New Distraction for MC Chase Amusements

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    LynnInDenver
    Participant
      @lynnindenver

We bought our first Arcade1Up. Well, preordered, then waited agonizingly for release, then dicked around with UPS not being really set up to handle weather setbacks.

“So, Lynn, why buy an Arcade1Up when you already have Legacy of the Stick?”

This is why:

20191107_204541

There wasn’t any way we were going to set up Legacy of the Stick to DO the games in this machine. Even worse, I doubt I could have BUILT something like this machine for anything less than $1K, and this came in at $530 after shipping. And let’s not speak of the wallet shock that is trying to get a real Star Wars (and that’s only one game at that).

I’m already working on achieving high scores. Jedi is the hardest game on here, I haven’t cleared more than one stage on that one thus far. I think I’ve managed to more than double my lifetime play time on Empire at this point. And Star Wars is still a finely focused classic of arcade goodness.

For the record, the yoke is mostly plastic, but I don’t anticipate any issues.

Unless they do something else this crazy, though, it’ll probably be our only Arcade1Up. We don’t really need anything that’s pure stick (that’s what Legacy of the Stick was built for), or four player (see previous), and I added a Taito spinner to the cab on top of it, so we don’t need the Asteroids cab. Plus, well, some plans to build something trackball related. I think they’d have to put out an Outrun cabinet for us to buy a second.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

“And Star Wars is still a finely focused classic of arcade goodness.”

Amen!

The Loafer
        Participant
          @theloafer

I own two mame cabs in various states of “does the job but could Be better if tweaked”.  In saying that they do the job so I’m not really a candidate for these… with the exception of this one. I swear if they have a super sale someday I’m picking one up.  Very cool that the controller although plastic seems to be decently made.

ive also got a racing cab but If they make a disc of tron I’d seriously consider it too

32assassin
          Participant
            @32assassin

looks good for the price.

Hopefully Arcade1Up made an effort to add a high quality controller

(reading the reviews on the new controller seems like its not the case)

but you can defiantly build one (with better materials) for less then 1k

the only thing that will be more then $100  ($449)

would be the NEW reproduction controller + USB adapter

https://alan-1.com/product-category/controllers/

that would leave you with $500   to play with

and given that you can run those games on a PI  or a salvaged PC

you would more then likely have over $450  for  a monitor,  wood and graphics.

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
            https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

looks good for the price.

Hopefully Arcade1Up made an effort to add a high quality controller

(reading the reviews on the new controller seems like its not the case)

but you can defiantly build one (with better materials) for less then 1k

the only thing that will be more then $100 ($449)

would be the NEW reproduction controller + USB adapter

https://alan-1.com/product-category/controllers/

that would leave you with $500 to play with

and given that you can run those games on a PI or a salvaged PC

you would more then likely have over $450 for a monitor, wood and graphics.

I’m also factoring in time to build it. And that I need to rent at least two days of shop time to have access to the level of tools needed to build something like this.

Someone out there has actually put an ALAN-1 into one of these, and it does indeed work. There were rumors that Arcade1Up is/was going to do a premium version with an ALAN-1. (Note: if the controller breaks after the warranty period, we might fit an ALAN-1 to it anyway.)

Most of the “reviews” that rate it as junk are those who are very deliberately focusing on “it’s clearly inferior to the original because it’s not built to the same level of sturdy as required by the original’s need to be put on location and beaten up by the public”, or in shorter words, those who have an elitism entitlement problem on the same level of “but that’s JUST video game pinball, not REAL pinball” and “you should only play that Genesis on a CRT, period”. Plus, those same “dump on it because of high standards” are also most likely outside the target market, which isn’t the hard core home gaming enthusiasts, the target market is the “filthy casuals”, and technically people like me and my husband, who while we’d prefer the real deal, are also pragmatic (and slightly practical) in our view that this is a more than acceptable substitute. :-)

All that said, is the ALAN-1 better? I’d really suspect so, given that the ALAN-1 is pretty much all metal, and the Arcade1Up controller is all plastic, and I’d be quite surprised if it wasn’t so. But it works perfectly fine for the purpose of this one: A home-use-only machine that doesn’t need to weather the rigors of location play. I’ve already been dropping entries into the leaderboards on all three games, after all.

Do note that at some point we’ll get a friend over who actually owns the real deal, and get a proper comparison.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

LynnInDenver
              Participant
                @lynnindenver

I own two mame cabs in various states of “does the job but could Be better if tweaked”. In saying that they do the job so I’m not really a candidate for these… with the exception of this one. I swear if they have a super sale someday I’m picking one up. Very cool that the controller although plastic seems to be decently made.

ive also got a racing cab but If they make a disc of tron I’d seriously consider it too

20191030_185344

We’re still tweaking Legacy of the Stick – I need to redo the control panel to better fit the spinner by moving the center two player positions outward a little bit. And I found and modified a 3d print project for a “clip on” top for the bat handles to make two of them into trigger sticks on an as-need basis. Oh, and our spinner actually came out of a Ghox, so part of the rebuild is to also ensure that we can use the “up down” rocker switch feature in it, which will allow us to actually play Discs of Tron even if we get good enough we have to deal with aiming elevation. We can easily play the original Tron, and Assault, with no real trouble. Well, mild trouble, but I probably need to tweak the right trigger cover so that the finger trigger stops sticking.

LynnInDenver
                Participant
                  @lynnindenver

*casts a Resurrection spell on the thread*

So, added a few more things… including MORE Arcade1Up goodness.

IMG_20210307_115839426

First, the stupidest yet most awesome thing we’ve done thus far… a set of arcade racing chairs (in this case, off a Ridge Racer 5), with their speakers and subwoofers wired to external amps and tied into the sound system of our Console Room. I can feel the rumble strips in my butt when I play Forza on the projector screen. :P

IMG_20210114_192631166

And the current Arcade1Up/other lineup… from left to right:

IMG_20210106_190245624

Original Asteroids with aftermarket marquee, and further modded with a Raspberry Pi and new control panel… we call it “Twinitron”, it does twin trigger sticks and a SPINNER (with a directional rocker in it, it came off an arcade Ghox), so we can play Tron/Discs of Tron/Assault/etc.

The MVSX. Yes, we can do this off Legacy of the Stick, but it’s handy to have the option.

Golden Tee. I consider this to be something of the “dark horse” of the collection, as I’ve enjoyed it way more than I expected, and I actually did expect to enjoy it.

Star Wars (natch)

Space Invaders Countercade.

Centipede Countercade (covers another trackball game, may well be modded soon, Missile Command is NOT a good fit for the form factor)

Ms. Pac Man Countercade. I have something of a soft spot for this one, as that was one of the two arcade games in the hospital therapy unit I was in as a teenager.

bord
                    @bord
                    MembervipContributorModerator

Lynn, do you have any pins? Heck of an arcade you’ve built!

LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

We do have one real pin – Solar Ride (Gottlieb 1979) – and we have Radiant Silverball, our virtual cabinet.

We do want to get another pin, but it’s a matter of timing, money, and COVID.

BTW, Twinitron came about in part because the attempt at trigger stick covers on Legacy of the Stick really didn’t pan out to my satisfaction – it had a level of fiddle just to take them on and off, and the covers weren’t really secure enough to make Assault viable.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by LynnInDenver.
                      JR
                      Participant
                        @jfr1

+1 For Arcade 1up stuff.  Kinda got ..interested as well.  Neat finding the secret menu on Asteroids that had AstDlx.

LynnInDenver
                        Participant
                          @lynnindenver

Huh. I’ll have to try that with the spare screen if I can find the instructions to access it. When we bought the Asteroids from a local guy, he had a spare screen with PCB for it he’d gotten in “just in case”. And I didn’t dismantle the old control panel to make the mod, just replaced it with a piece of MDF.

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

You have to solder a usb cable to the board to hook a keyboard up.  This trick is only for the 1st generation Asteroids.  Must have had last minute right’s issues to have games hidden like this?  Gravitar!

LynnInDenver
                            Participant
                              @lynnindenver

OK, that’s a little beyond what I’m willing to do to the spare PCB right now, especially since we already have a Raspberry Pi in the cabinet, so we already have Asteroids Deluxe available.

JR
                              Participant
                                @jfr1

Yeah, I’m having fun with these stock A1’s for now – but a pi will be going in one at some point.  My band-cade needs Donkey Kong!

JR
                                Participant
                                  @jfr1

…I need that Star Wars …right?

LynnInDenver
                                  Participant
                                    @lynnindenver

The Star Wars is very nice to have… very nice… my precious…

*snap* Ahem. :-)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?