Jungle Girl fpx (preview release)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    LynnInDenver
    Participant
      @lynnindenver

I’m going to guess that it’s a table that would have either not made my cut because it heavily relied on the old pre-BAM physics/barely worked under any physics), or has fallen off the available downloads and never made it in to my pile for review. I might have some interest depending on how my schedule shakes out at that point.

I can fully understand the whole “oh noes, I have to throw most of this out and start more or less from scratch” problem. Sometimes it’s just faster that way, though. Some pinball restorers have run into that with cabinets that seemed perfectly salvageable when they started, but turned out to be much more work than just ordering a brand new carcass to begin with, especially with WPC cabinets.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

shiva
      Participant
        @shiva

Not much work actually, just play and see if the backglass DMD works. (It didn’t before) Decided this one best to just fix a couple things, and not worry about a new engine or redoing all the graphics. Quite a well known game even among vp players, so if I can hammer out as many issues as possible without making months of work for me then I’m sure people will be happy.

Well, how about a hint then? Anyone who has played it will get it immediately.

https://funny-video-online.com/watch/x4y2h3p365u2b406y265j4.html

It is quite old, predates BAM and ZED physics, and custom models were only starting to be done. Have my hands full with this one. :)

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

TerryRed
          @terryred
          MemberContributorModerator

Not much work actually, just play and see if the backglass DMD works. (It didn’t before) Decided this one best to just fix a couple things, and not worry about a new engine or redoing all the graphics. Quite a well known game even among vp players, so if I can hammer out as many issues as possible without making months of work for me then I’m sure people will be happy.

Well, how about a hint then? Anyone who has played it will get it immediately.

https://funny-video-online.com/watch/x4y2h3p365u2b406y265j4.html

It is quite old, predates BAM and ZED physics, and custom models were only starting to be done. Have my hands full with this one. :)

Too obvious for me to not know what it was…even if I didn’t already know what you were working on :)

I’m very adept at BAM’s many new features for lighting and shadowmaps.

You don’t need to do like VPX with fake halo glows,etc to make the table look modern and really nice.

With the right BAM settings for global lighting, post processing, and the numerous other settings that affect lighting it can really look stellar.

Using hardware nano flashers (2 or 3 for the G.I) that can be hidden and now have the light source separately positioned is key to making an old game look really nice with “real” lighting and shadowmaps and not making things look fake’ish. I used this on RetroFlair – BAM for the G.I. and other lights…looks stunning when done right. It made a HUGE difference for SLAM’s more recent tables as well (and I adjusted those more as well)

You no longer need the old methods of multiple playfield surface swaps for shadows and lights. The original playfield surface is all you need. If absolutely needed, you can do BAM texture swaps of the playfield now….but with the right lighting, its not needed. I know many tables Steve (and others) did long ago used multi-playfield surfaces….so I know that is some work to update…but you get the reflections back on the playfield and it allows you to do more and make the table look correct.

Than on top of that adjusting ALL “lights” separately for the level and glow intensity (via BAM commands) for inserts, flashers, and bulbs.

Many tend to do them all in one command. This is not the way to go. Making ALL lights and G.I match together is key to making the entire table look good…. instead of having generic multiple light settings to choose from.

BAM’s ability to be able to make any light change colour on the fly via script commands (RGB lighting) opens loads of neat effects that we’ve seen in modern pins, as well as some VPX originals, and SLAM’s recent U-Pro updates have started using it very nicely.

You can see how I did a lot of this with RetroFlair – BAM (2nd video had a lot more updates, and shows of lighting much better).

If you have any questions…let me know!

shiva
          Participant
            @shiva

Hell of a lot of typing though terry, as I found out just typing in the light/bulb/plastic code. :)

This will be basic, none of the real fancy stuff like mini playfields etc, as just don’t have the time to learn at the moment.

TerryRed
              @terryred

Hell of a lot of typing though terry, as I found out just typing in the light/bulb/plastic code. :)

This will be basic, none of the real fancy stuff like mini playfields etc, as just don’t have the time to learn at the moment.

Yah Retroflair-BAM was my learning ground for many of BAM’s new features… but once I got that down, it it pretty transferable to a new table for the lighting, etc.

I was actually blown away by the “table in question’s” use for things that would change or move on the playfield. One would have thought it was using miniplayfield’s with how well it was done.

LynnInDenver
              Participant
                @lynnindenver

Yeah, I’m drawing a blank, but I’ve only really been doing serious virtual pinball related poking around for around 5 years now, and Future Pinball wasn’t going through the renaissance at the time, so I likely missed it before I was started to specialize in Visual Pinball.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

shiva
                Participant
                  @shiva

You will like it I think. It pushed my co-author and I to the limits at the time, and its pushing my limits even more today as there’s some huge limitations now,like the graphic and model masters all are lost. To this day I am shocked that the base FP can actually play it and as well as it can.

Yeah Terry, it really showed what one person can actually do. I was worried about the mini playfield aspect, but looks like I would not have to. If it wasn’t for the fact that the images were all gone (hard drive I believe, I didn’t do the graphics) I would be sorely tempted to make some big changes to make the table play a lot better, and maybe throw in a couple new things. I would have to redo all the graphics from scratch, and the time I’m spending on this is less time for fpx, which is far more important. Really can’t justify that amount of time.

shiva
                  Participant
                    @shiva

Think JG will be marked final. No issues have come up, besides, I want to continue on this next short project, even though it’s been quite some bitch to fix up. Still, adding some more of my graphics. I did the apron to the original version, was very surprised no one got it I was the co-author as there is a pretty spectacular mistake on it that gave it away. For those of you who have the game, look at the left instruction card. Oops… :)

I’m going to leave it there anyway, find it kind of funny really.

I would post a image, but apparently, my images are a security threat to this website as it won’t allow me to upload jpg or png files. No worries, still a ways to go anyway, and subject to change with me.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    shiva
                    Participant
                      @shiva

About time I showed this off a bit. Maybe more people will play it then.

A quick preview of Jungle Girl fpx v1.1 for Future Pinball/BAM, now in development. This features the new changes and shows off the new shivaDynamicFlippers with the variable coil strength feature. You can set these new flippers to emulate the flippers used in the 1950’s all the way up to a modern Stern in terms of behavior, and you now have “ball loft” and “flick” capabilities as well as some voodoo to the flipper wall method I use for shivaFlippers. This is still in development, but is about 95 percent done. The blank audio portion is for voices to be (hopefully) added, and there are minor adjustments needed for the custom physics. The game itself has had a lot of minor tweaks across the board, and made a slight bit faster and harder.

There are 2 videos, the first where I had a bad game and forgot to switch off my microphone when I was playing a old Gladys Knight record (Content police!!!)

[MEDIA=youtube]R49YCiMkVJs[/MEDIA]

And the second playthrough, this time I show the settings from the script, as well as my video settings. Much better game for me and I stopped trying to show off, fail and just played the game. I try to demonstrate some of the more advanced features of the flippers in both videos, maybe successful 1 out of 10 times, but when successful, you can see that these are not the FP flippers and physics your grandpa hated.

[MEDIA=youtube]iBZitQYeV7w:318[/MEDIA]

Despite the fact I play horribly, every once in a while you see the “loft” capability and a couple pinball tricks that I will never be able to duplicate a million times with the flippers, like that nice drop catch and quick transfer to the other flipper in the second video (about 5.40. bet you never thought FP could do that could you?) . Everything across the board has been improved slightly, even a couple graphics changes.

This uses FP/BAM as a base starting point, and every trick in the playbook I have to get it to play better than that. Honestly, I can’t think of even a vpx game that plays like this even with it’s “perfect physics”. In fact, most vpx games are “too perfect” and lack character and play ability, and come off as too dull and “by the book” for my tastes. Jungle Girl is so different than anything else, because even though this is early in development for my newest physics, JG is still one hell of a great playing table. The game play-ability is as good if not better than anything else out there that I have come across, so really you should consider this the start of a third type of physics as compared to FP/Bam or VPX.

For those of you who do not have Jungle girl, you can find the first version here:

https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?resources%2Fjungle-girl-fpx-preview-release.5547%2F

Attachments:
                      3 users thanked author for this post.
                      TerryRed
                        @terryred

@shiva

Its a beautiful table. I’m not as much into EM’s… but for an original table this is lovely.

I do want to ask though… I noticed you added what seems like… sorry to say it this way…. VPX-like textured image for the glow on top of the flashers.

There really isn’t a need for this in FP now with BAM. You can get REALLY stunning “real” lighting from flashers with the right BAM Lighting and more importantly Post Processing settings that GREATLY changes how the flasher lighting works (the center glow and how it projects, the size and colour of the FP halo flare, etc)….

….or if you still want to use those images… you can have them added so that they will “look” towards the camera at all times in all views… so they don’t look flat in certain views. It can be done like what I did with Michael Myers on Halloween (how he faced the camera always looking at you no matter what). this is done easily enough with BAM miniplayfields. I can show you how if interested.

shiva
                        Participant
                          @shiva

I know about that terry. We all have our style, and you know what? I like to be different than everyone else, do new things whether they work out or not. I’m old school, the way I (and others) were from the start 20 years ago. Some things don’t quite work, but sometimes, some things turn out to be more than good, they turn out to be truly great.

TerryRed
                            @terryred

I know about that terry. We all have our style, and you know what? I like to be different than everyone else, do new things whether they work out or not. I’m old school, the way I (and others) were from the start 20 years ago. Some things don’t quite work, but sometimes, some things turn out to be more than good, they turn out to be truly great.

Totally understand.

ravarcade has added so many new features in the last 6 months to BAM that I wasn’t sure if you have been up to speed with them. I can barely keep up myself.

PEandS1Ws
                            Participant
                              @peands1ws

Wheels for this beautiful table:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yMU9jFsjH-pyzCgfFxuELq9COaf5crto/view?usp=sharing

Preview here:

https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?threads/jungle-girl-fpx-preview-release.18223/page-2

shiva
                              Participant
                                @shiva

Well, thought I had included the wheel image in the High res folder with JG, but apparently not. Found my psd file, and did some extra quick work and a couple touch-ups on it, so this would be my alternative wheel image.

shiva
                                Participant
                                  @shiva

A new era in FP physics begins…

Have sent version rc2 out for testing, to see if we can hammer out the presets for the new shivaflipper physics and variable coil system. This adds capabilities that FP couldn’t do before because these new physics was completely missing from the beginning. So far, from what I have gotten back, people are having a very hard time getting their head wrapped around these new physics, mainly because we are all so use to 15 years of crappy flippers, and now that we have the ability to loft, flick and generally finesse our shots, we are having a very hard time getting use to it.

I made this very easy to do, I believe vpx can do these things, but I’ve never been fast enough to do it, and I suspect a lot of other people as well, so the settings are very liberal for us poor keyboard players. I’ve added 5 presets, and the ability to add more, so when the game is released (hopefully next week) maybe some vpxers will play around with it and help fine tune the settings.

Still have a way to go, there’s a couple more things to figure out and get a workaround for, but even after staring at code for several months, and constant testing, I’m still having a hard time believing this is a FP game now. I really hope some people give this a chance, a lot of hard work was put into this by not just myself but many others, and we deserve better than “FP sucks, don’t play it no matter what” with out even getting a chance to prove people wrong.

Still, to those people… better get it out of your system now, you won’t be able to say that for too much longer.

JR
                                  Participant
                                    @jfr1

Thanks for the work you’re doing to push this tech forward.

shiva
                                    Participant
                                      @shiva

Big difference so far. Still, ways to go to trick FP into being something other than acting like flash flippers from 15 years ago.

shiva
                                      Participant
                                        @shiva

Testers are scattered all over the place, so there’s a central thread for feedback and comments. Or in this case praise, as everyone just loves the game and the major improvements. I expect more soon, but I suspect some people are a bit shellshocked at the difference this plays.  A second test version is coming in a few days (figured out something) and looks like a release afterwards. For those who contacted me about a version for use in other FP tables here, I have rearranged and rewritten the remarks in the script so it is a lot easier, and intend to do a sample example using the stock FP new table template, as well as add it to fpxEngine down the road.

Thread is at PN. I also update the progress of the next build every once in a while.

https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/threads/shivaflippers-v3-beta-test-thread.20220/

Also, I see people are wondering about what fpx actually is. This is my designation, it stands for Future Pinball Extended.

fpx games use the latest BAM code, and  my latest physics code such as shivaFlippers and my own Bounce control system, as well as custom physics shaping and tricks to get around FP bugs. It also uses the latest code from many other authors as well, to make FP games the best possible games we can do at the present moment.  I will be updating several games after JG is finished, and will include the fpx designation in my table file name so people know this is a new generation of FP tables. Hopefully other authors will do so, because yes, it is that big of a improvement. Think better than VP9 now, and very unique flippers with a “feel” that I actually like better than arcade games and vpx in some ways.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by shiva.
                                        JLLL
                                        Participant
                                          @jlouloulou

@shiva , your table is fantastic! Not only for graphic ( which are crazy yeaaah ), we know what FP can do for our eyes, But you Scripted physics is a big big step!

I thinks it’s a must now, and it could change the Future of FP. I like to play Slamt1lt/Terry table for fun on my laptop but not on pincab, but now with your physics, it tends to get closer from VPX physics / realistic physics. It’s a real pleasure! I think when you will release the final version of your physics, all the table need to be update. I’m hurry to play to DSA Star wars with you physics and other :yahoo:

So, i hope you will released a tutorial to add them on every table. I watch you script, it need to add elements in editor like nfozzy do on vpx.. But without tutorial, we need to search them loool.. like a treasure hunt lol.

Thanks to you and other for involving FP,

Cheers,

JLou

shiva
                                          Participant
                                            @shiva

Thanks JLLL. I’m doing Test version 2. I hope to have it ready real soon, have to combat yet another thing that FP threw at me, but thinking so far (fingers crossed) that I have found a workaround. The flippers are a bit better at least to me, a bit more closer to vpx. Still not quite there, but I am going to try and rope another coder to have a look at it and see if he can help come up with a better or simpler solution.

I have done a rewrite and rearranging of the script, and written a lot of remarks explaining the code, and afterwards, when JG is (finally) out, will see about a proper example table so it is as easy as possible for others to add this to their tables. I also think a couple of my other tables deserve  to be fpx tables as well, and of course, will help with other tables if needed.

I think FP flippers still can be better. It’s very tough to get FP to play like this, with so many missing physics compared to vpx, but there’s always room for improvement. I have a very good idea what to try out next, but I’m going to leave that for a little while as getting a little tired of staring at this game and especially the code in it.

Have to say I agree with you about other tables. After playing JG with the new flipper physics for a few days, I went to play another game and lasted about 45 seconds before I went “nope” and exited out. I suspect I will be doing a lot of modding of other tables myself.  :)

_____________________________________

_____________________________________
                                            Latest Project: fpxEngine Table Builder

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 61 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?