a tank.

We’ve got a (currently gutted) real arcade cabinet (slated to be a driving cabinet), a real pinball, Radiant Silverball, and even a four player custom pedestal… the Arcade1Ups are much easier to move around the house by a wide margin. I actually expect their pinball to be the same way.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                    Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                    Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?