There needs to be some professional courtesy here that is lacking

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

Nothing chaps my ass more than someone putting months into building a table and then finally releasing it, and then some chode decides to release their crappy table or the millionth update to fix some small insignificant fix of their table.  For the sake of respect, can we please allow someone the small courtesy of having their table on the front page for atleast a freakin day.  It happened to Bounty Hunter the same day released and then today to City Slicker.  Wait your fucking turn.  I wanted to release a table one time but @mlager8 wanted to release Escape from the lost world.  I think i fealt guilty only waiting like 3 days.     Show some damn respect……….

makmak
      Participant
        @makmak

Maybe the “frontpage thing” is not the best way to present new work? Thats my impression. How can you know at all its your turn to upload? There is no “row” or sth you can lineup…

njk70
        Participant
          @njk70

Frankly it wouldn’t have even crossed my mind. Guess it will now (not that I will ever make a table as I have the artisic skill of a preschooler).

xenonph
          Participant
            @xenonph
            MemberContributor

Maybe only have new uploads on one part of front page towards the top, and updated items on a seperate part, below.

So they can update their item 20 times a week if they want, but it will never push someones new upload out of view.

I have actually missed new tables a couple of times because of this on other sites.

Now I just go to the download page, and scroll all the way down to make sure I haven’t missed any recent uploads.

PEandS1Ws
            Participant
              @peands1ws

Respectfully disagree. The All Downloads is just that, all new tables but also anything else that users upload. There is a downloads area for new tables and it’s page currently has uploads from as far back as Feb 23 on page 1. Just set your bookmark to that page https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/categories/visual-pinball-tables-area/
              The waiting your turn thing is really impossible to go by because uploads do not appear automatically due to the admin approval process. It’s hard to know when others are releasing stuff since you may have submitted something several hours ago before you even knew a new table was being released.

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

Well for someone who has been burned by it when I worked a long time on a table it is real and for someone that has waited because I saw someone else upload a new table, it is possible.

makmak
                Participant
                  @makmak

OK, I will wait with my table update for lets say two days. In the meantime there were two new uploads. Wait again two days till the end of 2025?

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

That’s rediculous.  If you have been around long enough you can see that we don’t have big tables uploaded every day.

what if everyone was so hyped about let’s say, pizza time for example.  People have been watching it for months and all the sudden it comes out.  People are so excited, it’s on the front page being promoted, and I decide to move a peg on my Miss World table and upload version 1.5, 10 mins after it’s released.  Not disrespectful, I can’t wait a day??   You say that’s an unrealistic example but it happens all the time

Zorvez
                    Participant
                      @zorvez

Sounds like the easiest solution is a a simple redesign of the front page. No reason you can’t have major table releases get more real-estate on the front page and have an area for simple table updates. This I assume would require someone to curate content, so that is the main downside I see. I use steam and they seem to be able to intuitively let me know about new game release and updates to games I already own.

This way no one has to wait.

Let’s have our cake and eat it too.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

Since I load this forum several times a day, normally at least. I have almost forgotten that there is a front page. But, I see the point of both Tom and the rest not fully agreeing. As suggested by a few of you. Front landing page should probably be considered changed to only show new releases. And if I had it my way it would be only vpx tables ;-) :wacko: :whistle:

Luckily, that change would not be up to me to implement, so don’t fear that it is going to happen exactly that way B-)

And, if such a change is going to come. It would have to be done when randr has some extra time to spare. Expect it to be the way it is for a while still.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                        makmak
                        Participant
                          @makmak

@armyaviation

“That’s rediculous. If you have been around long enough you can see that we don’t have big tables uploaded every day.”

What is a “BIG” table, which one is not so big and which ones are small? (and who dares to decide?) You may say “Frankenstein” is a big one, but its not my taste, i dont like it very much and i play it very seldom cause I dont like the table layout, play and music (for my taste just annoying). Nevertheless it is a superb simulation of the real thing I bet, but for me its not THAT BIG (change “Frankenstein” for whatever you like). And always: the uploader thinks his own work is worth being on the frontpage for at least one or two days, no matter what its upload was, not? So, what to do? Just look at “uploaded vpx tables”, its just one click away and dont worry about the frontpage… :good:

Tom
                          Participant
                            @armyaviation
                            MemberContributor

@makmak, I simply used the term”big” to describe the setting for a much anticipated table release.  I don’t categorize tables as big or small

you uploaded endless summer, I remember the wip and I followed the progression.  I imagine that when you completed it, you were proud, happy, excited to see what people were going to say about it.  You wanted everyone to try it and you probably went back and looked at the support thread or looked at the number of downloads.  Imagine now that I uploaded my Hardbody table 2 mins after you released yours.  Now I have the front page, and probably some aren’t going to see or remember to look for yours.  There are no rules and I can do that all day, but I respect the work you put in and I wouldn’t do that to you.  That’s common courtesy :yes:

makmak
                            Participant
                              @makmak

and I remember being disappointed when it vanished quickly from the frontpage ;-). Thats bad luck for me, but I did some updates, got some responses and all ;-). Still you never know how long your upload will be “on top” cause you never know how many people are waiting two days after a “major table upload”. Say there are 5 or six people waiting…hmmm..the one first uploading after two days of waiting will be the loser.

For highly anticipated tables we all are looking at all the sources and sites to find out about the progress and so on, and we wouldnt miss it, even it wasnt shown on the frontpage at all, right? (even if you are not a facebooker ot however you call them ;-)

Tom
                              Participant
                                @armyaviation
                                MemberContributor

ok your right.  We have 5 tables being uploaded a day….

makmak
                                Participant
                                  @makmak

but there are at least 5 “any uploads/updates” in 3 days on the frontpage, that would be waiting for their time to come. Best time to share: mondays, worst time: weekends, ;-)

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation
                                    MemberContributor

Pat yourself on the back, your right… :negative:

TerryRed
                                      @terryred
                                      MemberContributorModerator

It’s amazing how important that front page is to some of us, isn’t it?

I know when I’ve worked long and hard on something, I always take pride on seeing it appear on the front page.

I can relate to what Tom means in that it can be frustrating to work many months on something and finally upload it for the first time…only to have it no longer appear because of a bunch of other uploads…or “updates” that happen in the same day which also show up.

I don’t think anyone is intentionally trying to steal the spotlight.

What is considered a “big” upload? Yah that’s just a mess.

All of my PinEvent uploads are considered “big” by many people… but should they not be included because a some people only want VPX content?

I’ve been working for the last 3+ months so far on a new FP table RetroFlair 2 (not just a mod).. and this table is a “big” deal because its doing many new things never seen before on FP and VPX, and it is highly anticipated by many. It’s a hell of a lot more work than a re-skin or recreating the same old VP table over and over again. Should it not be included because it’s FP?

I think “updates” shouldn’t be on the main splash area…but maybe have a smaller area on the bottom. I actually stress out if I need to make a major change to the description of my uploads (which is really important at times), only to have my upload appear on the main splash area…and show notifications that it’s an “update” when it was only a change / correction to the description text.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                      Thalamus
                                        @thalamus
                                        ContributorMemberModerator

With that many similes – I though you would get it Terry. I simply don’t care for the front page, I’m just anal about people who uploads content without a screenshot. They do get deleted after a week or so.

makmak
                                        Participant
                                          @makmak

@armyaviation

(OK, I see, your opinion is the better one, theres no need for discussion or finding a fine solution for your “problem with respectless users”. ) delete this part!

Maybe you just had a bad day, have a beer and plunge some balls :good:

Tom
                                          Participant
                                            @armyaviation
                                            MemberContributor

@terryred, the “big” comment was purely an adjective for a table that has been anticipated for a while.  I am not discriminating.

@mammal, I am not having a bad day and both of the tables in my example were not even mine.  Do not take this the wrong way at all, you have uploaded 1 table.  Build a bunch more and see if you opinion changes and you still tell me I am wrong.

the whole point was to extend the same courtesy to all table builders, don’t care if it’s Bord or the new guy.  And let’s argue about courtesy………that’s the problem with this damn world today.  This is why some of the bigger table builders have left, am I wrong?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Tom.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?