Reccomend me a 3d scanner for providing table resources.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    wrd1972
    Participant
      @wrd1972
      MembervipContributor

In addition to making VP10 tables (with the help of several of the best authors in the community), I also repair and restore real pins. I am currently in a position where I am going to have a shit-ton of real pins coming through my shop that will be getting repaired and restored, and I would like to capture resources for the VP10 community.

I currently have a Brahm Stokers Dracula, Dr Who and Super Mario Bros in my shop for restoration. There are several parts that could use a good 3d scan so that can be used to improve these current tables in a major way. I recently did a 3d scan of the lizard head on Grand Lizard, and with the help of Dark, it turned out fantastic. BTW I will be recreating that table soon based on the current 3rdaxis table.

Can someone recommend a 3d scanner that will work well for scanning objects on these pins in my shop, plus the numerous future ones that will be coming through? This is an area that I just dont have a lot of experience with, and I dont know what they cost. But seriously, there will be a MAJOR SHIT-TON OF PINS COMING THROUGH MY SHOP FOR THE FORESEEABLE  FUTURE and I would be happy to provide resources for the many talented authors in the community.

Once the best scanner is determined and depending on what it costs, I will ask the community to chip in and help fund the purchase of the scanner to capture these resources. I most likely will not float the cost by myself. But if others want to help out with the purchase, I will take the time to provide the scans for the parts on these real pins as they come through my shop, and post them here on this site. There were several folks that chipped in for the Lizard Head scan, and again turned out to be a very nice resource for the upcoming GL table.

The tables that will be coming soon will be CFTBL, TAF, CV, D&D, TZ, TronL, and very likely newer Sterns and JJ’s that will be getting basic maintenance and mods. I would also like a new scan of the Rudy head on my real FH for a new rev of that table which is in the works, and looking very bad-ass!

Lastly I will not be able to finalize, tweak etc.  these scans. I will leave it up to folks in the community to take the scan and the images I provide to make the final product.

Is there any interest in this? Lets discuss. :good:

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by wrd1972.
      Sixtoe
      Participant
        @kiella

Yes, absolutely, I don’t know anything about 3d scanner stuff tho’.

I did a quick google and found this;

https://en.openscan.eu/

It looks like it’s significantly cheaper than anything else on the market…

32assassin
        Participant
          @32assassin

you may or may not need to  buy one.

a photogrammetry process can do the job  if you know how to take the pictures required  for the software to work.

the only real problem with photogrammetry is that if you have smooth featureless objects  = you are destined to fail

Your camera on a tripod and a Turn Table and one of this (you can make from a cardboard box)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Folding-Camera-Box-Lightbox-Photography-Background-Photo-Studio-Light-Tent/202667535980?hash=item2f2fed2e6c:g:mOsAAOSw9Gdcx~~C

take a look at this video and see how the host was able to get better and better results as he improved his pictures.

the same guy used a Kinect to build a 3D scanner

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
          https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

1 user thanked author for this post.
          wrd1972
          Participant
            @wrd1972
            MembervipContributor

Well I just realized how freaking expensive scanners are. I was hoping that they would be along the lines of 3D printers. Nope!

The only way I could effectively scan all of these objects would be to have a real scanner that “just works”. I wont have the time to iron the kinks out of trying photogrammetry and things like that. Just too many pins to turn around in additional to my real job.

If anyone can point me to the best bang-for-the-buck scanner I would be happy to take a look at it.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

Felsir
            Participant
              @felsir

Would it work to use a new generation mobile phone for this? New models come with LIDAR cameras.

See also https://all3dp.com/2/5-best-3d-scanner-apps-for-your-smartphone/

I’m guessing that some cleanup is still needed for the actual use in tables.

Mlager8
              Participant
                @mlager8

To be fair I have not tried out scanning with the new iphone LIDAR camera, but in my experience, anything but an actual 3d scanner does a terrible job. Things like the kinnect camera usually produce very low resolution models and map photos on top of it so it looks good, but as soon as you turn off the texture and see just the model, things fall apart quickly.

At my job, we have a shining 3d einscan pro 3d scanner. It’s a generation or 2 back at this point, but I think it costs somewhere in the ballpark of 5k.
                It’s an amazing asset, but even at that pricepoint, it’s not quite as simple of a process as you might think. There’s different capture modes, tracking parkers, scanning at variable lens settings.

We needed to capture a bunch of desktop printers for a job, and each printer took somewhere between half an hour and an hour to capture. That’s before post process model cleaning.

I don’t mean to disparage you. The scans I’ve done came out great, but you should know going in it’s a process even with a higher-end scanner.

Thalamus
                  @thalamus
                  ContributorMemberModerator

Believe I saw @knorr using a scanner at some point. If I’m right, maybe he will be able to shine some light to you question.

Knorr
                  Participant
                    @knorr
                    vipContributor

@thalamus I used flat scanner for the playfield but wrd asking for 3d scanner.

Btw @wrd1972, would love to make a tron legacy table :)

32assassin
                    Participant
                      @32assassin

their are multiple DIY  options to choose from  ,  You defiantly need to read up on each option

I’m not sure how well they work or how much post clean up you will need to do

I’m not sure you will find an option out their (cheap or expensive) that is just “going to work”  when you press the scan button.

https://all3dp.com/2/best-diy-3d-scanners-you-can-build-or-buy/

$240

$170

https://www.3dprintersbay.com/he3d-ciclop-diy-3d-scanner-for-3d-printer?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-aGCBhCwARIsAHDl5x9uNbqg5rJBUc4I9PWZBLVy1esxLOVXLoStR0ptCvC-aqur7Udmf4IaAjOuEALw_wcB

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?