Storage footprint for virtual pinball collection

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    zoemorn
    Participant
      @zoemorn

Hey, really newbie question but i couldnt find anything around this via search on the forum. I’ve not even entered the virtual pinball realm yet, totally just in “prep mode”

Question is targeted towards you folks that have large virtual pinball collections of various virtual pinball apps/emus etc.

What kind of storage footprint are your collections using?

Obviously i know that “MORE” is better for storage ha, but would be helpful if you have a large collection that includes multiple platforms and lots of tables to provide the amount of TB’s that its taking up on your hard drive(s) just as a point of reference so i can know what i need to be shopping for.

Thank you and cant wait to dive in.

The Loafer
      Participant
        @theloafer

That’s a good question.  It used to be that everything VP related was fitting no problem under 100 GIGS. But the advent of PUP packs and 4K tables have made many releases over 100mb in size (for VPX tables) and 1 gig for some PUP packs (because of videos).  So whatever storage space I am taking up is irrelevant, what is important is to understand just for VPX itself, never mind the others, the storage needs will only grow.

So personally I have an 1 terabyte SSD for my C: drive and I wouldn’t go lower.  I think that 1 TB should keep you in business for a while but someday, you’ll outgrow it but you may also outgrow your GPU etc before then LOL, just hard to tell.  I also have a 3 or 4 terabyte D: drive as a “work space” and temp area/backup, etc.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        DeathInc
        Participant
          @deathincclan

I have a 120g SSD drive for my OS. And a 500g SSD for my tables and media. I am half way filled on the 500g SSD with Virtual Pinball, Future Pinball, Pinball Fx2 & 3 and all my PUP media. When it starts to get close to filled I will get a 1TB drive that will be cheaper then they are now.  I also have a regular 500g hard drive for work space (downloads,drivers,misc) I never like installing anything but the OS and the essentials on my C: drive. This way if something happens, I can always do a nice fresh install. But thats just me.

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

1 terabyte SSD here as well

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
            So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
            for IOS and Android

bord
              @bord
              MembervipContributorModerator

1 TB SSD with plenty of room left.

zoemorn
              Participant
                @zoemorn

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful, and so quick! i left a thanks on each one for your trouble.

thanks  @theloafer  for breaking out those rough estimates for larger releases and size of PUP packs.  so it sounds like from what you and others have stated that starting out with at least 1 TB should last awhile on storage for everything Pinball and then having a dedicated OS drive (ssd) for the OS. This is pretty easy to swallow, i’m coming from messing around in the emulation scene where all the stuff there can rack up into the multi-TB range so didnt have a clue what the virtual pinball world might be like as i have read there are lots of  ‘real world’ tables as well as ‘new user made’ (unsure about the proper lingo ha) tables so figured likewise the storage space could get crazy for hoarders.  :)

The Loafer
                Participant
                  @theloafer

Yes using a pincab and due to large size Of data I find ssd drive to be a must to cut down on loading time, for both the OS and for all the pinball related files.  Although many prefer to separate OS and work stuff (there is strong logic here!), I myself find the quality and reliability of the current SSD drives to be of high enough standards that both can be one and the same.

keep in mind I love living life dangerously :)

DeathInc
                  Participant
                    @deathincclan

Yes you are my friend. Yes you are.

Regular harddrives have some warning to failure. Their is always the freezer trick. When SSD’s go, they are gone.

zoemorn
                    Participant
                      @zoemorn

I had that observation and self-question  just the other day: though SSD’s are great in terms of speed, what kind of indicator do we use for knowing we’re close to end of life?  realizing a HDD can just DIE on you suddenly too but like @deathincclan mentioned, often theres some tangible audible cues or occasional error messages indicating data issues. Do SSD’s have health markers to provide indication that “hey, time for a replacement here”  ?

DeathInc
                      Participant
                        @deathincclan

No, they just go bye bye. I have experienced this more then once. It sucks!

This is why I prefer a seperate OS drive.

And backup your Vpin drive often.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?