Experimental Light Mod

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Schreibi34
    Participant
      @schreibi34

This is not the Schreibi34 Wiki! When you read to the end i ask other authors to add their stuff. There are people who know nothing about lighting. Thats why it’s called VPX lighting basics!

About the left colour, yes, the ball is a darker object on the table and if you use a rich orange on the left the ball will be orange near the light. Thats why i’m using a brighter orange on my last tables.

Sliderpoint
      Participant
        @sliderpoint
        MemberContributor

Can you clarify what you you mean by “dark” objects and “light” objects?  I don’t understand you mean.  How did you decide that the ball is a ‘dark’ object?   The ball only reflects the color on the left because of how the light reflection system is hacked (not derogatory) into VP, not because of it’s material or image.

-Mike

Schreibi34
        Participant
          @schreibi34

The darker a colour of whatever image, material or texture on the table the more the left colour will show. I don’t know what hack causes this but if you take one of those multifacet inserts and use a bright colour on the right and fool around with the brightness of the left colour, you can see how the contrast changes. The darker lines will go from barely visible to really dark depending on the left colour brightness. Take the Victory 2.0 table and change the left colour of one of the green inserts. If you dont see a difference it might be my old eyes.   :wacko:

Schreibi34
          Participant
            @schreibi34

One more try to explain what i see.

The left colour lights dark pixels. The brighter the left colour, the brighter the dark pixels. Haven’t tried it yet but it should be the same for the right colour just for bright pixels.

I didn’t code that stuff, i can just share what i see!

Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

I agree with you both. The good thing is that the wiki isn’t owned by anyone or maybe I should say all. There are so much good knowledge out in the forums that is really hard to find and doc is really lacking in many areas. A wiki can be of great help as a lookup tool and I don’t think anything in VP is set in stone. We do things differently. We see things differently, and we are on very different skill levels. And our native language is in some cases also a issue for some, so I don’t expect it to contain perfect Oxford English :)

Never the less. If we could maybe consider adding stuff to it if we feel that it is useful it would be great.

Thank you Schreibi34. :good:

Schreibi34
              Participant
                @schreibi34

OK, i made a few tests to get a better feel for that lighting colour thing. I used some multifacet inserts and fooled around with the colours and brightness. I can’t relly tell if some settings are changing the contrast of the image so i removed this from the Wiki and replaced it with images from the test. So if you guys want to have a look…..

Thanks Mike for kicking me in the nuts. I think it was worth the extra work!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Thalamus
                  @thalamus
                  ContributorMemberModerator

Very nice. I know I’m going to visit and re-visit this entry.  Thank again !

Flupper
                  Participant
                    @philippe

I think your test is affected by the fact that the inserts for the test have only green in them. Only when there is sufficiently enough red and blue in the image, there is substantially effect by changing the color to say orange.

and anothere feature: as said the color reflected on balls is the left one. Not mentioned yet is that the intensity of the light on the ball is equivalent to the light intensity only, even when you use something like rgb(25,18,10) as a very dark color. I exploited this in whitewater, there are a lot of lights in there with very dark rgb colors but high intensity.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Schreibi34
                    Participant
                      @schreibi34

Thanks for the Feedback!

I didn’t use a second colour on purpose. I wanted to Show that doing your homework in Photoshop is way more important then fiddling around with the lights for hours and days like i did in the past. The difference between the inserts is really minimal in this test. The most important difference is the intensity! Like i already wrote in the wiki, I use brighter colours with a lower intensity and the ballreflections will not explode! I like the reflections more subtle. The look is pretty much the same.

Using one or two Zero values for your rgb channels is not a good idea. Same goes for total black. Hopefully a few of the redraw guys will read this. If you guys all agree i would add this conclusion to the wiki!

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?