Download speeds been slow lately

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    bha19
    Participant
      @bha19

This only started happening to me on this site last week, but now it takes 8 minutes or more to download one table. Is it just me?

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

I’ve had for a long time download speeds of 330kbps. That is very slow. But, only a few days ago I got a whooping 10Mbps, fortunately, it was when I downloaded a Pup-pack enabled table :) To me it sounds like it is nothing randr can do about it though. Blame the pirates using torrents or Netflix, or whatever is sucking up all the bandwidth between you and the site ;)

I’ve kind of grown used to sucky download speeds. You know my solution ? Start the download, find a awesome re-created VPX table and once you’ve finished playing the download should be done. If not, play better B-)

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

@bha19 what’s your location? In Minnesota it’s very slow for me using Comcast but if I use my cellular hot spot it’s super fast!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

bha19
          Participant
            @bha19

So I downloaded one table and it was fast, but then I downloaded another table and it was slow. I think it is just this site and I am not complaining since I love the site and the VP community. I was just curious.

Gwen
            Participant
              @gwen

I have had the same thing going on for the last week or so. Extremely slow connection compared to what I usually get ( only on this site).  Today wasn’t too bad though.

Gwen
              - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

DeathInc
              Participant
                @deathincclan

Same here. Again, not complaining, but it seem to be the last week or so. Even the uploads are slow. All good. Just wanted to let the proper people know.

LynnInDenver
                Participant
                  @lynnindenver

I suspect that the site’s getting caught in an internet provider’s attempt to basically extort a high bandwidth site into paying them money to reach customers, as it’s not affecting everyone equally, and seems to be a routing issue specifically. Comcast did that to Netflix a few years ago. My speeds appear to have been mostly fine (I haven’t downloaded anything in a couple of days though); we’re using Century Link here.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                  Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                  Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

@lynnindenver

I really think its some backend/sub station/hub thing and from what i see its a known issue and is being worked on but is unrelated to this server/site as i can download anything in seconds using my cellular hotspot. If it was site related it would be slow on cellular too. So it is network related but i sure cant fix it so will need to just wait OR move my server to the east coast!

Sorry for the slowness on downloads but lets hope it gets fixed soon.

The longer its broken the more people are complaining i assume then more ISP’s are looking into it and it will get solved.

for IOS and Android

NailBuster
                      @nailbuster
                      ModeratorMember

fyi…. some more ‘proof’ that its a route issue….

i have PIA vpn service,  so i tried connecting via vpn to lots of different spots around north america on desktop with same url/download file.  most vpn servers were super slow,  but found a couple that were great.  even from berlin is was faster than my non-vpn connection.

huge difference.  non vpn like 1 hour+ to download a 200mb file,  compare to under 1 minute when i connected to mexico vpn….

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      RYSr (Rich)
                      Participant
                        @rysr

My speeds have still been slow since this started, at first 50kb/s and then 100kb/s lately up to 500 kb/s, but varying on time of day. I haven’t seen any pattern. The trace route shows good response times, except for the 2 hops that don’t display results.

It definitely appears to be someone throttling the throughput, depending which area of the internet your located. I wish there was a test that showed throughput per router site, not just the response to a few pings.

I wonder if the server’s IP address has been black listed by some routers, causing a throttling issue? Is the current IP Address new since last week? could it have be reused from a previous problem web site that got blocked?

@Randr
                        Perhaps you could ask your server’s provider to change the servers IP Address, DNS  tables should reset to the new address.

I don’t think the issue is my provider Optimum cable here in NJ, downloads from VPF are fine. But perhaps it’s server is closer or local to me. My understanding is VPinball server is in CA.

Perhaps people that are having slowdowns could list the state they are located in and who their provider is as well as their download speeds since the slowdown started, to give us some clues to where the slowdown is occurring?

Just some thoughts!

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

I was talking to @Randr today and we had a race to download a table.  Mine took about 1-2 mins tops, he is still trying to download it.  I have spectrum, the worst company ever to live next to Monsanto, and no VPN

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

@rysr knowing locations would help but also if people are not seeing slowdowns that would also help. here in Minnesota takes me an hour to download 200mb so it is slow for sure here.

now using cellular I can download 200mb in a min so I still think it’s network issue and I can’t go reboot some router in some library somewhere :)

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

JR
                            Participant
                              @jfr1

Just re-downloaded Lost World on my slow home network here in Cleveland.  Took about the same time, 3-4 minutes, but saw some wildly changing speeds/eta’s.  Slowed to a stop with question mark..and bounced around from 1 day to an hour to 12 hours and then back to a few minutes.  And when you first mentioned doing some changes earlier @randr I noticed pages loading really slowly which was a first.  Really bummed you’re having to deal with this.

DeathInc
                              Participant
                                @deathincclan

I am near Philly. I took me almost 2 hours to download AC/DC pup pack. Usually done in 5-10 minutes. I use Comcast unfortunately. It has never been this slow. All other sites seem to be fine. Even on first page load the images are slow to load.

Hope this helps locate the issue.

BrandonLaw
                                Participant
                                  @brandonlaw

NailBuster wrote:
                                  fyi…. some more ‘proof’ that its a route issue….

i have PIA vpn service, so i tried connecting via vpn to lots of different spots around north america on desktop with same url/download file. most vpn servers were super slow, but found a couple that were great. even from berlin is was faster than my non-vpn connection.

huge difference. non vpn like 1 hour+ to download a 200mb file, compare to under 1 minute when i connected to mexico vpn….

Looks like I’ll be firing up PIA also.  (I keep it off unless I ‘need’ it)

Edit:  Uhhh…Just to get an idea of my before VPN speed…I downloaded a 167mb file…took me 3 seconds.  Wtf.  Was getting <100kb/s this morning.  Night and day difference.  Did you change something @randr?

"Fuck this game. I love it."

randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

@brandonlaw no i didnt change anything… ripping out tile in entryway last couple hours.

Still slow here

for IOS and Android

LynnInDenver
                                    Participant
                                      @lynnindenver

Half an hour or more to download the AC/DC PuP Pack for me (speed is fluctuating wildly from 65-175 KB/sec), so now we’re seeing it over Century Link here in Denver.

As @randr noted, it’s likely a network issue somewhere, and unless his ISP goes and bangs on the door of wherever it’s being slowed down at, it’s not likely to change without the site being moved to another service. I’m suspecting that one of the hops is suffering from bandwidth saturation.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

@lynnindenver agreed. Thanks for the report. i am calling EVERDAY for last 2 weeks about this but like you said someone would need to go to every location along the way and reboot stuff! maybe i need to start driving to west coast stopping everywhere rebooting routers and switches :(

for IOS and Android

bord
                                          @bord
                                          MembervipContributorModerator

St. Louis AT&T fiber – no download problems here. Site loading hangs occasionally in the last 2 weeks but never for long. Usually a reload and we’re back in business.

Rajo Joey
                                          Participant
                                            @joey2001

@randr

Only for your information. I know, you can’t do anything against this. :cry:

Routenverfolgung zu vpinball.com [192.249.122.14]
                                            über maximal 30 Hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms FRITZCHEN [192.168.178.1]
                                            2 14 ms 20 ms 9 ms ip4d16b8fe.dynamic.kabel-deutschland.de [77.22.184.254]
                                            3 55 ms 8 ms 10 ms ip53a99a36.static.kabel-deutschland.de [83.169.154.54]
                                            4 11 ms 10 ms 11 ms ip5886c253.static.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.194.83]
                                            5 13 ms 14 ms 12 ms ip5886bb17.dynamic.kabel-deutschland.de [88.134.187.23]
                                            6 13 ms 13 ms 12 ms 145.254.3.64
                                            7 14 ms 14 ms 15 ms 145.254.2.215
                                            8 17 ms 20 ms 17 ms ae9-100-xcr1.hac.cw.net [195.89.99.1]
                                            9 21 ms 20 ms 21 ms ae31-xcr2.fix.cw.net [195.2.2.138]
                                            10 21 ms 21 ms 20 ms be3001.agr41.fra03.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.14.73]
                                            11 22 ms 22 ms 21 ms be3186.ccr41.fra03.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.0.1]
                                            12 30 ms 31 ms 30 ms be2799.ccr41.par01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.58.234]
                                            13 103 ms 106 ms 101 ms be3627.ccr41.jfk02.atlas.cogentco.com [66.28.4.197]
                                            14 108 ms 108 ms 106 ms be2806.ccr41.dca01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.40.106]
                                            15 118 ms 117 ms 116 ms be2112.ccr41.atl01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.7.158]
                                            16 145 ms 148 ms 146 ms be2687.ccr41.iah01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.28.70]
                                            17 175 ms 169 ms 174 ms be2927.ccr21.elp01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.29.222]
                                            18 173 ms 174 ms 176 ms be2930.ccr32.phx01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.42.77]
                                            19 173 ms 174 ms 173 ms be2932.ccr42.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.45.162]
                                            20 173 ms 172 ms 171 ms be2918.rcr21.b002695-3.lax01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.41.194]
                                            21 175 ms 171 ms 171 ms 38.142.230.226
                                            22 174 ms 175 ms 174 ms tge4-1-dc1-core-1.corporatecolo.com [66.117.1.86]
                                            23 171 ms 172 ms 172 ms csw3.lax1.inmotionhosting.com [198.46.92.2]
                                            24 176 ms 173 ms 173 ms csw4.lax1.inmotionhosting.com [198.46.92.3]
                                            25 170 ms 173 ms 171 ms csw1.lax1.inmotionhosting.com [198.46.92.26]
                                            26 171 ms 171 ms 172 ms server.vpinball.com [192.249.122.14]

Ablaufverfolgung beendet.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?