24 (Stern 2009)

Viewing 61 post (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Robsoie
    Participant
      @robsoie

Hello,

I come to make an update on the very strange lagging and stuttering problem i had with this particular table.

Because i discovered the actual source of it. Originally i thought it was somewhere in the many events of this table, though it was strange to me because some other tables with a lot more light show were playing completely smoothly.

After discovering the report about Window 10 new security system against vbs script attacks, that played a role in Visual Pinball – VPinMAME possible sttuters on some tables (tough it was strange to me as why only some tables could be affected as all are using vbs scripts), i thought it had to do with Window Defender.

And today toying around video settings in VPX, i ran directly into the source of this problem with the table 24 :

It the VPX Video/Graphic Opptions , the   “Texture Compression (Performance)” setting.

In nearly all games i have and that feature a similar texture compresion setting it’s always by default turned on as it saves some GPU time and workload so it can be used better elsewhere. So mostly by habitude i had it enabled

But in VPX if this “Texture Compression (Performance)” option is DISABLED , the table 24 will play perfectly smoothly, while if it is ENABLED, i see those bizarre stutter and lag of the ball.

So for my case finally the mystery is solved, though it’s very strange as in no other game in existence in which this option exist i observed such problem.

if i would try a guess it’s that VPX may only do the texture compression for the texture that are loaded at the start of the game, and as some textures only load on specific events, maybe VPX is compressing those new textures on the fly instead of compression them at the same time as other, possibly generating those micro stutter and lag.

Viewing 61 post (of 61 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?