Cuphead WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Onevox
    Participant
      @rooster

I’ve wanted to do a modern EM table and found Cuphead to be an ideal theme. I love the art and music of this videogame. I plan to incorporate the brilliant 30s jazz music from the game, and leave the EM mech sounds. We’ll see how that turns out.

This is a blend of a couple of Loserman76 tables, who graciously allowed me to use Bronco as the core table.

Basic game play: collect the soul contracts on the “bosses” by hitting banks of drop targets. If the ball enters Perdition three times, the ball is locked and an up-post blocks the entrance of Perdition (this starts two ball multiball). When the second ball hits the center standup target it drops the up-post and the first ball is kicked into play.

I’m working on the script now (and learning VB along the way), and hoping for help.

Suggestions, recommendations, etc. welcomed.

IMG_3272IMG_3274IMG_3275IMG_3276

Onevox

2 users thanked author for this post.
      bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

I was wondering what would come next from you. Looks awesome!

gambit
        Participant
          @gambit

That’s sweet my kids love Cuphead

Thalamus
            @thalamus
            ContributorMemberModerator

After Clash – I can tell you. I’m really looking forward to see what you come up with  ! :yes:

STAT
            Participant
              @stefanaustria
              MemberContributor

Looking sweet, but – don’t kill me – this isn’t a real Machine ? :scratch:

Onevox
              Participant
                @rooster

Seriously? Not that I’m aware of. I just did a search and saw where someone built an arcade cab themed with Cuphead.

Onevox

Draifet
                Participant
                  @draifet

Totally awesome, just a little worried cause it’s so good that maybe it attracts attention from the original team behind the game (StudioMDHR), probably nice guys, but I think it’s Micro$oft property.

Onevox
                  Participant
                    @rooster

AC93AB51-8DED-4FA6-8E99-A0DAB8067BD06139735A-4A6C-4E2B-8CFB-BF1637CF0D36Backglass is coming along.

Onevox

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Not familiar with the theme but I bet it will be cool. Looking this up so I feel less out of the loop ;)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                      for IOS and Android

Onevox
                      Participant
                        @rooster

Videogame from 2017. I love how they used the Fleischer Studios cartoon style from the 1930s. (Betty Boop, Popeye) The soundtrack to the game is 30s jazz along the lines of Benny Goodman’s “Sing, Sing, Sing,” but frenetic.

Onevox

toxie
                        Participant
                          @toxie
                          VP DEVMember

..original game is also on the switch by now, it rocks!!

Onevox
                          Participant
                            @rooster

Well, back to the drawing board. After finally getting it playable (no script errors or non-working elements), I found the game play lacks the flow I had hoped. Upper right flipper tends to hit the left outlane, drop target hits direct ball to outlanes, other angles tend to drain too much. I’m thinking about moving the drop targets to about the position of the upper flipper on right and left, and direct loop lanes around them on the outside: right feeding to bumpers, left feeding to top. Stay tuned.

Onevox

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

Small tweaks can make a big change in flow.. good luck

********************************************************
                              Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                              So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                              for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Onevox
                              Participant
                                @rooster

A PF update. Game flow is improved, I think.

I moved the drop target banks to the middle (so the ricochet doesn’t shoot to the outlanes) …  moved DASH loops on the outside of the drop targets: the left loop to the top, the right loop up the middle of the bumpers.

Lower saucers kick ball up, left can reach the upper right saucer but not every time, the right goes up to left side of the bumpers. I’d like to add some variable so they on occasion rake across the drop targets in front of them. No sure this is possible.

Moved King Dice and Devil art to the plastics, with the devils tail over the right loop.

Removed: gates and perdition uppost because the scripting complexity was driving me crazy. I just want to focus on getting this to a beta stage. May add back uppost to block perdition for multiball once everything else is done.

Working on: resets and awards for rule set.

IMG_3861IMG_3862IMG_3863

Pete

Onevox

TerryRed
                                  @terryred
                                  MemberContributorModerator

I moved the drop target banks to the middle (so the ricochet doesn’t shoot to the outlanes) …  moved DASH loops on the outside of the drop targets: the left loop to the top, the right loop up the middle of the bumpers.

Lower saucers kick ball up, left can reach the upper right saucer but not every time, the right goes up to left side of the bumpers. I’d like to add some variable so they on occasion rake across the drop targets in front of them. No sure this is possible.

Moved King Dice and Devil art to the plastics, with the devils tail over the right loop.

Removed: gates and perdition uppost because the scripting complexity was driving me crazy. I just want to focus on getting this to a beta stage. May add back uppost to block perdition for multiball once everything else is done.

IMG_3861IMG_3862IMG_3863

Pete

Looking excellent.

This is a table that would do great with a pup-pack using the beautiful gameplay and cinematic footage from the video game. Though the game is hard as balls, so one may need to resort to Youtube footage. :)

Are you coding this from scratch, or using a rom? If from scratch that would definetly allow for a better pup experience…you could even use PuP for the scoring and text on the backglass!

Gwen
                                  Participant
                                    @gwen

Looking great! :good:

Gwen
                                    - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Onevox
                                    Participant
                                      @rooster

IMG_3861IMG_3862IMG_3863

Pete

Looking excellent.

This is a table that would do great with a pup-pack using the beautiful gameplay and cinematic footage from the video game. Though the game is hard as balls, so one may need to resort to Youtube footage. :)

Are you coding this from scratch, or using a rom? If from scratch that would definetly allow for a better pup experience…you could even use PuP for the scoring and text on the backglass!

Terry,

This is a “scratch” build, sort of, without a ROM. I’m using Loserman76’s EM script and modifying/adding.  This is a scripting lesson for me, and VBS is slow learning for this visual thinker.  I think a PUP pack would be fun once i get it right as a regular, ole’ table.

My son is pretty good at the game, so I may be able to get him to record some custom content.

Onevox

Onevox
                                      Participant
                                        @rooster

When do you use “true” “=1” “enabled” or  “lightstateon” code? I’m trying to get it in my head when each is used.

I’m trying to have a bank of three standup targets, when all hit, to trigger kicker lights and higher scoring. Each target hit lights an insert to indicate the hit.

I tried creating a Sub like this

If StandupLight1.state=1 and StandupLight2.state=1 and StandupLight3.state=1 then

DashLight1.state=1

DashLight2.state=1

end if

But it didn’t work, so I tried/failed to make the standup hit event as the “if” calls. Then tried to add the standuplights to a collection and create a obj statement, and that didn’t work either.

I’m curious, is it better for a hit event to trigger a PF light, then use that PF light state(s)  as a condition for a secondary event like activating something else?  Or what’s the protocol?

Help greatly appreciated. Scripting is starting to sink in, slowly. Apologies for non-standard nomeclature.

Pete

Onevox

cyberpez
                                        Participant
                                          @cyberpez

When you have should work…  but you would either need to add your if statement to a timer…  or to a check sub (thats what I call them…)  so…

Target1_hit()

StandupLight1.state=1

CheckTargets

End Sub

Target2_hit()

StandupLight2.state=1

CheckTargets

End Sub

Target3_hit()

StandupLight3.state=1

CheckTargets

End Sub

Sub CheckTargets()

If StandupLight1.state=1 and StandupLight2.state=1 and StandupLight3.state=1 then

DashLight1.state=1

DashLight2.state=1

end if

End Sub

Something like that…

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                          Onevox
                                          Participant
                                            @rooster

Next Question: I’m trying to get the top lane rollovers, when all hit, to advance the multiplier and light the multiplier insert lights. First series is 2X, then second series advances to 3X and then 4X. I’m starting to think its a timer issue, but I’m still not clear when a timer is necessary.

I’ve included only one rollover script here, the 4th or  “D” rollover, and I haven’t done the Light Special yet so I commented it out.

Sub TriggerTopD_Hit()
                                            If TableTilted=false then
                                            PlaySound “sensor”
                                            DOF 121, DOFPulse
                                            SetMotor(300)
                                            TopLightD.state=1
                                            CheckRollovers
                                            ‘ CheckForLightSpecial
                                            end if
                                            End Sub

Sub CheckRollovers
                                            if (TopLightA.state=1) and (TopLightB.state=1) and (TopLightC.state=1) and (TopLightD.state=1) then
                                            BonusMultiplier=BonusMultiplier+1
                                            end if
                                            end sub

Sub MultiplierBonus
                                            if BonusMultiplier=2 Then
                                            Bonus2X.state=1
                                            end If
                                            if BonusMultiplier=3 Then
                                            Bonus3X.state=1
                                            Bonus2X.state=0
                                            end If
                                            if BonusMultiplier= 4 Then
                                            Bonus4X.state=1
                                            Bonus3X.state=0
                                            end If
                                            if BonusMultiplier>4 Then
                                            BonusMultiplier=4
                                            Bonus4X.state=1
                                            end If
                                            End Sub

As always, big thanks in advance. Pete

Onevox

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?