New Wave WIP

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Scotty VH
      @scottt
      ModeratorMember

With winter upon us, I decided to attempt some work in VPX after an hiatus.  To refresh my (limited) skills in the editor, I decided to try to take Cyberpez’s vp9 version of New Wave (Bell Games) (free to mod without permission) and merge it with JP Sala’s Black Pyramid (Bally) (free to mod without permission).  Bell Games basically made a cheaper version of Black Pyramid, replacing the top saucer with a regular trigger lane, and some other things.  I’ve got more work to do in GIMP/Inkscape to get the images to line up properly, but it’s been smooth sailing so far.  If anyone wants to lend a hand, I’m happy to share the playable WIP, just send me a PM.

Screen Shot 10-13-19 at 04.29 PM

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Scotty VH
        @scottt
        ModeratorMember

Here’s an updated image, and a playable WIP.

Screen Shot 10-16-19 at 07.03 PM

Attachments:
        Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Are you saying that there is a second version of New Wave with half the playfield being Black Pyramid or is the wip still needing more playfield changes ?

cyberpez
          Participant
            @cyberpez

What he has looks right to me, I only know of one type New Wave playfield..  I think the only change from BP was its just a switch in the center up top and not a capture hole.

Scotty VH
              @scottt
              ModeratorMember

Sorry for the delay… I was away.  The playfield is 100% New Wave, but the bumper caps and drop targets are still as they were in Black Pyramid.  I’ll update those soon.

Scotty VH
                @scottt
                ModeratorMember

OK… this latest WIP has more accurate bumper caps and drop targets.  And, I shifted the images a bit more so that plastics are more aligned.  If you all concur that this seems to play correctly, then I’ll spend the time to fine tune the images and publish this as an official release.  Update (WIP 5) attached.

Screen Shot 10-22-19 at 01.40 PM

Attachments:
                Scotty VH
                  @scottt
                  ModeratorMember

I just gave it a few plays and can see that the top lanes are way too wide.  Anyone else notice any obvious gaps like this??

Scotty VH
                    @scottt
                    ModeratorMember

I was working on the top lanes, and now the right lane diverter doesn’t work anymore.  This is the type of thing that frustrates me the most about Visual Pinball, is me thinking I understand something well enough to make basic improvments, but then breaking things that I don’t even  understand how they are related.  Can someone take a look at this WIP 7 and let me know what went wrong?  It worked fine in the previous post.    The top lanes are working now, so this should be ready for release soon if someone can help loser me with these basic things.

Attachments:
                    Thalamus
                      @thalamus

I can take a look for you.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ady94yo8i8in2ag/New%20Wave%2071.vpx?dl=0

So, here is what I think you did. You decided to change the diverters in the top of the table without noticing that they where part of a collection. If you open v5 and choose one of the top diverters, what you will see is that also the inlane walls is getting selected. You then maybe deleted what you though was just the diverters ?? But, obviously more than what you expected went.

What I’ve done is to give the script some ssf, added roth ball drop, and made a proper exit. I also copied back what you deleted to layer 11. And now they are not in a collection anymore so you are safe to continue. ;-)

Scotty VH
                          @scottt
                          ModeratorMember

Thanks Thalamus… these changes are great, and it works again! I don’t understand all what I did wrong, but I’ve seen collections so that makes some sense to me.  I’ll post this as a release with plans to make updates with any changes people suggest or contribute.  Thanks again.

cyberpez
                          Participant
                            @cyberpez

I’m curious what issues you have with the playfield?  I based the redraw off of a pretty stripped playfield.  My guess is its built to the wrong scale as it was the first redraw I tried, but should resize ok.  Plastics were also redrawn from some pretty ok top down pics.  I see some getting cut off.  I’d be happy to dig up my psd files and rework them if I knew what was wrong and needed fixing.

Scotty VH
                              @scottt
                              ModeratorMember

That’s awesome, cyberpez.  Thanks for the offer of the resources. I think it looks pretty good, so I’m fine with it as is, but if you see ways to make improvements let me know and I’ll give it an effort.

I probably misspoke…. and I think I did what you said, which is a resize.  I didn’t edit the table image at all, other than blacking out the images for the rollover wires.  I did the resize in Inkscape, where I imported both playfield images, and then stretched/aligned the New Wave to match the Black Pyramid.  It was actually a pretty close match.

The adjustments that I ended up making were for the placement of the plastics, and then the elements of the table as the light and their holes were different, etc.   There may have been some unnecessary or sub-optimal work in my process.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?