Bilingual Backglass

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

I’ve been working on updating my Capersville Table and had a working solution to swapping out English and German playfields so I moved on to making an English/German B2S backglass.  Borgdog pointed me in the right direction by suggesting using snippets to swap out text.  I started by stripping all of the text from my old B2S backglass in photoshop and used that as a base.  I then made an entire set of overlays that could be used on both the English and German tables for BIP, Match, Can Play and set them up for the BG.  Next I made sets of both English and German artwork for things like Tilt, Game Over, Player Up and any lettering on the backglass.

I assigned the English elements to the standard 30 range of ID numbers and set the German ones to exactly 10 more so that I could use a constant (Language = 10 for German, Language = 0 for English) to increment the B2S IDs using minimal code.  I set all of the fixed text to a B2S ID of 50 for English and 60 for German so that all of the elements could be turned on with a single setb2s command.

The result is really cool!  Now you can hold down the left flipper button in standby mode and access the options menu.  In this menu you can toggle back and forth between “Flippertisch Auf Deutsch” and “Table in English” and the playfield, apron and backglass will seamlessly switch between the two languages!

Here are photos of the two backglasses.

English-BG
      German-BG

Scottacus
      Participant
        @scottacus
        MembervipContributor

Here are photos of the playfields, I need to make a set of German instruction cards and coin cards 20Pf, 5oPf, 1M and this should be ready for testing.

English-PF
        Untitled

WED21
        Participant
          @wed21

I’m not German, but that is super cool!!

Drybonz
          Participant
            @drybonz

Hey Scottacus… you should be able to set it up to change back and forth in the drop down box in the b2s settings as well… they way some people have it set up to switch between fantasy and authentic.

Scottacus
            Participant
              @scottacus
              MembervipContributor

Yeah I looked into the fantasy/authentic section of B2S but I couldn’t find a way to toggle between the two in vb script.  Is there a way to do this because it would make for a smaller BG file if all of the static artwork could be on one layer.

Drybonz
              Participant
                @drybonz

I couldn’t answer that… maybe someone else can hop in with the answer.  I always just change those in the B2S settings.  I like your idea for the multilingual table.  It seems to open up some possibilities for having 2 player and 4 player clone tables in one table as well.

HauntFreaks
                  @hauntfreaks
                  vipContributorMember

Scott you need to talk to @Bambi Plattfuss he is German and speaks very good english

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?