Sound issues with Star Trek LE

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mirkin
    Participant
      @mirkin

Hi all

I have an odd issue with this table.

For some reason, since I upgraded my CPU the sound has started stuttering on this table and I have no idea why.

I have had slight issue on other tables since I upgraded but this one is awful.

I’ve tried swapping the audio device for the sounds and music but nothing seems to help.

The sound effects are fine, it’s just the ROM sounds that are bad. If anybody can offer any advice I’d really appreciate it since I love this table.

Thanks for looking.

DJRobX
        @djrobx
        MemberModerator

First please be sure you’re using the latest VPM betas, I’ve done a ton of work trying to address sound issues.

I had similar issues on my cab when I upgraded to an i7 4790k.     If VP was set for Vsync=60 made for VERY bad sound in VPM.   Setting tables to vsync = 1 resolves it for me.  After upgrading to Windows 10 those problems went away and I can use vsync=60 as I could before the processor upgrade.

Both VP and VPM use the same throttling code to periodically wait to get the game to play at a specific framerate, and I suspect newer, faster CPUs may have problems with this code.    The faster your CPU gets, the longer it needs to idle.

Another thing you can try, with newer betas in regedit:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Freeware\Visual PinMame\globals

set cpu_affinity_mask to 01.  to lock VPM to CPU core #1.

Mirkin
        Participant
          @mirkin

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve tried all the things you said but on this table nothing seems to work.

Just to be sure about the affinity, there was no key called cpu_affinity_mask in globals even after upgrading to the latest beta so I made a dword with this name and set it to 1. Was this the right thing to do?

Changing vsynch to anything except one gives me ball stutter by the way.

Cheers

DJRobX
            @djrobx
            MemberModerator

Yes that is right.    Can you give me more details about your setup?   OS, VP settings, VPM settings, video card, etc…

Are you using ddraw=0 or ddraw=1?  Another setting you can play with is at91jit in the st_161h ROM section.  You can try setting it to 0.   For most this makes sound worse rather than better, but you can try it to see what happens.

Unfortunately these sorts of performance problems are tricky to deal with and things that solve them are sometimes counter-intuitve (like you putting in a FASTER processor and seeing worse performance).   You might also try turning vsync on for vpinmame.   If you get ball stutter with other settings in VP, your system may have trouble with the throttling code as I mentioned before.   Vsync causes VP or VPM to use the video card as a means to throttle instead of the looping waiting for the system’s clock to reach a certain time.

Mirkin
            Participant
              @mirkin

Rob

VPX is so much fun and so frustrating at the same time. Getting it working properly is now more of a hobby than playing it!

Anyway, my hardware is as follows.

Quad core I5-750 2.67 Ghz processor (or  i7-870 at 2.93Ghz which gives the issues) with 8GB Ram and 2GB GTX660Ti GPU. Windows 7 64 Bit.

I’ve attached my VPX and globals settings.

As you can see I’m running full screen  mode and using VPM 2.8.

Ddraw is set to 0 (I’m 95% sure but can’t check right now) I changed it from the default to allow full screen mode to run.

Can you tell me exactly where to find this please. “at91jit in the st_161h ROM section”

:bye:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?