Color Grade LUTs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Onevox
    Participant
      @rooster

Can someone explain how these are applied in vpx? I see them in Image Manager but not sure where the images are used, and how you use them in a build.  Thanks.

Onevox

Onevox
      Participant
        @rooster

I figured it out. What a difference!

Onevox

Schreibi34
        Participant
          @schreibi34

Would you like to add your findings to the Basic Lighting Wiki? I was never really able to figure this out.

Onevox
          Participant
            @rooster

I’ll take a stab at it and send to you to see if it makes sense.

Onevox

Schreibi34
            Participant
              @schreibi34

Sorry for responding late! Sounds great!

He Who Laughs Lasts
              Participant
                @binoictoothpick

I’m not finding this on the wiki…any progress, or am I looking for it in the wrong place.

Onevox
                Participant
                  @rooster

This is complicated. I will try my best.

Flupper’s amazing TOTAN makes it easier to understand because you can select one of several LUTs with your magnasave button before starting a game.

For each table you can apply a LUT, which is a file that VPX uses to adjust color based on a table of values (… as do most photo and film software. This is much like an Instagram filter that makes a photo look like 1970s Kodachrome or a Polaroid.) This is applied in VPX on the Backdrop options panel, near the bottom. The default on many tables is usually either the ColorGradeLUT256x16_1to1 or ColorGradeLUT256x16_ConSat LUT included in the template VPX table. You can simply Export existing LUTs from one table and import them into another table via the Image Manager, then select on the Backdrop options panel. Or you can create your own (I don’t know how other than manipulating an existing file with Photoshop.)

The LUT works by reassigning color values. If a color is X value, look up the color value on the table, and change it to Y. Some LUTs enhance contrast, make colors more saturated, or change colors altogether. In the latter, you see that with the black light LUT on TOTAN.

I exported several of the LUTs included in TOTAN that were submitted by mlager8, Voglidiacane, bassgeige, and Mandolin during development of the table update. And placed them side by side, along with images of individual pixels to show the variation of the same value in each of the LUTs. The dark 5 squares on far right are the top left, top row first five squares to highlight how quickly the color changes from near black to a dark red hue. Some barely show any change at all, when compared to the VPX defaults.

Here’s the thread where the LUT discussion went down:  https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=40894&page=15#entry432903

Vogliadicane did a great comparison of his series of LUTs: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=42644

I import several LUTs on tables I find too bright, or with not enough contrast for my liking. My preference tends to be contrasty with rich colors  for SS because I like the feeling of depth. (And brighter and flatter for EMs). I find changing a LUT to be a much better way to get the color I like rather than using the day-night slider.

I find that the Mandolin LUT almost universally gets me a look I prefer because I play in a dark room. If you look at Mandolin’s, you’ll see much darker values across the top rows. For me, it gives rich colors and good contrast. But it does not look good on some tables. So usually import mlager8’s and Vogliadicane’s and test them all on each table. (Sometimes the author’s LUT is best, too.)

The LUT option is a huge feature of VPX in my opinion. The devs don’t get enough credit for including stuff like this . Flupper’s script for LUT selection is super cool and kudos to the LUT creators. I’ve tried to make one but nothing as good as the ones mentioned.

Onevox

Attachments:
                  2 users thanked author for this post.
                  Onevox
                  Participant
                    @rooster

@schreibi34

Took almost 2 years, but here you go.  :D

https://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/luts-what-are-they-how-are-they-used-and-how-to-make-a-custom-one/

Onevox

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    Schreibi34
                    Participant
                      @schreibi34

That’s perfect!! Great stuff for pro’s and newbies!!

Maybe somebody (or you) could add a piece of code that somebody else could copy/paste into his own table?

Thanks @rooster !!!

JR
                      Participant
                        @jfr1

Zoiks Pete, this is really interesting stuff.  As a relative newbie, I’m a long way off from exporting stuff into blender and adjusting lighting – or completely understanding what you’re discussing here.  But I’m constantly tweaking my favorite L-man tables with the editor as I also play in a dark area.  I was unaware of this technique.  Just added one of @vogliadicane  luts (sl90) from the VPF thread to Jeff’s Atlantis.  Wow!  Whole new realm for an amateur like me to explore.  Thanks for taking what must have been a large amount of time..and years, to share this.  And to all the other contributors here and elsewhere!  I have a few tables to go mess around with.     oh…what’s up with the Steampunk table?  That was looking really intriguing!

Onevox
                        Participant
                          @rooster

Yeah, LUTs make a big difference.

The idea for the game was better than the actual game play and in the end  bored me. Didn’t feel like a “more than one play” game and the rule set too complicated to understand. So I’m  “retooling” it into a new game with what I hope  will be more unique and interesting … it will be “bona fide.” :)

Onevox

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?