Creating my 2nd VPin in 7 years, whats new?

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/tales-of-the-arabian-nights-4k/

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

You’re in for a surprise.  The new Tales of the Arabian Nights.  Which oddly…runs pretty fine on my GT710.

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

Runs fine on mine too. I wanna say I have a gtx460…

JR
          Participant
            @jfr1

460?  I’m no graphic card expert but that seems extremely impressive.  Really speaks to the build Flupper and his team pulled off.  Yes I have settings turned down on my 710 but it still blows peoples minds when they see their first VP cab.  Keep us posted on what you do SteveB.

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

The only other thing I worry about is heat. No had a 6gb Radeon card in it for a bit and the case of the computer was hot to the touch after a bit.  Will that 1060 create a lot of heat too cause the 460 doesn’t

SteveB
              Participant
                @steveb

So an update, well first sadly I need to redo my man cave & turn it more into a work shop.

Still whilst I get that done I’m furiously researching my bits & pieces. I recall on my 1st cab that Ledwhizz was pretty easy to set up & configure, but am wondering if anything has superseeded it yet or whether to stick with it?

I really want a working plunger, I already have a plunger from my first build & have been looking at Pinscape http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/ but at this point not sure where to get the boards I need or how it all connects up. Ideally I just want something that is plug n play…

I want a 5 light LGB flasher to go towards the end of the playfield but again I haven’t really found any good guides as to what parts to buy & how to wire / solder it all up.

PC wise I still have my old PC from my first cab, wonder if the spec on this will still work? Win 7: 3.59 AMD A8-5600K APU, 8GB RAM. NVidia Geforce GT560 ti (Playfield), AMD Radeon HD 7560D (Backglass & DMD)

Probably not.

BAM, I like the idea of this as well although I haven’t read up on the setup yet, but I believe a couple of small cameras will be required to hide somewhere in the backbox. Has anyone reading this experiance with BAM, is it worth checking out?

Loads & loads of questions so if you can answer any, many thanks.

Steve B

DeathInc
                Participant
                  @deathincclan

Tales of The Aribian Night. And it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

:)

TerryRed
                    @terryred
                    MemberContributorModerator

So an update, well first sadly I need to redo my man cave & turn it more into a work shop.

Still whilst I get that done I’m furiously researching my bits & pieces. I recall on my 1st cab that Ledwhizz was pretty easy to set up & configure, but am wondering if anything has superseeded it yet or whether to stick with it?

I really want a working plunger, I already have a plunger from my first build & have been looking at Pinscape http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/ but at this point not sure where to get the boards I need or how it all connects up. Ideally I just want something that is plug n play…

I want a 5 light LGB flasher to go towards the end of the playfield but again I haven’t really found any good guides as to what parts to buy & how to wire / solder it all up.

PC wise I still have my old PC from my first cab, wonder if the spec on this will still work? Win 7: 3.59 AMD A8-5600K APU, 8GB RAM. NVidia Geforce GT560 ti (Playfield), AMD Radeon HD 7560D (Backglass & DMD)

Probably not.

BAM, I like the idea of this as well although I haven’t read up on the setup yet, but I believe a couple of small cameras will be required to hide somewhere in the backbox. Has anyone reading this experiance with BAM, is it worth checking out?

Loads & loads of questions so if you can answer any, many thanks.

Is BAM head tracking worth it for VPX? I’ll say not worth it. Not because of the BAM part (which works fine). It’s because your are running the VPVR version of VPX, which needs to use workarounds to convert VPX to OpenGL. This results in tables not looking completely correct compared to normal VPX….whereas BAM on FP simply works because FP doesn’t need any workaround or hacks and the visuals are not compromised.

The “effect” of BAM… I have used it with both a single PS3 eye cam setup, and now also with Kinect V2 in FP. They both worked fine…and it is really neat… but the effect is much more noticable if you have one eye closed (which is how the videos showing it off in Youtube are working). Your eyes are seeing two offset version of the image, and they converge a bit, so you loose some of the 3d depth effect. But if you close one eye, you are like…wow!

Is it worth it… sadly I would say that’s an easier decision to make once you have it in place and can see for yourself. I myself “may” be adding the kinect v2 to my backbox for BAM FP…but I also have other stuff I’m doing during that process…so it’s a wait and see.

The kinect V2 for FP is automatic with no IR glasses needed so when I walk up to the cabinet, it just works…as long as no one else is in view!

The PS3 eye cam needs IR glasses or something for tracking.

I can’t comment on how seamless the VPVR experience is for BAM….as I’ve only bothered with FP. (I have tried VPVR in VR…and while it works.. you can really see the limitations of VPX in this regard, whereas on FP VR looks stunning.)

Here’s a video from me demoing it on FP years ago using the Freetrack PS3 eye cam method with my IR hat.

SteveB
                    Participant
                      @steveb

Thanks for the post TerryRed, looking at your cab I love your joystick setup also. I was considering getting an X Arcade but it’s rather big (& pricey) so der, just do my own buttons & joystick :-) – Love how talking about one thing sends me in a completly different direction.

Your right, I need to wait until I get my cab basics set up, but I think it might make sense to make room for a kinect in the backbox, Mmm, will make it a rather larger though…

Can I ask where you got your metal brackets / covering that all go round the cab, they looks good.

Steve B

TerryRed
                        @terryred
                        MemberContributorModerator

Thanks for the post TerryRed, looking at your cab I love your joystick setup also. I was considering getting an X Arcade but it’s rather big (& pricey) so der, just do my own buttons & joystick :-) – Love how talking about one thing sends me in a completly different direction.

Your right, I need to wait until I get my cab basics set up, but I think it might make sense to make room for a kinect in the backbox, Mmm, will make it a rather larger though…

Can I ask where you got your metal brackets / covering that all go round the cab, they looks good.

The speaker / dmd cutouts are just automotive chrome / door trim.

What I had in that video was just aluminum edging from home depot…but now I have actual side rails and a lockdown bar.

goodGRIEFF76
                        Participant
                          @goodgrieff76

TOTAN is Tales of the Arabian Nights.

The new pinball software on the block is Pinup Popper.  I’ve run both Pinball X and Pinup Popper and Pinup Popper blows Pinball X out of the water.

SteveB
                          Participant
                            @steveb

Ok, here we go, obviously the most importent thing to sort is the playfield, (I plugged in my old de-cased 42″ from years back & it made an alarming fizzling sound, think it’s dead)

So gonna go with a 42 “- 43” playfield, wanted to keep this on the cheap but heck, 4k ultra hd it is, (is 4k = Ultra HD?) From some readings de-casing isn’t done nowaday so I’m looking for the thinnest of bezal & the best of pictures. I’m gonna visit my local Currys tomorrow to see difference in picture quality but for now it’s between

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hisense-H43B7500UK-43-Inch-Smart-Freeview/dp/B07QPTSQS9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3PWO7BHYAQ2AR&keywords=42+inch+tv+4k+ultra+hd&qid=1572317004&sprefix=42%22+4k+ultra%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-5

or this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-43RU7100-43-flat-4k/dp/B07Q32YKNB/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3PWO7BHYAQ2AR&keywords=42+inch+tv+4k+ultra+hd&qid=1572317004&sprefix=42%22+4k+ultra%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-6

But for future compatability (+ I want BAM headtracking) I’m going 4k, can’t afford 8k :-(

Once I get the playfield, time for the woodwork. In the meantime I’ve been busy freshening up my arcade cab, finally got ledblinky sorted & love how it describes what button does what, has been worth taking the very perplexing time it’s taken to learn it. Still not got me Launchbox / Big Box buttons working yet though :-( ?

Now I need to research Pinscape? Previously I had a led wizz & 2 x iPacs running everything, there seem to be so many more boards nowadays…

Steve B

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?