Alien Star (Gottlieb 1984) WIP

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BorgDog
    Participant
      @borgdog
      MemberContributorvip

I ran across this machine watching PapaTV videos (this site is a great resource if you don’t know about it http://pinballvideos.com/) and thought it looked like a lot of fun and my kind of table.  I have the ’87 Gottlieb parts manual which includes maps with switch and light numbers for the few years prior to that, so started with the map from there and built it all out from scratch and grabbed the few solenoid ids from the couple vp9 versions out there.  googled what I could for images and chopped together some plastics and playfield images from those (both of these are very rough).  haunt went through and made my chopped images look a better, and played with the lights some (although I’ve now changed out the playfield image so have messed up the insert lights some more).  I did a rebuild on wildman’s db2s with my own image cobbled together from a couple I found online and re-did the lights to make a couple blinky bulbs.

So I am in search of better playfield and plastic images (hint, hint B-)   ), but in the mean time I thought I’d put it up for you guys to mess with.  It is a fun, fast and brutal drain monster, watch some of the videos on that site I linked to and see what it does to the pros and what they can do with it.

edit: table released

5 users thanked author for this post.
      BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

and here is the db2s file (combined they were a tad over randr’s limit)

edit: table released

BorgDog
        Participant
          @borgdog
          MemberContributorvip

oh, and here is a preview pic..

alienstarpreview

Mark70
          Participant
            @mark70

No way!  Awesome! I am restarting the cab now….  THX

Drybonz
            Participant
              @drybonz

I’ve never heard of this one, but it’s kind of got that early 80’s Bally format, so it sounds like a winner.  Thanks.

N3roflint
              Participant
                @n3roflint

Thanks very much for this Borgdog. It’s a brutal table but so addicting. It will be nice to play this in VPX while the search for resources continues.

Another nice Gottlieb from the same era is Super Orbit.

There’s a better video of Super Orbit somewhere in the PAPA Live TV  archives but I couldn’t locate it.

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

updated attachment in first post.

• replaced most inserts (Gottlieb weird mix of star transparent and ‘opaque’)
                  • new insert text
                  • new insert keylines
                  • new text and boxes for everything else on the playfield
                  • filled in some other lines.
                  • adjusted insert lights to fit new inserts
                  • .. why am I just not doing a redraw???

good thing I’m just hanging out doing nothing today, had lots of time to futz with this, should be outside doing work.. maybe tomorrow  :bye:

1 user thanked author for this post.
                  HauntFreaks
                    @hauntfreaks
                    vipContributorMember

this would be a nightmare to redraw… just the stars (speckles) alone would be a MF….
                    the alien and the ships would be easy, well if there was a close up of the ships…

BorgDog
                    Participant
                      @borgdog
                      MemberContributorvip

yup.  if I keep going I’ll get all the lines re-drawn eventually.. hopefully I find some good stripped playfield images first… still working on it…

BorgDog
                      Participant
                        @borgdog
                        MemberContributorvip

ok, last one for tonight.. I need to stop this LOL

a few more lines replaced, the ALIEN ships replaced with a slightly clearer version, some primitives (nuts and screws and things) added, adjusted the slings somewhat

0.04 in first post.

Thalamus
                          @thalamus
                          ContributorMemberModerator

This is great. I remember seeing a papa championship featuring this table and ever since I’ve wanted to play it. I’ll make sure to re-visit the game play video because I remember that there is one specific strategy that will blow this table up. Thank you very much Dan and Brian for making this table ! :rose:

BorgDog
                          Participant
                            @borgdog
                            MemberContributorvip

right inlane to light spinner for 10,000 points a spin.  if you do it during multi-ball it can be up to 50,000 a spin.  you can easily get 20-25 spins on a good hit.  shatzing from the left flipper up the right inlane and ball comes back down to right flipper hit the spinner, score big.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?