Chime unit settings for Loserman76 tables

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    scampa123
    Participant
      @scampa123

thank you for testing it!  It’s interesting that the table has four chimes since the original (from what I can tell) had a 3 chime unit similar in design to the Gottlieb unit.

so I suppose the challenge with the chime could be in the reproduction itself.

I haven’t don’t any table design, but you make it sound fairly easy to build this test.  I’ll take a look at the DOF Test Table which uses keys to trigger different toys, chimes included and see if I can figure something out.

thanks for the info and, again, for taking the time to test and take a look!

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

Reading all this….I’m not sure if I want a chime unit now??….or HAVE to have a chime unit now!  Fun and very informative stuff.

dondi
        Participant
          @dondi

@Scottacus, as @Scampa noted, the actual Eight Ball pin uses a 3-Tone chime unit. Not sure why it’s coded as having the extra fourth Low-Tone in the VPX version. Not exactly sure where it’s being used in the script. Regardless, this table has a very-special place in my heart; I pumped many-a-quarter in this machine as a youth at the local Pizza place where it stood next to an Asteroids machine and a Sprint I machine. The tones and melodies are engrained in my brain and makes me somewhat sad not hearing the opening melody firing as well as the ‘bing-bing-bing” triple bursts at the end of a turn for tallying each billiard ball score during the bonus routine. Probably firing at around 130-150ms ???

On my cab, I was able to see the chime rods being fired during the triple bursts (and the opening melody) where on the first tone, the bar was struck by the rod, and then not able to reach the bar on the subsequent rapid triggers. Juuuust misses the bar, and the height gets lower-and-lower at each iteration.

I currently have no plans to take the cab apart unless absolutely necessary. Hoping when that time comes, we have a plan-of-attack for mitigating this. Thanks for being engaged in the discussion guys. Appreciated

Scottacus
          Participant
            @scottacus
            MembervipContributor

Since Eight ball runs from a ROM there is no way to go into the table and change the speed of that fast three strike portion of the melody.  @scampa123 I’ll see if I can build you a test table today.

Scottacus
            Participant
              @scottacus
              MembervipContributor

New Chime Speed Test Table is uploaded onto this forum and can be found here: https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/chime-speed-test-table/

I really hate to put something like this up and push other tables down the list on the forum home page but I don’t want this table taking up space on my Google Drive for years and years.  I needed space on my drive which is why the original table from 2017 that you guys were looking for isn’t available. My hope is that by having VPinball host the table, it will be around in 2025 when the next group of chime unit speed junkies are looking for it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
              scampa123
              Participant
                @scampa123

Wow, thank you for doing this!  I’ll take a look.  I actually tried to write something (my first VPX script) and was going to ask a question about it since it seemed as though the my timer methods weren’t getting called and it was in an endless loop…

I’ll take a look at what you did.  Again, thank you for taking the time to do this!

scampa123
                Participant
                  @scampa123

I ran the table to test my chimes and they must be worse than I thought….

Only Chime 1 “rang” 3x at 200ms and 150ms…  Like I said in the previous post my power supply is a Meanwell 24v 29amp, so there should be plenty of power…

In most cases I can hear it attempting to ring again but it clearly doesn’t make it.  I’ve already ordered plunger rods form pbresource…so we’ll see how that goes.  I won’t have a chance to pull it from my machine till the weekend I suppose.

I spoke to PBResource about this as well and they recommended I change my coils since I’m running 24v.  I will be trying A-5195.  He also mentioned pulse width because of the “braking” which occurs with the magnetic force.  I suspect this gets back to the DOF config setting.  Finally he spoke of boring out the plungers (which I believe @scottacus mentions in the Chime Wars post.  This is the lighten the rod…Anyway, things to try!

Chime 1
                  200 3x
                  150 3x
                  130 1x
                  110 1x

Chime 2
                  200ms 1x
                  150ms 1x
                  130ms 1x
                  110 1x

Chime 3
                  200 1x
                  150 1x
                  130 1x
                  110 1x

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by scampa123.
                  dondi
                  Participant
                    @dondi

We are getting better result now messing with CHIME LOGIC in the pinscape config tool. Setting MAX to 100ms (from default of infinity) seems to be the sweet spot. Although not 100%, it’s 1,000% better than what I was getting previously, especially with the Eight Ball table. I finally hear ALL repeated bursts at the end of a ball/turn when tallying bonus. Think we’re onto something here

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?