Future Pinball – PuP issues – Backglass only

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Ashram56
    Participant
      @ashram56

Good Morning,

Before building a real cabinet, I wanted to determine what would be the ideal size for my usage. So I’m testing “on Bench” various display configurations, but I don’t have any toys (I don’t even have yet the KL25Z, just testing with a gamepad).

My reference table is Tron Legacy Ultimate, modified by TerryRed, as it has a backglass with very nice animations.

Problem is: I can’t get PuP to pop up when launching FP.

I did follow TerryRed guide, but I’m struggling on the following points:

• When setting up DOFLinx, I basically copied the “backglass only” ini file, added the FP process to the detection config line, and setup a shortcut to launch DOFLinx without HW detection (ie DOFDISABLE=YES). DOFLinx does start and remains active, the log file reports no error, but I’m unsure whether it does anything. For that matter, nothing is logged after launch, even when starting FP (through BAM)
      •  PuP installation guide has instructions for visual Pinball, but nothing for FP. So I’m following the instructions up to the point where it requests to copy files into VPMame folder, which is not needed I would assume for FP. Is my assumption correct ? Anything I’m missing ?

Thanks and regards

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Pup is not for future pinball. If your running FP you setup your backglass in Fp.

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator
          TerryRed
            @terryred

Good Morning,

Before building a real cabinet, I wanted to determine what would be the ideal size for my usage. So I’m testing “on Bench” various display configurations, but I don’t have any toys (I don’t even have yet the KL25Z, just testing with a gamepad).

My reference table is Tron Legacy Ultimate, modified by TerryRed, as it has a backglass with very nice animations.

Problem is: I can’t get PuP to pop up when launching FP.

I did follow TerryRed guide, but I’m struggling on the following points:

• When setting up DOFLinx, I basically copied the “backglass only” ini file, added the FP process to the detection config line, and setup a shortcut to launch DOFLinx without HW detection (ie DOFDISABLE=YES). DOFLinx does start and remains active, the log file reports no error, but I’m unsure whether it does anything. For that matter, nothing is logged after launch, even when starting FP (through BAM)
            •  PuP installation guide has instructions for visual Pinball, but nothing for FP. So I’m following the instructions up to the point where it requests to copy files into VPMame folder, which is not needed I would assume for FP. Is my assumption correct ? Anything I’m missing ?

Thanks and regards

I assume this is this guide you followed?

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/how-future-pinball-should-be-setup-for-bam-doflinx-and-pinball-x/

Make sure you have DOFLinx, B2S Server, DOF R3++ and Pinup Player installed.

Set DOFLinx to Run as Admin. Be sure its running in the background first before loading FP.

Using the Backglass Only file won’t work as it has nothing about the FP Link in it, and you NEED B2S / DOF most likely for the pup-packs.

You can try using this as a test file.  I use it on my Desktop which has no toys.

####
            # The config file for DOFLinx
            # A mad idea by DDH69 to have some flipper sounds, RGB display and turn buttons on when playing Pinball FX2 via Steam
            # Its grown a lot since that silly start!
            # Note – this works with LEDWiz, PacLed64, KL25Z and Sainsmart (FTDI devices)
            # Output devices outputs are entered in the format of
            # device (D) and output number (#) in the format D##, so controller device 1 and output 3 is ”103” without the quotes, controller board 2 output 23 is ”223” without quotes
            #
            #### MISC ################################
            # If you want to list the processes that will wake up DOFLinx, comment it out if you just want Pinball FX2

PROCESSES=Pinball FX3,Pinball FX2,PinballArcade11,Future Pinball

# The location of your standard DOF outut configuration file

DIRECTOUTPUTCONFIG=c:\DirectOutput\config\directoutputconfig.ini

# Setting FORCE_ACTIVE=1 will cause DOFLinx to not listen for processes and just run until you kill the process.
            FORCE_ACTIVE=0

# Set to 1 to output the game name to the log regardless of the DEBUG flag setting. Set to 0 to simply follow the DEBUG flag.
            # Quite useful when you trying to get the window game name for setting game specific colours
            OUTPUT_GAME_NAME=1

# 0 = OFF (normal operation), 1 = ON – When ON a window will appear and a log file will be created in the EXE directory.

DEBUG=1

SHOW_IN_TASKBAR=1

#PATH_FX2=c:\DirectOutput\FX2\

#PATH_FX3=c:\DirectOutput\FX3\

#PATH_FX2_B2S=c:\DirectOutput\FX2_B2S\

PATH_B2S_SERVER=c:\Visual Pinball\Tables\

DIRECTOUTPUTGLOBAL=C:\DirectOutput\config\GlobalConfig_b2SServer.xml

#### FUTURE PINBALL SETUP ##############

FP_LINK_WAIT_TIME=950000
            FP_ATTEMPT_LINK=1

Have only the above for now in your DOFLinx.ini

HOW TO USE IT???

You need DOFLinx, PuP (and whatever software it needs) installed and setup for Future Pinball.
            (DOFLinx communicates from the Future Pinball table to Pinup Player)
            You need to have DOFLinx running FIRST, before loading Future Pinball.

Load Future Pinball and your table. DOFLinx now sees Future Pinball is running and will start to search for a FP Link from the table.
            Run the table right away (or DOFLinx will eventually timeout) and wait for it to startup.
            After your Future Pinball table starts up, DO NOT press any buttons or begin a game yet!

You now MUST wait for up to 15 secs for DOFLinx to create a LINK to the table and initialize the PuP-Pack. (typically only 5 secs)
            After the Link is established, it may take several seconds for all the PuP-Pack video layers to appear.
            Once you see the “complete” Pup-pack displayed, then you can start playing.
            If you click into the Future Pinball main game window with your mouse, and the videos go away….just wait for a moment, and they will come back again.

When you are done playing, you must exit and “completely” close the Future Pinball editor.
            This is needed for DOFLinx to close the FP Link and also close out the PuP-Pack.
            This MUST be done each time a table is exited, if you want to use DOFLinx or PuP-Packs.

In the case of Tron Legacy pup-pack for FP…you WON’T see anything after that table is loaded, as the table is in a “power-down” mode. Wait about 15 secs after it loads…then Press Start. The table will come alive, and it everything works…. The pup-pack should show up.

I plan on doing an all-in one video for FP specifically to show how to get all needed software up and running to go along with the release of my Jaws Ultimate Pro pup-pack.

Ashram56
            Participant
              @ashram56

Thanks, that did the trick !

I had not realized that the FP_ATTEMPT_LINK was key to establish a link with FP

Note to TerryRed for the guide:

• You don’t need FP Backglass enabled for PuP to work
              • And likewise, you don’t need to disable Fullscreen mode for the Playfield (which is more convenient given the way FP handles resolution settings), so I basically have my Playfield set to Fullscreen/Arcade, and no second monitor for the backglass (so no need to disable Fullscreen), that way PuP screen comes up nicely

This experiment was very useful for my preparation of my cabinet, as I realized that if I plan to use these PuP packs, I really need a separate DMD, as I’m missing a lot of information if I don’t have one (in contrast the regular FP backglass includes both DMD and video animation on a single screen).

Question though: If I were to add a DMD, it would have to be an LCD as well, or can I use a real DMD instead and still get DMD information from your PuP pack ?

I’m asking this question because I was originally planning a mini pincab. However adding a second screen just to act as a DMD will be mechanically (and visually difficult).

Alternatively, I could use any 7 to 9 inches display instead.

Or alternatively again, I could use the 3-in-1 packs, which for Tron Legacy seem to be available for VP but not for FP, am I correct ?

Regards

TerryRed
                @terryred

Thanks, that did the trick !

I had not realized that the FP_ATTEMPT_LINK was key to establish a link with FP

Note to TerryRed for the guide:

• You don’t need FP Backglass enabled for PuP to work
                • And likewise, you don’t need to disable Fullscreen mode for the Playfield (which is more convenient given the way FP handles resolution settings), so I basically have my Playfield set to Fullscreen/Arcade, and no second monitor for the backglass (so no need to disable Fullscreen), that way PuP screen comes up nicely

This experiment was very useful for my preparation of my cabinet, as I realized that if I plan to use these PuP packs, I really need a separate DMD, as I’m missing a lot of information if I don’t have one (in contrast the regular FP backglass includes both DMD and video animation on a single screen).

Question though: If I were to add a DMD, it would have to be an LCD as well, or can I use a real DMD instead and still get DMD information from your PuP pack ?

I’m asking this question because I was originally planning a mini pincab. However adding a second screen just to act as a DMD will be mechanically (and visually difficult).

Alternatively, I could use any 7 to 9 inches display instead.

Or alternatively again, I could use the 3-in-1 packs, which for Tron Legacy seem to be available for VP but not for FP, am I correct ?

Regards

You misunderstood a couple of things in my guide. To correct you and also and answer your questions….

You do need the FP backglass screen enabled if you want to see a FP DMD when playing in a cabinet:

• if you have a real DMD, FP Intercept reads the DMD data from the FP backglass screen
                • if you use a separate LCD screen for a DMD, you would need FutureDMD to read the DMD data from the FP backglass screen
                • if you are crazy like me and you use the FP Backglass screen as your LCD DMD screen for “some tables” (and I display a looping video or PuP-Pack for my Backglass)

So understand that something like the Tron Legacy PuP-Pack doesn’t have a space to show a DMD. So the pup-pack may obscure it. This is also the same for VPX pup-packs as well. Most pup-packs don’t allow for a DMd to be displayed on top of it.

So it’s in your best interest to have a dedicated DMD or LCD screen of some sort.

If you are using a “square” backglass screen, then you can edit the pup-pack to display in 16:9 and not use the bottom part of your backglass to allow for a dmd to be displayed.

As for setting the FP playfield screen to not be fullscreen… that is only needed for a single screen desktop view, not a cabinet setup.

Ashram56
                Participant
                  @ashram56

Many thanks TerryRed for your help and the clarifications

I’ll go with a separate DMD, just have to figure out the best option (ie real DMD or small HDMI screen – second option is cheap, but requires a three output gfx board, I’ll try that tough for starter).

I’ll also test the 3-in-1 pack using VPX

Regards

PinWiz99
                  Participant
                    @pinwiz99

If you’re gonna go 3 screens and re-purposing an old PC, use the onboard graphics card for your DMD and the ones on your GPU for playfield and backglass.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?