Windowed Mode

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Diguelo
    Participant
      @diguelo

When I installed this editor 10.6. beta, there isnt an option to provide a windowed output, is this an oversight or am I missing a setting. When I first joined I used 10.6.1  now ive lost the window mode option that was in the resolutions list.

I have the Beta code listing and am able to add it in myself, but I dont want to break the chain of Github releases. Any chance a check box can be thrown in to add window mode to all resolutions, just for those that want it?

Silver ball go that way, as eyes went this way, GAME OVER !!

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

When I installed this editor 10.6. beta,

• Hope that was a very long time ago.

I have the Beta code listing and am able to add it in myself, but I dont want to break the chain of Github releases

• What do you mean here ?

I hope that the first sentence should be 10.7 beta. Isn’t the options there ? I must admit, I haven’t looked, since it re-uses what I have in 10.6.1. I expect it is in the menus like before under video preferences. Can’t help it. Find you post confusing.

Diguelo
        Participant
          @diguelo

Delete it then if the editors no longer used. Bad post.

Thalamus
            @thalamus

No, beta for 10.6 is over. It is release as 10.6 and a small patch 10.6.1 – I have a feeling that you where talking about 10.7 beta in the first sentence, but, can’t be sure. Do you still have problem ? I’m just not sure what you mean. Maybe a picture will explain it better ?! Or is it maybe that you are confused that the borders for window mode is gone and you can’t move the picture ? If so, press ESC once.

Diguelo
            Participant
              @diguelo

Probably I didnt make it clear enough.

So about 6 weeks r so ago. I decided to start playing instead of watching. I downloaded the

oversion

It works great for playing all the tables. However, when it was first installed it had one screen resolution listed that was a Windowed Mode. Since last weeks Microsoft we are going to change Windows 10 for Windows 10 update and the new Nvidia driver set, the one resolution that opened in a window hwen you play the table, has disappeared. I used to be able to drag DMD screens from the horizontal screen and place them on top of the table in play so I could see the score and film without having to swap screens.

My request was purely to add a windowed mode check box onto the resolutions screen so each resolution could be played in a window leaving the editor in the full size resolution behind it. And enable the DMD placemnet by drag.

I downloaded this editor version because its the most common download in the list.

Ive got FP and BAM installed as well but on a different folder. Seeing as a recommendation from someone said they dont use that version I just use the version above. Is there a newer version Im missing.

Thalamus
                @thalamus

Only start VPinballX.exe from visual pinball folder. Go to preferences and then pick the resolution you want and make sure that you also pick windows mode. It is either that or fullscreen. If the windowed mode is of less resolution than your main screen, You will have free space to play on.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Diguelo
                Participant
                  @diguelo

This is why Im asking if there should be a windowed mode and if not then can one be added. All the resolutions I have are for JUST full screen resolution, there are no specific Windowed mode resolutions or a check box for same.

As you have answered my question, I will amend the main code I downloaded from Github and make an updated version for me to use, then it wont go upsetting anyone.

Thanks for the advice

Thalamus
                    @thalamus

Are you not seeing this dialog box ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ho6olzf5fh2du2o/My_video_settings_2018-11-26.PNG?dl=0

This is my cab settings, a while ago, might have changed something since then, but, not the resolution. This is windowed mode in 4k, since I don’t have force exclusive fullscreen mode ticked.

Diguelo
                    Participant
                      @diguelo

No heres the bottom of my video resolutions list.

There are NO window mode listings.

There used to be, but now this is all I have. I dont want to start messing around in someone elses code unless its vital that it happens.

This is my Options below. Which brings me back to the original post of (see top start comment)

Attachments:
                      Thalamus
                        @thalamus

This is windowed mode in 4k, since I don’t have force exclusive fullscreen mode ticked.

You have !

LynnInDenver
                        Participant
                          @lynnindenver

Resolutions

…that’s weird, because I still personally see a “1080×1920 (Windowed Fullscreen) in my VPX settings, and I’m on W10 2004 and 10.6 final. (I don’t know if it displays the Windowed Fullscreen on 4K monitor resolutions, as I don’t have a 4K screen in the house to test with.)

Also, update your video card drivers via the manufacturer’s driver download. Windows 10 can and will bork up advanced video card driver features on updating, which can even have an effect on things like “detected resolutions”, because it only updates the underlying hardware driver and doesn’t go after the add-on video card software packages in the updating process. It’s possible that VPX can’t tell anymore what the screen resolution is because the driver software is no longer capable of actually reporting it to software because Windows Update broke that part of it’s communication chain.

But I also see what you’re asking. First, any of the other resolutions that’s NOT native (smaller than your screen), you can select one of those, and it will come up as a smaller window on your screen, albeit without a title bar or borders, and let you still see other windows behind. If you need it to come up with title bar and borders, and want it officially as a checkbox option, you’ll need to pipe up over at VPF, likely in the 10.7 Beta thread over there, and ask for it; the devs don’t really spend any time over here.

On moving the DMD window at will, we’ll need to see your PinMAME settings when you have a table playing, and then we can advise you how to move it around, the procedure changes a bit depending on whether or not you have external checked.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                          Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                          Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Diguelo
                          Participant
                            @diguelo

As for the windowed mode, I had one initially, made it easy for sliding windows around on the two screen setup Im using. However, wierd or not, I now dont have a windowed selection.

Video GTX 970 is always updated on the day of driver release, its a never ending battle with Microsoft changes and new game releases. The windows 10 installation is on feature pack 1903 and the VPX Editor is the latest installation pack thats shown on the forum downloads page.

Ive got all my tables backed up as well as roms and nvram and things. But this one is causing me headaches looking for what caused the Window selection to disappear from the resolution selection screen. Ive only had the installer in for around 6 weeks or so when I joined the forum, since then two updates, one major, one minor have been made to Visual.net 4.5 as well as 4.8 and other featuire pack additions, the minor one didnt alter anything but a coding typo in a system file which has nothing to do with VP.

Only thing I can think of is to clean it out fully inc all registry input and reinstall. But in doing that it opens the way for a repeat action to take place.

The other resolutions in the list all just appear as fullscreen no window border, just the table shape changes and the pixel density obviously. Ive tried pretty much every setting in the menu to see why this has occured but as yet, no luck.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

I think you should try to download one of the old releases. Just extract the VPinballX.exe from it – use that to see if you in some way can get the option back. I’m still a bit confused though, why you’ve got use fullscreen ticked, when you are talking about windowed mode.

LynnInDenver
                              Participant
                                @lynnindenver

The other resolutions in the list all just appear as fullscreen no window border, just the table shape changes and the pixel density obviously. Ive tried pretty much every setting in the menu to see why this has occured but as yet, no luck.

…that’s weird, because I get a “not full screen” window with anything under my monitor’s resolution, albeit without title bar and borders, not an attempted scaling to fill the monitor.

Does your monitor “blink” and reindicate the selected input when you start a table when using a lower resolution setting?

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                                Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                                Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Diguelo
                                Participant
                                  @diguelo

Thats what used to happen on mine. And now I have yet another twist to the tale

A properties window now opens up with the editor every time and it been turned off on the control box so you cant close it. Im going to look at the code and see what exactly is going on here, things just dont make any sesne, (thats sense but seems to be what im getting)

Im going to do a full cleanout and reinstall, what OS is this written on / for please?

Quite likely all this is because of the damn featuire updates, (ponders Windows 7 double boot.){{Or maybe even a linux double boot with Wine}}

Oh and Thalamus, Ive tried all the resolutions with and without FS checked, doesnt make a scrap of difference.  Thanks for the help, its all appreciated.

Like Thomas Eddison when asked “How do you feel about having 85 failed attempts at making a light bulb, before you succeeded?”. His reply “I didnt have 85 failiures, I found 85 ways of not making a light bulb”

Attachments:
                                  Diguelo
                                  Participant
                                    @diguelo

Thanks all for your help.

The properties window that opens with the editor turned out to be one of the editing features that had turned itself on. So that one is fixed.

However the windowed mode doesnt work. Ive gone through all the settings in Video and tried them all checked and unchecked. I shall await the answers to my questions before reinstallaing.

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

Hmm. I think that my next step would be what you already mentioned. Cleaning out the registry for VP entries. Then, get the one in all installer for 1.6.0 and re-install to the same location as before. Actually. Try using the regular windows way of using the uninstaller, then clean registry manually, and then re-install. Admit, It is kind of a long shot, can’t remember I’ve seen this problem mentioned before.

Diguelo
                                      Participant
                                        @diguelo

That was my assumption, but I have found other issues that may be compromising the editor integrity.

However, for the short term, the program has been fully uninstalled,obviously backing up the folder to reinstall Tables, Roms, Music, NVram. I have NOT saved all the highscores and other data in the User folder. Yes I know they are text files, but this is a just in case action.

1. Used windows Uninstall, but used it through CCleaner tools interface.
                                        2. Ive searched for and removed all reference to VP from the Registry using the Find function.
                                        3. Ive also removes all forms of association to all the exe’s in the VP install.
                                        4. The folder has been deleted.
                                        5. Ive reinstalled the latest beta pack and this time I have backed up the folder prior to actually using it. This way if this occurs in the future I can compare the two folders, note the changes and possible issues and post them for all to use.

All appears to be running correctly and as it did. I have configured the options to the windowed mode which has appeared again in the listing.

My thanks to all for your input.

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus

Ah. Happy to hear that you resolved the issue. Have fun.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                        Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?