4K laggy flippers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

While I have my cab apart I decided to hook up our 4K TV to the cab to see what VPX looks like in 4K.  The results were stunning with tables like 4MBC and Capersville which I know have 4K playfields.  The problem is that there is lag between the pressing of the flippers and their firing on the playfield.  Just a few ms but enough to really throw your game off.

Here are my settings: GTX 1070 running three screens with an active display port to HDMI dongle, HDMI 2.0 cable, 42″ Samsung 4K TV and 30 Hz output which is the maximum speed that the NVIDIA control panel will let me set (why?).  The FPS counter in VP shows something north of 250 FPS and the ball moves very smoothly with very sharp graphics.

Anyone have any idea why I can’t get 60 Hz output?  Is this the cause of the flipper lag?

The Loafer
      Participant
        @theloafer

questions:

• can you post a screenshot of your VP video settings?
        • Are you by chance also using any AA? (probably not necessary with 4K screen)
        • are you using ambient occlusion?
        • are you using exclusive fullscreen?
        • is this lag apparent on all tables?
        Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

When I started to use my 4k monitor I needed to change monitor to v1.2/Displayport in order to get 60hz. I read also that if I where to use HDMI I needed to use a v2.0 cable instread of a v1.4 or I would get 30hz. So, it might be related to the quality/standard of cable used and/or settings in the TV/monitor..

30hz is unplayable. No wonder it feels sluggish. If you can, use displayport. I’m no expert – just managed to get mine working. Maybe try without the hdmi hub if you can’t use dp.

bord
            @bord
            MembervipContributorModerator

You’re stuck now, Scott. Once you’ve seen VPX in 4k you can’t go back!

Scottacus
            Participant
              @scottacus
              MembervipContributor

Thanks guys, I’m pretty sure that Thalamus is right about this being a cable issue.   A couple of days ago I hooked up an HDMI 1.2 cable and when I saw 30 Hz I looked online and read that 4K requires HDMI 2.0 so I ordered one of those cables figuring that would fix the problem but it didn’t.

The graphics card pushes out a very high level of FPS in exclusive full screen mode so I don’t think that is the problem.  I think I’ll try just using the HDMI 2.0 cable without the display port dongle and see if that lets me get 60 HZ, I just have to pry the 4K TV from the living room…

Scottacus
              Participant
                @scottacus
                MembervipContributor

I was able to read up on the Samsung TV a bit and liberate it from the living room for an hour or so to test it out some more.  There is a “Game Mode” for the TV that I turned on and the image became brighter and had more contrast and sharpness to it.  I tried hooking up via one of the display ports with the HDMI 2.0 cable and still was capped at 30 Hz.  I then switched to the HDMI port on the GTX 1070 and was able to get 60 Hz output!  The “Flipper Lag” went away at 60 Hz and I was able to get greater than 200 FPS from the graphics card.

The ball moved smoothly but it seemed to “float” around the table more than it does on my old 1080 TV display.  The graphics are amazingly sharp and fine details like ball scratches are easily seem when the ball rolls slowly.  There are probably other settings that I need to turn off to fix this float because the TV has settings like “Digital Clean View” that may be the cause of this that I didn’t turn off.  All in all it looks like 4K will be the wave of the future for VP as the state of the art gets pushed forward.

The Loafer
                Participant
                  @theloafer

yeah turn off any of the TV’s post processing.  On that note, although there is a game mode, you may even get better performance if your TV supports a PC mode.  My current playfield monitor is a 1080p LG and it has such a mode, triggered by simply labelling the port PC which then provides a “just scan” option for proper scaling.  You can probably find relevant info in your TV’s manual if it supports this.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?