Diablo Pinball

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    LynnInDenver
    Participant
      @lynnindenver

I can agree with Thalamus; UltraDMD seems to be, at best, temperamental and fragile. For instance, I got it working with Freezy on my desktop so that it looks better compared to ROM tables also running with Freezy, but I’ve had nothing but fails trying to get it to also run that way on the pincab, so it still looks awful. You have to mess with the registry if you’re trying to use it at any size other than one of the presets, and even then you’d better not mess with the preferences options or else it might well force you to go back into the registry to reset your preferred size again. And there’s always someone popping up once every month or two having issues with it not working from the start, or suddenly not working. And there is an inherent delay at table start even if UltraDMD is working correctly because of the mandatory splash screen. And there’s also the hideous lack of documentation.

I do have a list of various original/recreation tables I’d like to upgrade, at least for personal use, to use PuP PostDMD (or even just mirrored PuPDMD through Freezy!) instead of UltraDMD.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Peter222
      Participant
        @swietlikowa

You’re right. I especially associate UltraDMD with troubles ;)

Thalamus: setlocale(1033) doesn’t help

There are a few things I’ve observed:
        1. Diablo hangs randomly while playing
        2. Diablo always hangs after losing the ball (I don’t know what processes take place in the code?). Then there is a similar error:

Zaznaczenie_769

3. Champions League also crashes when the ball is lost (but never during play) with error:

Zaznaczenie_770

4. Champions League displays the comma correctly

5. Diablo does not display any comma at all (Thalamus – it displays on your table!).

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Have to ask – did you try the ‘on error resume next’ I suggested ?

Peter222
          Participant
            @swietlikowa

Have to ask – did you try the ‘on error resume next’ I suggested ?

I’ve already done this before (as suggested by Scotty): https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/diablo-pinball/page/3/#post-139605

It only helps that it does not hang the table, but at some point UltraDMD disappears (black screen) so it is not a solution :(

outhere
              @outhere
              MemberContributorvipModerator

Maybe this – I do not know if this has anything to do with UltraDMD

Go here and install EVERY version (x86 and x64, each year as well) of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019.:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

You may need to update your .Net FrameWork:

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework

Then reboot, and check your plug-ins again.

Thalamus
                @thalamus

Hmm. Finally a possible good suggestion :)

Peter222
                Participant
                  @swietlikowa

outhere – thanks, but not helped :(

I give up. I’ve already done everything… (I’ve been fighting it for a long time). I know these tables are great, but they’re only two tables. Hundreds of others work flawlessly. I will have to accept it ;) Maybe someday I will find the cause quite accidentally (as it often happens) – for sure I will share this news here. Or who knows, maybe in the future someone will convert DMD from UltraDMD to other?

Thalamus – I’m still wondering what I saw on your screen… the presence of comma in the scores. From what I read, to display comma instead of DisplayScoreboard should be used DisplayScoreboard00 in code. I don’t have DisplayScoreboard00 (only DisplayScoreboard). I use the latest version 1.0.3 and there is no DisplayScoreboard00. Could you send the code you have to Diablo (with pastebin or something) ? Why do you have this comma?

Gwen
                  Participant
                    @gwen

I have had long time problems with Diablo and Champions League too.  Keep getting UltraDMD server not available messages at numerous points in the games.  All my other UltraDMD tables work just fine though so… I have kind of given up trying to get those two fixed.

Gwen
                    - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Thalamus
                      @thalamus

@swietlikowa ( Peter222 ) : It was not me, but, outhere that had the commas. My version of the script is in github.

Scottywic
                      Participant
                        @scottywic

someday I’ll just move this over to pupdmd. Ultradmd kinda makes me never want to create another pin table. It is unbelievably painful to work with. I’ve never gotten the errors you guys are getting but i’m not surprised. I don’t really have any support atm for this but i do have plans to roll it to pupdmd in the future

Peter222
                        Participant
                          @swietlikowa

@Scottywic You’re right … I think it’s a waste of nerves to work with UltraDMD, especially since it looks like an abandoned project (last update in 2016). I read that many users have problems with this. Pupdmd would definitely enhance this great table, so I hope you find time to do it. I hope “pupdmd” will bring you back the joy of creating new tables because your tables are really great!

LynnInDenver
                          Participant
                            @lynnindenver

@scottywic You’re right … I think it’s a waste of nerves to work with UltraDMD, especially since it looks like an abandoned project (last update in 2016). I read that many users have problems with this. Pupdmd would definitely enhance this great table, so I hope you find time to do it. I hope “pupdmd” will bring you back the joy of creating new tables because your tables are really great!

Not only does UltraDMD seem abandoned, but I also get the impression that it’s unfinished as well. The main scoreboard command doesn’t provide for comma/period support, and the alternative command for scoreboard that does will crash anything on a computer that’s NOT set up for commas. And there really isn’t any sort of good font support. I’d agree with ScottyWic, that PinUp Player is by far a superior experience, both in setup (more stable, better documentation, active author) and performance (appearance isn’t the only reason I went after the PostDMD mods for Jaws and MOTU). At most, my UltraDMD plans are to provide a literal “bare bones”, and that’s only because we actually have a couple of people actively griping that they don’t want to be forced into the PinUp Player ecosystem just for scores, because they don’t like that it’s coming with “extraneous” eye candy and “isn’t necessary”.

BTW, I also think Pinup Player is a contender to replace the DirectB2S backglass. (This should be another reminder for me to try to document how to get a ROM score onto a Pinup Player backglass.)

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                            Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                            Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

elvinu
                            Participant
                              @elvinu

Focus not on table:

I’m a single screen user using PinupMenu to launch the table.  ‘1’ and ‘5’ don’t work.  I have to click on the table to start it.  Not a huge deal.

I read thru the previous Support Topic posts and tried the following:

1. Added the following to the end of the script:

Sub Table1_exit()
                              Controller.Stop
                              End Sub

2. Commented out

‘ wait for the animation to end
                              ‘While UltraDMD.IsRendering = True
                              ‘WEnd

3. Even tried changing ‘True’ to ‘False’ for the following:

‘ wait for the animation to end
                              While UltraDMD.IsRendering = False
                              WEnd

4. Also tried adding a pupinit.bat file where I try to force focus back to the table, ie:

start “” pupwinpos.exe “Visual Pinball Player” -2 10 1

As I made the changes above, I’d wait for the Ultradmd animation that starts with ‘JP Salas’ and then I try pressing the ‘1’ button.

The above does fix the problem when I launch by double clicking on the vpx file; however, no luck when launching via PinupMenu.

I believe I have updated everything.  Anyone else have this issue or do you just click on the table and then press ‘1’.

TIA

Thalamus
                                @thalamus

I recommend that you install Flexdmd. It seems to have solved all my earlier issues with UltraDMD. I also recommend that you look at the alternative table script from the git repo.

elvinu
                                Participant
                                  @elvinu

Never mind, I got it to work.

I just watched a YT vid on the table and saw there was an animating backglass for it.  Found the backglass on another site and threw it into my tables folder.

It wouldn’t remain on the screen: went behind the table during the load.  Thus I created pup files for the table and set the DMD and Backglass to ForceOn.

Now my existing bat file (that probably did nothing before) is working and bringing both to the top and giving me control of the table.

elvinu
                                  Participant
                                    @elvinu

I recommend that you install Flexdmd. It seems to have solved all my earlier issues with UltraDMD. I also recommend that you look at the alternative table script from the git repo.

Thanks Thalamus, I didn’t see what you wrote before my Backglass fix.

On a side note (sorry if this breaks some rules), I saw on another site you had issues with Sam – Color Rom Patches for POC and Shrek.  I posted what worked for me recently for these.

Gwen
                                    Participant
                                      @gwen

I agree with Thalamus, FlexDMD has solved all the problems I was having with Diablo and Champions League.  And it runs faster and smoother.

Gwen
                                      - Wonky builder of the steampunk Nikola Tesla cabinet & Starfighter Cabinet

Peter222
                                      Participant
                                        @swietlikowa

Thanks for the hint! FlexDMD finally ended up having problems with the tables. Diablo, Champions League works great now!

BrandonLaw
                                        Participant
                                          @brandonlaw

Got it.

"Fuck this game. I love it."

mazzaneo
                                          Participant
                                            @mazzaneo

Noob question here but how do I get the backglass video to show on this type of table?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by mazzaneo.
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 82 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?