Cabinet Rebirth! From the ashes a new cabinet will be born

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Thalamus
      @thalamus

Don’t buy a tv if you can afford a monitor. Unless you plan to actually watch the news on it :wacko:

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

Blank check?  Nice.  Best Buy is running their pre-superbowl tv sale fyi.  I’m eyeing a cheap vizio as they have a 40″ 4k which should squeeze right in to my cab.  But I’m sure it is $220 for a reason.  But it will allow me to move my pf tv vertically into a reconfigured wedgehead backbox.

You see this thread? – – https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/is-this-the-new-best-bang-for-the-buck-43-4k-playfield-screen/

TerryRed
          @terryred

As for addressable leds… DOFLinx now has support for MAME to some extent combined with my DOFLinx Effects rom on DOf Config Tool.

What that means is some MX effects can be triggered via MAME memory triggers… others are just triggered from keyboard / buttons.

Here’s examples I showed in my older cabinet setup (when I used to have the arcade panel). This is just DOFLinx Effects… no MAME based triggers like what DDH69 has recently been doing.

..and me “explaining” how it works…

So you can do the same idea with MX Leds on the sides and top of a vertical screen. You dont have to have a fullsize Matrix at the top… it can just be a single strip on the sides and top.

1 user thanked author for this post.
          Tom
          JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

“Don’t buy a tv if you can afford a monitor.”   

Ha.  A while back Thal and I were on this thread that mentions the higher priced Asus and Acer monitors – https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/43-or-49-tv/

BrandonLaw
            Participant
              @brandonlaw

“Don’t buy a tv if you can afford a monitor.”

Ha. A while back Thal and I were on this thread that mentions the higher priced Asus and Acer monitors – https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/43-or-49-tv/

I have that PG43UQ….literally cannot go back from 144 fps.  Problem is…you have that handful of tables that wouldn’t run at 144 fps.  You know when a table is running at 130 fps vs 144 when you vsync…and you don’t want to sacrifice quality…so you upgrade your Video card.  UGH….this vpin life.

Also…if you’re close enough…I have my 43″ Vizio (i forgot the model) gaming TV that I had prior…and it’s fantastic for 60hz.  You can have it if you either come get it or pay to get it to you.  No problem.

"Fuck this game. I love it."

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by BrandonLaw.

"Fuck this game. I love it."

Tom
              naeromagus
              Participant
                @naeromagus

Heck, if you are near me i would give you my mini 2 screen pin. It just sits now  i have my full size cab .  24″ pf 19 Bg.

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation

I wish bro thanks.  I am in Iowa now.  Wish I was back down south

zimbakin
                  Participant
                    @zimbakin

Check out pinscape for everything you need. I think r&r also did a video on LEDs some time ago.
                    I have a video summary of my 4k build. Although, I haven’t done LEDs yet, I did leave space in the cab. Be sure to angle the screen back to allow for LEDs.

Main thing with any TV or monitor is refresh rates for latency + lag-free gaming PLUS viewing angle. The 4k TV in my build (although not the best), works beautifully for lag-free responsive gameplay and great viewing angles. ie. some monitors have great latency, however poor side viewing angles.
                    It might sound strange, however I stood in store and looked at screens for hours tilting my head side-on… the angle your screen will be mounted in the cab.

Hope that helps.

Never take advice from me,
                    you'll end up drunk.

Never take advice from me,
                    you'll end up drunk.

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation

@jfr1
                      here is the old cab, with the vintage plunger.  I may reuse this if I go with a Star Wars or back to the future theme.

JR
                      Participant
                        @jfr1

The truck!  I remember now.  That cabinet looks nice as well.   Having a ball lift is something I may look at down the road.

How’s the Samsung looking?

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation

Samsung looks great.

the ball lift was my volume control for the back box speakers

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

Volume control?  That’s creative.  Use a slide pot?

You’ve inspired me.  I just now finally hit ‘buy’ on the 40″ Vizio I’d had in my Best Buy cart for two weeks.  I know 4k TV’s aren’t anything like higher end monitors but this thing was a cheap gamble and my hope is it will drop right into my cab.   And will let me get started on my Bordog wedgehead and should look better than my old Sony right?  May hit you up with some questions when I hook it up.  Looks like you had some issues to sort out that I also may be facing soon.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by JR.
                            Tom
                            Participant
                              @armyaviation

The difference was very evident.  Mlager8 made a good point, go play a bunch of tables and tell me how many you can read the instruction cards on.  Then when you get 4K and realize you can actually read the cards, it’s the easiest way to tell the difference.  I will hook up my computer later to a 4K and my old 42 inch and take a pic for comparison.

Tom
                              Participant
                                @armyaviation

for anyone who has played a real Whoa Nellie big juicy mellons in real life, what do you think of the cabinet.  I remember when I first saw it I liked it, reminds me of a Disney world prop.  Would be kinda cool to build my cab to look like that

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

I went 4K, 3+ years ago on my cabinet. I could see the difference in older tables that didn’t use any 4K asets right away.

The newer tables we get today look stunning in 4K.

Even for RetroFlair 2… rom didn’t include a 4K pf image on his original table… but the “many” pf images I’m creating will all be in 4K, as the difference is amazing. So I may end completely replacing rom’s original pf image altogether since this is a completely new and different table (or as you will see when I demo it…tables).

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation

@terryred, can you post a screenshot of your vpx graphics preferences.  Just curious on what you have set for 4K.

TerryRed
                                      @terryred

@terryred, can you post a screenshot of your vpx graphics preferences. Just curious on what you have set for 4K.

That is a good default to use to ensure all tables to run well.

Other options like SSAO in game, and reflections offer little visually but hit heavy on performance… and in many cases create graphical glitches,etc.

If needed… options can be enabled on a per table basis in custom table options.

Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @armyaviation

Thanks Terry, I have the same except for the anti aliasing which I will turn off now.  Don’t know what that does anyways

what is the difference between 3840×2160 res and 4096×2160?   Mine says native by 3840 but I thought 4K was 4096?  I put it on 4096 and it looks better but maybe I am missing something

TerryRed
                                          @terryred

Thanks Terry, I have the same except for the anti aliasing which I will turn off now. Don’t know what that does anyways

what is the difference between 3840×2160 res and 4096×2160? Mine says native by 3840 but I thought 4K was 4096? I put it on 4096 and it looks better but maybe I am missing something

All 4K TVs and monitors run natively at 3840×2160 at 16:9 ratio.

They support 4096×2160 as part of the UHD / 4K standard (for 21:9 4K ratio, which we don’t use).

So you are much better off running at 3840×2160 as running at 4096 = more usage of GPU for no benefit and its also scaling your image which you don’t wat… and it may also be running at the wrong aspect ratio.

Keep it at 3840×2160… you’ll thank me later.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by TerryRed.
                                          Tom
                                          Tom
                                          Participant
                                            @armyaviation

mold floor removed.  I am installing a 3/4 inch floor and going to route a 1/4 channel all around to recess the under cab lights.  Sick of the strips getting ripped off in moving…

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 60 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?