Pinup Popper – help Portrait mode configure

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Scooby
    Participant
      @scooby

Hey guys, this frontend looks so promising and the speed in which it returns to the menu after exiting a table is amazing.

Now that I have it installed, I’m trying to configure the wheel and videos to look right. I have read through threads and watched the videos about rotating and moving things like the wheel to look right on my setup. Unfortunately I feel lost.

I run my cab in portrait mode and have so far been able to get the default system media (table videos) to look correct on my setup. However, I can’t seem to get the wheel to rotate or look right.

I also am not able to rotate my old table videos rotated and looking right. My table videos were recorded at a 90 degree rotation to accommodate PinballX. I have tried the .bat file from NailBuster and it runs, but my tables are still rotated when I play them back in either VLC player or within PinupPopper.

Here are some pictures showing where I am. I’ll admit, some of the discussion on these topics such as the code for rotating videos is above my head. I’m happy to re-record my table videos to accommodate this new frontend, but I can’t get that function to work at this point yet either. For that I’ll post in the appropriate thread.

Any help with displaying the wheel and table video rotation is much appreciated! At this point, I’d be happy starting with a properly rotated wheel.  :bye:

Gromit
      Participant
        @gromit

I’m having the same problem… rotated the playfield videos properly, but it’s the actual Popper system videos that are still in desktop orientation. Do all of the system videos need rotating too? Or is there a setting in Popper to start in portrait mode.

As a “former” PinballX user, this new system is amazing! My thanks to Nailbuster for all the hard work in creating the Pinup System and all the others who helped in this project!

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Looks like you set your wheel to horizontal? If your displays are landscape you should have left them  vertical

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

NailBuster
            @nailbuster
            ModeratorMember

yes… truth is no-one has has tried or configured portrait mode.   It definitely do-able but just not documented….it was my understanding that portrait was a rare-breed :)

so if you are ‘super-set’ in getting portrait mode working….I’ll see if i can whip up a short video to show you how to set your menu for it.

in meantime.  set your pupdisplay to NOT rotate… keep it at 0

if pupdisplay is set to not rotate.. you will need to rotate system default videos.. and maybe your playfield videos too….read the instructions on rotating playfield thread here.  but use this zip instead:  http://www.nailbuster.com/pup/Rotate90.zip

and for now… in your mediadir\system is the toolbar.png…. you’ll have to rotate that for your bar.

and if you haven’t yet…   watch this video:

eventually… I’ll release a ‘set’ of files that you can unzip into pinupfolder at start for ‘portrait’…

Scooby
            Participant
              @scooby

I just rewatched NailBuster’s video on setting the wheel and of course, I originally missed needing to click “reset all thumbs” after changes…not just “save”. The wheel is now rotated correctly on my setup.

Gromit,

Since you are also running your cab in portrait mode, how did you rotate your playfield table videos to display correctly from PinupPopper? I can run the .bat file that rotates them 180 degrees, but they still display upside down on my system (third picture above).

Gromit
              Participant
                @gromit

Thanks for the quick reply Nailbuster! Just curious, when you say portrait mode is rare, isn’t that the norm for cab setups? Was Pinup System developed for desktops? I’ve seen Terry Red’s videos and he does show the setup of a desktop system, but this is an absolute must for cab owners… am I missing something?

I’ll do all the rotating and get back to you, but I’m sure it will be fine. I just wanted to know if there was an easier way within Popper itself…

NailBuster
                  @nailbuster
                  ModeratorMember

most people I’ve seen run their cabs in playfield landscape mode.  (taskbar on left of screen when facing cab)….

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

landscape here. If i want to use cab for something other then testing a table i put it on backglass to view

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                    for IOS and Android

Scooby
                    Participant
                      @scooby

yes… truth is no-one has has tried or configured portrait mode. It definitely do-able but just not documented….it was my understanding that portrait was a rare-breed :)

so if you are ‘super-set’ in getting portrait mode working….I’ll see if i can whip up a short video to show you how to set your menu for it.

in meantime. set your pupdisplay to NOT rotate… keep it at 0

if pupdisplay is set to not rotate.. you will need to rotate system default videos.. and maybe your playfield videos too….read the instructions on rotating playfield thread here. but use this zip instead: http://www.nailbuster.com/pup/Rotate90.zip

and for now… in your mediadir\system is the toolbar.png…. you’ll have to rotate that for your bar.

eventually… I’ll release a ‘set’ of files that you can unzip into pinupfolder at start for ‘portrait’…

Thanks. I believe there are others running in portrait mode as well, including Wrd1972 and Borgdog.

Before I run your rotate 90 .bat file, do I need to move all my table videos from my old PBX folder and into my Popper media folder? If not, will the .bat file know or can I tell it where to locate my table videos inside the PBX folder?

NailBuster
                        @nailbuster
                        ModeratorMember

watch all Terrys Videos…and you need to read the thread on rotating videos here for instructions…

Gromit
                        Participant
                          @gromit

Yes, I have the TV screen rotated to start with as I thought it would be a good idea a couple years ago when I built my cab… oh well. I’m the odd man out, along with my buddy, Scooby…

Scooby – I used Nailbusters utility and used transpose “2”… my playfields show fine on PinballX, but for Popper, they need to be rotated 90 counter-clockwise. They show fine in Popper now.

Nailbuster – I followed your video, but when in the PupPack editor, I don’t have a “Select” entry. I do have one that says “WheelBar”… same thing or different. If different, do I need to add a “select” entry?

Thanks!

NailBuster
                            @nailbuster
                            ModeratorMember

wheelbar is same… video was made a while ago…

Gromit
                            Participant
                              @gromit

Thanks for the help NailBuster… hope this topic helps others in Portrait mode. I have the menu system set up the way it was in PinballX. However, is there a way to modify the text that is over the WheelBar? In portrait mode the name of the table overlaps with the System (ie. Black Knight 2000    Visual Pinball X). There is not enough room to fit it in. I would like to remove the text as the game icon has the name of the table on it…

UPDATE: I found it in the PupMenuScript.pup file… you can edit the labels there. The labels are in this format:

PuPlayer.LabelNew(pGameInfo,”EmuDisplay” ,”ARIAL” ,5,16776960,0,2,0,95,80,1,1)

Can you explain what each parameter is for? Is there a way to center the text?

TerryRed
                                @terryred
                                MemberContributorModerator

Straight up…the vast MAJORITY of cabinet users have everything in Landscape (with TV oriented to have the taskbar on the left side, where your left flipper is), as that is the most compatible with emulators, front ends, media, etc.

Yes, there are the rebellious few  ;)  who  insist on portrait including a few (amazing) vpx authors…. but if you want your cabinet setup to be the most compatible and to have the least amount of hassles,  then Landscape it is.

I also, haven’t done any videos for desktop setups…..  you simply can’t create a “cabinet” setup on one video screen that contains all your cabinet screens “normally” setup and still allow you guys to see what I am doing, so I “recreate” a cabinet setup on my desktop for tutorial videos.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                NailBuster
                                  @nailbuster
                                  ModeratorMember

UPDATE: I found it in the PupMenuScript.pup file… you can edit the labels there. The labels are in this format: PuPlayer.LabelNew(pGameInfo,”EmuDisplay” ,”ARIAL” ,5,16776960,0,2,0,95,80,1,1) Can you explain what each parameter is for? Is there a way to center the text?

not fully documented yet, but totallly flexible textoverlay features:  this should get you started:

<screen#>, in standard we’d set this to pDMD ( or 1)
                                  <Labelname>, your name of the label. keep it short no spaces (like 8 chars) although you can call it anything really. When setting the label you will use this labelname to access the label.
                                  <fontName> Windows font name, this must be exact match of OS front name. if you are using custom TTF fonts then double check the name of font names.
                                  <size%>, Height as a percent of display height. 20=20% of screen height.
                                  <colour>, integer value of windows color.
                                  <rotation>, degrees in tenths   (900=90 degrees)
                                  <xAlign>, 0= horizontal left align, 1 = center horizontal, 2= right horizontal
                                  <yAlign>, 0 = top, 1 = center, 2=bottom vertical alignment
                                  <xpos>, this should be 0, but if you want to ‘force’ a position you can set this. it is a % of horizontal width. 20=20% of screen width.
                                  <ypos> same as xpos.
                                  <PageNum> IMPORTANT… this will assign this label to this ‘page’ or group.
                                  <visible> initial state of label. visible=1 show, 0 = off.

Gromit
                                  Participant
                                    @gromit

Thanks Terry and NailBuster…

Terry, you do a fantastic job on the videos… extremely helpful. I fear it’s too late for me to go back to the more “natural” landscape mode as I have way too many tables that would have to be adjusted… so I just need to adapt as best as possible.

NailBuster, thanks for the parameter values… looks extremely flexible, as I’d like to use different fonts (ala Terry Red) and this will allow me to do that.

NailBuster
                                      @nailbuster
                                      ModeratorMember

Good stuff @Gromit

so you’d say you got your Portrait setup working fine ok?

would you mind just letting us know the steps needed to get that working when you get a chance.  that way when it comes up I can just point to this thread.

like you have your pupdisplays set to no rotation?  and did the batch file need editing?  you’re the only one i know using it in this mode so far…

thanks

LynnInDenver
                                      Participant
                                        @lynnindenver

I’ve been intending to set up a cabinet using a display set to portrait here. Just mostly so I don’t have to potentially lean over one or two regular pinballs to see the screen when I do administration and updates. :scratch:

I was able to get the wheel to move where I wanted it by clearing out the parameters for position.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Gromit
                                        Participant
                                          @gromit

NailBuster… I’d be happy to relay the changes I made to Popper to make it look  pretty much like PinballX. Everything looks great and works fine – until it slips into unattended mode and starts cycling through the other tables. Within a couple tables, it slows to a crawl… video grinds almost to a halt. I have to exit the table, which also takes about 20-30 seconds.

I’ll post the steps to convert to portrait mode tomorrow when I have access to my cab.

Gromit
                                          Participant
                                            @gromit

How I setup my PinUpPopper System to emulate the look of PinballX in Portrait mode.

First of all, I want to thank NailBuster for programming the PinUpPopper System and Terry Red for his testing and videos explaining how to setup and configure it.

It’s very simple to configure PinUpPopper to run in Portrait mode. Just follow these steps:

1) You need to rotate all of the videos that appear on your main playfiled monitor. You will find them in the PopMedia folder. You need to rotate the Loading and Playfield screens in each Emulator folder and the Default folder. To determine which method of rotation to use, run each file and take note of the direction the video has to be roatated. On my system, I needed to rotate them 90 degrees clockwise. You need to use NailBuster’s rotate.bat file and ffmpeg.exe. You can find this in the PinUp file download section on the VPinball site.
                                            I needed to change the transpose number to 2. You only need to do one Load and one Playfield video, and then copy/overwrite the rotated video file to all your Emulator and Default folders.

2) Look for the default Toolbar in the Default/System folder. You also need to rotate this image file. I used PhotoShop and rotated the Image file 90 degrees clockwise. I then copied that back into the folder overwriting the old Toolbar image.

3) Open the PinUp Menu Editor and under GlobalConfig, choose Game/Wheel Toolbar. You can set whatever size you would like your Wheels icons. I left the Thumb Rotate to 0 and under Wheel Bar layout, I ticked Horizontal. All other settings I left at default.

4) Now we need to position the Wheel Toolbar near the bottom of the screen, just like it is in PinballX. Open the Pinball Display Configuration utility. We want to move the Game Select bar down the screen. I set mine at width: 1080, height: 300, XPos: 0, YPos at 1500. Choose your main display, set it to Show PopUp (Hide Disabled), Roation: none, do not tick scale video to screen size. You can press the Refresh Video/Aspect button to see where it will display on the screen. Move it to your own liking, then click Save Settings and close.

That should do it! Very easy and runs great. If you have any questions, please let me know and I’ll try to answer them. If I left anything out, I will update the post to reflect any additional changes needed, but I think this should do it!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?