What was the very first real pinball game?

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Crakkers
    Participant
      @crakkers
       Cool! as a sidebar note – you brought notice to Y-town, and had a new poster named Crakkers suddenly chime in. Hmmm…

Yeah, I came in looking for the answer to the question posed in the thread title and couldn’t resist following the clues, which lead me to learn a little bit of the interestingly chequered history of a place I would not have otherwise heard about.

By the way, my research lead me to “Old Jenny”, a version of ” Whiffle” being the first coin-op pin,. It was made by Yohio Mfg, also from Youngstown  and formed by the same people from Automatic Industries. Guess I was close, but no cigar.

Look forward to seeing Bunnyboard when it’s released.

Cheers.

Tom
      Participant
        @armyaviation
        MemberContributor

It’s crazy all the different games that claim were the first… who really knows but all articles point to one fact being the same.  In late 1930 and early 1931, there was a movement that caught on where a lot of people in one town thought it would be a great idea to make a ball roll around while hitting things.  And look where we are at today.

And what’s even crazier is the fact that it happened right in the middle of the Great Depression and continued straight through it. From that, to gambling devices, being banned and destroyed in mass numbers, the mafia to arcades in the 70s and 80s, and now Virtual pinball.  30 years from now they may be saying that virtual pinball saved pinball from extinction during hard times and look at what we have now…

thanks Youngstown!

sheltemke
        Participant
          @sheltemke

It’s not that easy question for me becouse i was a kid (5-6 years old) and it was an EM machine. I remember all SS pinball’s name what i played at childhood some year later that’s an easy story. But the first one i’m not sure :( (i bet it was Hearts and Spades but not sure unfortunately). (or similar like that).

By the way my first feelings with pinballs were so amazing than i still play it. My Grandpa was a headwaiter. We travel to the city where he worked and i played a pinball. I was sad becouse i lost the balls too fast. He said “don’t worry let me open it”. He opened the machine and gave me many many 5 Forints (that was the money here in Hungary). I played from morning to night@ that day it was so amazing i never forget. :)

JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

Speaking of Youngstown tune-ups – I lived a  mile away from where Danny Greene got his.  My mom heard the explosion and my bus ride home from school got diverted.  I now live a mile away from where an earlier attempt to blow him up happened – but he rode a bathtub down from the 2nd floor to the backyard and survived.  Fun times.  There’s still a KABOOM mural on the building next to the still vacant lot.

7106974989_3c13003fbd_o  The movie Kill the Irishman is not a bad depiction of Northeast Ohio circa 1977 and it’s ties to …well…stuff.  And that’s not to be confused with Scorsese’s overly long movie on N-flix.

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

Haha that’s classic

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?