Shared Roms

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    drickman156
    Participant
      @drickman156

I was curious if anyone has ever considered creating a shared roms folder though a cloud solution such as dropbox? I ask because it seems like it would allow you to have a “virtually shared” pinball machine where you’d be sharing and competing with your friends’ high scores. My biggest concern would be the same file being accessed simultaneously causing it to become corrupt. But I wanted to see if anyone has tried it with success or failure, and also get the community’s opinion on the idea.

bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

I’ve seen screenshots of a head to head vpx server but I’m not sure the status of that project. Would love to see it happen someday!

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

Rascal a great contributor to vp had this working many years ago! So it does work!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

Yes. I’ve seen the same screenshot and I know that Horsepin started on some cloud high-score system where the table was validated being set the same.

drickman156
            Participant
              @drickman156

That’s crazy, I just read Rascal’s story on VP forums and donated earlier today.

Funny part is the friends I’d be interested in sharing with are all better players, so I’d really just be wiping out the few high scores I’ve accumulated. Maybe I’ll practice a bit before diving in.  ;-)

Thanks for the response.

drickman156
              Participant
                @drickman156

I’ve seen screenshots of a head to head vpx server but I’m not sure the status of that project. Would love to see it happen someday!

This actually sounds like playing multiplayer live… which would be awesome! But way more complex than what I’m thinking. I’m just interested in having my high score show up on someone else’s table the next time they boot it up.

Thalamus
                  @thalamus

If you want that. The nvram needs to be shared for at least the vpm tables. Or you could make something out of pinemhi. I believe there used to be a webside where the scores got shared ?! Personally I find it pointless and this is why. No machine is the same, there will be differences in gameplay due to performance reasons. There is a huge difference between someone playing a desktop PC vs me running on a cab with a very sensitive tilt bob. Not to mention table settings, rom settings …. the list is LOOOOONG.

For a friendly competition, look no further that what Scotty runs on this site. Invite your friends to play max 50 games and try to agree about at least how the rom and other settings should be. Then you might even get others to join :)

Example – desktop play

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3711-tales-of-the-arabian-nights-colorization/?do=findComment&comment=40986

… I should add though. This guy is trying to get to every mode – it just just to show you what I mean.

drickman156
                  Participant
                    @drickman156

If you want that. The nvram needs to be shared for at least the vpm tables. Or you could make something out of pinemhi. I believe there used to be a webside where the scores got shared ?! Personally I find it pointless and this is why. No machine is the same, there will be differences in gameplay due to performance reasons. There is a huge difference between someone playing a desktop PC vs me running on a cab with a very sensitive tilt bob. Not to mention table settings, rom settings …. the list is LOOOOONG.

For a friendly competition, look no further that what Scotty runs on this site. Invite your friends to play max 50 games and try to agree about at least how the rom and other settings should be. Then you might even get others to join :)

Example – desktop play

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/3711-tales-of-the-arabian-nights-colorization/?do=findComment&comment=40986

… I should add though. This guy is trying to get to every mode – it just just to show you what I mean.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Thalamus! I did have some concerns about people wanting to tweak their own table settings, but this all came about because I have a couple of friends building cabinets after playing on mine, so at least that part would be apples to apples. In the end I think you’re right, I just liked the idea of seeing someone’s initials pop up as a challenge.

But I think I’ll take you up on the “Game of the Week” challenges. Sounds fun!

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

Your very welcome. And having friends building cabs. Don’t stay at home. Visit your friends, play on their machine and then take the GC. That is much more fun, especially while enjoying a beer or … five. B-)

drickman156
                      Participant
                        @drickman156

Couldn’t agree more, but none are close unfortunately. Still, when we do get together there is no better night of bonding than drinking and cursing at unfortunate ball drains.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?