Do you feel Vpinball really needs to host roms?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

Poll

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

Sliderpoint
      Participant
        @sliderpoint
        MemberContributor

I pretty much get all I need from VPU.   I will say that I would like to see the ‘completed’ colorized roms with .pal files packaged together somewhere.  I have not looked into the reasoning behind not doing it. I’m sure there is something. But those are fairly new in the grand scale of everything.

-Mike

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

yeah i get them from pinball machine database too. we could link them so they show up under related downloads but seems silly. PLUS PBX frontend now imports them i see so really no reason to have them but…thought i would do a poll :)

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
            @terryred
            MemberContributorModerator

Having a collection of coloured / patched roms, and their needed files would be very nice.

Jesperpark
            Participant
              @jesperpark

Colored/ patched roms would be great, cause I’m not computer savvy enough to figure out patches, also the sound modded roms.  I know for sound mods I have done, I never really know if they are acceptable to share, if so where they should be.

CarnyPriest
              Participant
                @carnypriest
                1. I was not aware that Game Manager downloaded roms. I wonder if they provide a choice among clones for a table? If it is based on vpdb, I don’t know if anyone is keeping that up-to-date. Lots of Gottlieb Sys80B free play clones coming out on VPM 2.9 that users may prefer to use over the parent rom, etc.
                2. I have not been inclined to host Stern game code that is currently available at sternpinball.com. I can’t stop other members with access to the VPU rom database from uploading, and I don’t have admin privileges to remove any uploads. It seems one step beyond gray area to host modded game code. I know that this is not logically consistent as VPU hosts any number of homebrew mods/hacks of back catalog code. But some of these mods we are talking about are for tables currently in production. Even some of the pinsiders lately have been more hesitant about linking to soundtrack mods and do their distribution privately. I just don’t want to make waves that wind up losing people public access to what we have. Ex. no Gottlieb roms are on IPDB for a reason. No ghost led fixes for WPC are publicly available for a reason. No Pinball 2000 tables simulated on VP or FP for a reason. At some point, license holders may actually want to protect their IP as they have a right to do.
                3. It has been my position that there is no such thing as an “official” color mod in the SAMbuild source. What is there are just slots to enable patched roms that use extended memory to run. Checksums defined in the source code are the same as the unmodded game code, so the Ignore CRC Errors box in the VPM game settings must be checked. I know everyone has PinballMike’s color mod of AC/DC. It’s fantastic, but I don’t want to hinder the next person’s AC/DC colorization project. The more the merrier.
                4. I’m sorry for the people who can’t patch their own. I’m not sure how you would get into this hobby without the minimal PC skills required to open a command line and follow directions, but the onus is on the user to make a decision to go into that gray area, downloading code to a table you don’t own and patching the code. Similar reasoning behind nag screens and generally forcing users to download roms one-by-one with official MAME and PinMAME. Not saying that it is great legal cover, but no reason to make things easier for users to do things for which they could be held liable.
                5. That said, I don’t have an issue if Vpinball hosts roms. It is not necessarily “needed”, but it would be good to start over and organize better. It’s kind of a mixed bag at VPU and sometimes visitors have trouble finding what they are looking for, but I don’t have behind the scenes access to clean things up.
                randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

@carnypriest well said :good:

for IOS and Android

freneticamnesic
                    @freneticamnesic
                    vipModeratorMember

Custom roms yes sure why not go nuts standard roms no.

Punch it!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    rothbauerw
                      @rothbauerw
                      ModeratorContributorMembervip

I don’t like going other places. You don’t need all roms, but it would be nice to have the primary rom for the tables posted here.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

Agreed. Author of table could always include the rom the uploads have multiple files so when someone downloads they can un select rom if they already have it. If they need it leave all checked and downloads as a package.zip

********************************************************
                        for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                          @hauntfreaks
                          vipContributorMember

there is a file that was floating around that has all the basic old roms… no modern stern stuff….
                          and I can’t believe we still talk about legal and not legal …. if its not up for resale it all sound legal enough for me…

RustyCardores
                            @rustycardores
                            MemberModerator

I’m all for convenience, but in every case, I am happy for the forum/site owner to make the call, as I would never want to pressure someone into doing something against their personal belief.

CarnyPriest
                            Participant
                              @carnypriest

Yeah, maybe I’m overly conservative, but it’s been the separate distribution of software and commercial game code with the user choosing to violate copyright in putting things together on their end that has been the legal cover for MAME for 20 years. If you are willing to push things a little farther then I’m proud of you for risking the heat for the rest of us by putting it to the test. Perhaps nothing at all will happen.  :good:

Phil Docker
                              Participant
                                @dock

I voted YES – but would add it would be great to have the coloured roms and pal files…..

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

Guys I just want to make this site the best. Keep thoughts coming please

for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                                    @hauntfreaks
                                    vipContributorMember

Guys I just want to make this site the best. Keep thoughts coming please

thoughts?….. humm… my balls are itchy… look there a squirrel!!  :wacko:

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                    CarnyPriest
                                    Participant
                                      @carnypriest

Go go for it if you want. Keep the status quo as done on any other site, author can link to a separate download to the correct rom set. Don’t package roms with tables.

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

@carnypriest I dont think we need it as you can get them everywhere….but i want to know what everyone thinks. no reason to host stern roms they are on stern site. Really no reason to host any roms they are on ipdb and vpf AND vpu AND every rom site. but maybe it would be something people want? i see no problem hosting a 25 year old rom really

for IOS and Android

ozg
                                        Participant
                                          @netweight

@carnypriest I dont think we need it as you can get them everywhere….but i want to know what everyone thinks. no reason to host stern roms they are on stern site. Really no reason to host any roms they are on ipdb and vpf AND vpu AND every rom site. but maybe it would be something people want? i see no problem hosting a 25 year old rom really

^^^This^^^ and Fentz over at VPF said he had to get a license/special permission to host Gottlieb roms. You have to be careful when it comes to copyright, but I guess they could come after you for Metallica, The Walking Dead, Star Trek, AC/DC and so on. I don’t see the point of hosting roms, just another thing to deal with when people can get them from the sites mentioned above. I would try to keep the forum site neat, clean and stay on topic, you know, talk about itchy balls and post pics of gay guys playing pinball, LOL.

topcat
                                          Participant
                                            @topcat

vpf got special permission for gottlieb roms!? i find that impossible to believe! IPDB don’t even have permission and they should be allowed to host Gottlieb if anyone. VPF also said they had rights to print Predator art and licensed machines….WELL we know that was not the case.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?