Jungle Girl fpx (preview release)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    shiva
    Participant
      @shiva

I love the classic Bally tables. They were the perfect definition of “easy to learn, fun to play, hard to master” as quoted by Harry Williams. When I decided to do this table, I thought about how much I wanted to pay tribute to those great classic games that I wasted so many quarters on in my youth. Jungle Girl is respectively dedicated to the people of Bally, for giving me a respite from the grind of life.

Jungle Girl is based on the comic book series from Dynamite Comics, and I selected that theme because you just can’t get more pinball like than a pretty girl in a bikini fighting dinosaurs. I wish to thank all the talent that helped create this game.

Additional contributions by popotte, smoke,PolyGame, GeorgeH, Francisco666, Gimli, and Ravacade. Art by Frank Cho, Adriane Batista, and others

This requires the latest version of BAM. (version 275 and higher) at http://www.ravarcade.pl/
      If you do not have Future Pinball with BAM installed, I would recommend you use the all-in-one installer, also available at http://www.ravarcade.pl/

Also, I have included the master files higher res versions of the art for those with 4k cabinets. I also included one of my master art files if someone wants to make a wheel image.

Jungle Girl has a lot of settings that can be changed within the script including adjustments of BAM settings, as well as the Ball rolling sound script from smoke. This also debuts some brand new systems that I have written just for Jungle Girl, mostly to try and get FP to “play nicely” and to work around some of the more annoying things with FP physics. These are experimental, and are switchable in the script. You vpxers are more than welcome to give this a spin as well, fp physics have come a long way in just a year, especially with BAM now giving us the ability to shape the game play and flow of the game a lot more.  Still, maybe we can make it better so everyone is welcome to comment or have suggestions.

This is a”preview” release, very little else needs to be done, it contains some brand new things with the physics so I uploaded this so the other fp table devs can have a good look. This is available at Pinball Nirvana, a final version (once I get back from vacation) based on any issues cropping up or additional stuff I add will be released to multiple sites  in April.

This is just a very fun table to play, I’m pretty sure people will be quite surprised at how good FP plays this. (Even though it still screws up…)

Download:

https://pinballnirvana.com/forums/index.php?resources/jungle-girl-fpx-preview-release.5547/

jg_screenshot backglass jg_cab

Latest projects and rants at My Facebook Page

4 users thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

This looks great @shiva thanks for sharing the link!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Oh. I’m struggling so much no saying what I really think. Admit one thing though. Looks good.

shiva
          Participant
            @shiva

There is nothing wrong with changing your mind.

Just to be clear. It’s very unfair to all the people who spend months if not years creating tables to compare FP to vp, they are two completely different things. We are all pinball guys, doesn’t matter what we use to do it with, as long as other people gets enjoyment from it. If someone doesn’t like my games, then make that judgement based on actual play, not because someone has told them not to like it.

FP will never match vpx physics, it’s just not possible and doesn’t need to be pointed out constantly anymore. The only thing I want to hear is if this improves FP physics, by how much, if my new things are on the right track for further development, and if people enjoyed playing it or not.  This is a FP table, and should just be compared and rated as a FP table.

BrandonLaw
            Participant
              @brandonlaw

Wow does this table looks fun and fantastic.  Does this table exist in VPX?  Might go check…might also need a refresh if so based on what I’m seeing exists for resources.  I know zero of how FPx builds, but can the resources transfer if so?

"Fuck this game. I love it."

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

@shiva : I really appreciate the honesty and ball crushing feedback you gave me. I admit, your right – somewhat. Problem as I see it is that anyone should have stopped touching that fucking dead horse of a crappy emulator years ago and concentrated their efforts in something that actually still has a future and yes – ** NEWS FLASH ** is being still developed and improved.

I know your a pillar in this community and I’m not really addressing you as a person right now. You are a untouchable for what you’ve done. So, please take this for what it is. A desperate cry to stop making good looking tables on engines that play shit.

rothbauerw
                  @rothbauerw
                  ModeratorContributorMembervip

I was playing around with BAM for VP a few weeks back.  In the process I was checking out FP.  It really has come a long way.  I thought I read somewhere it even can be integrated with vpinmame?  If I wasn’t so busy with VP, I might give it another look.

There really are some great authors.  This table looks fantastic. Nice work shiva.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

shiva
                  Participant
                    @shiva

thalamus, the only thing I can say is if you ever decide to download and play this game, then you will hate it for other reasons than you realize. As for the other things, I guess I can not comment on those things, that’s for the future to decide, other than the fact that you seem to think FP has no future, so you should also be ready in case you are proven wrong.

shiva
                    Participant
                      @shiva

Wow does this table looks fun and fantastic. Does this table exist in VPX? Might go check…might also need a refresh if so based on what I’m seeing exists for resources. I know zero of how FPx builds, but can the resources transfer if so?

Jungle Girl is my own creation. This is not a actual arcade game. This game is only available for FP because it’s done by me as a FP author (and it’s not quite finished yet). fpx stands for fpxEngine which is a table builder platform as well as a tutorial and learning tool for people to help them build their own table from scratch, who have never built a table before or even know any coding. Consider it a far more powerful version of the Pinball Construction Set from the 1980 era if that helps. JG  which uses the engine script portion, but the very first version. the newest version is still in early development, I will be back to work on it in April.

There is no vpx version. This game was only released yesterday. :)

(Really don’t think anyone can work that fast, even JP) As to a vpx version, anything is possible. That really is up to someone within the vpx community willing to tackle it. I wouldn’t be able to myself, don’t know anything about vpx and doubt I would be as capable as others here anyway. It is not for the faint of heart though, I compress my code, have multiple lines combined on to a single line, and the script is at 6000 lines as it is. If you uncompressed the code, and put each line on it’s own line, I wouldn’t be surprised if it tops 20,000 lines. Even if you remove the code that wouldn’t translate to vpx like the BAM code and the custom physics code, it would still be around 14,000 lines or so. That’s a lot…

Thanks to the comments already here, if someone wanted to tackle it, all I can say is it’s not a case of doing a vpx version, it’s now more of a case that it has to be better than the FP version now.

Good luck on that one. No pressure….

JR
                      Participant
                        @jfr1

“I love the classic Bally tables. They were the perfect definition of “easy to learn, fun to play, hard to master” as quoted by Harry Williams. When I decided to do this table, I thought about how much I wanted to pay tribute to those great classic games that I wasted so many quarters on in my youth.”

Dusting off…and re-figuring out my FP stuff.

shiva
                        Participant
                          @shiva

Just grab the all in one installer at rav’s site. There’s been no issues with it other than the age of FP getting in the way. GeorgeH has done a excellent post on FP and how to use it if you run into trouble.

http://gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=6054

Despite the comments, there are some games in fp that you just can’t do in vpx. Some of the better VPX non-rom game releases in the last year are in fact translations of FP tables. There are some enormously talented people that have done tables in FP, just like there are in vpx, and we are starting to apply the new physics and update those tables to make them even better. We may be a very small community, and certainly not good at defending ourselves when ever a vpxer decides to engage in a personal attack, but we have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. We are damn proud of what we are able to achieve especially in the last 2 years, and we love making the tables just as much if not more than some of the people in the vpx community.

Every time I hear that someone plays or still plays one of my games, and still enjoys it, either for fp or vp, it makes me happy enough to justify the sheer amount of time it takes to actually make one. We all feel that way, and we are all the same no matter what editor we use when it comes to that. There are games for FP that you should play because they are just so damn fun, or amazingly creative, or are just jaw dropping. Those authors deserve just as much praise as a vpx author, but most importantly, they deserve more people downloading their tables and playing it, and enjoying it for what it is, not for what it isn’t.

Hope you enjoy the game JR, and others from FP. You will find if you want to do a vpx version, that the authors in the fp community usually go out of their way to help just as much as if you were doing a fp game.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          JR
                          shiva
                          Participant
                            @shiva

For those that have VR.

There is a issue with BAM VR that affects JG as well as several games. Rav has released a beta ddl that should fix the issue, once it’s tested, it will be in the next release.

Oldschool4
                            Participant
                              @oldschool4

shiva,  Could you explain how to insert the Hi res images please. :yes:

shiva
                              Participant
                                @shiva

Unzip the file, then go into the texture manager, find the files with the same name (a_pf, a_plastic etc) listed there, select them one at a time, press the reimport button, and then just point to the high res image and click save (or okay). The files will just over write the smaller sized files with the new high res versions.

Just a note. The main files are 2048 by 1024 (power of 2) while the masters are 4096 by 1800+.  These are also uncompressed, so you need a pretty good graphics card with a lot of memory as the file size is huge. (at least 4 gigs) Unless you are actually using a actual 4k cabinet, there is no need to use them, even in 4k desktop mode, the images all ready in place should be more than good enough. At 1040p, and F2 setting the amount of lines that FP will actually draw would be about 850 lines, in 4 k it would be just over half the the existing image. Even on my gaming computer, the extra graphics will cause a drop in the frame rate, so you have been warned…  :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                Oldschool4
                                Participant
                                  @oldschool4

Tryed this on the cab,i like it,awesome lighting and sounds.  Thanks for sharing shiva. :good:

shiva
                                  Participant
                                    @shiva

Thanks, really hope you do, lots of love poured into this one.

So you got the high res graphics in? Hows it look compared to the 2048 by 1024 ones? Is it a bit more clearer and noticeable. I don’t have a cab, but maybe one day I will be able to play JG on one, would love that.

TerryRed
                                      @terryred
                                      MemberContributorModerator

Both FP and VPX are running on very old software…. and they both respectfully have been having their life extended long past what many thought would be possible.

Toxie and Fuzzel have done wonders with VPX.

Ravarcade has been doing MANY things in the last 2 years that have been game changers on FP.

Many people who had the “FP = playing like crap” attitude have tried new tables updated to modern BAM standards and have been pleasantly surprised. Once people get out of the brainwashing of “FP=evil and bad playing” mindset… they can enjoy some great tables they can’t get on VPX.

When someone like shiva, myself, GeorgeH, Gimli, francisco666, wild, Steve Paradis, SLAMT1LT, etc share their passion for FP and want to show off what we have worked on for many weeks / months… this is not a threat to the community or works of VPX or its very talented devs and authors.

The only thing that I want to hear from someone is compliments or legit suggestions for the table.

If there is something specific that you think should be changed in terms of the physics… TELL US exactly what you mean and how something should behave, etc. That I very much want to hear, as I’m no expert at it, and I can benefit from others expertise. Today many things can be done on FP that wasn’t possible years ago.

If your attitude is “FP sucks no matter what”… that quite frankly shows your ignorance about FP “today”, and honestly I have no interest in what you have to say because you’ve showed you have no interest in an objective opinion. Take your fanboy’ism to a “visual pinball” forum or topic.

I call people out on not respecting other people’s work. I don’t care if it’s FP, VPX, PUP, VR, Front-ends…etc. If all you have to offer is poison… take that elsewhere. (For the record I have occasionally slipped in FP VR comments in VPVR posts,etc.. and maybe that wasn’t wanted…. so I could do better as well).

If I make post about my new RetroFlair – BAM update…which is damn cool and I’m friggin proud of… or my PinEvent updates on FP… again doing things not even done on VPX yet… I’m friggin proud of that. If someone only posts to offers some crap about “wish this was on VPX”… or “fix the physics, lol”….  I consider that an ass-hole’ish remark and very dissrespectful.

Back on topic…..

@Shiva
                                      , this table looks fantastic! I thought it was an arcade recreation. Wow!

I know you have been working on the fpx engine for some time. I wonder if now having full com object access in FP using the BAM COM Extensions plug-in will benefit you at all?

I want to try this beauty out…but I can’t get Pinball Nirvanna to send me a confirmation code to my email. :(

bord
                                        @bord
                                        MembervipContributorModerator

Both FP and VPX are running on very old software…. and they both respectfully have been having their life extended long past what many thought would be possible.

This is not a bit of an exaggeration. I keep hoping a new alternative will show up that solves the inherent problems in each of them. I’d be the first person on board. But hey, we each get to pick our own poison around here, right? No need to whitewash the limitations of either platform.

Great to see you working on stuff again, @Shiva! I remember your VP stuff from way back in the day.

shiva
                                        Participant
                                          @shiva

Terry you should be fine now to get in. If others have any problems, let me know. This new software is really the best professional software you can get, but none of us there are actually professionals, so it’s a major learning experience for all of us. Still, just bitch slaps VBulletin, but then, it’s also almost double the price as well.  :)

As to all this, all I can say is if someone hates the fact that I release a game that’s automatically bad because of “poor” physics, especially after commenting that without even playing the game, then that’s fine with me, just don’t play the game. It’s not my loss, it’s theirs as far as I am concerned. They only thing they have done is just deny themselves any possible enjoyment and if they are devs themselves, any tricks or techniques that make themselves and their own tables better.

I’ve been very fortunate to work with the absolute best that FP has to offer in terms of creative minds. I’ve learned just as much as I have taught and I am a far better dev because of it. People expect me to hate the entire vp community and turn my back because I have had to endure the crap that only the VP community can dish out longer than anyone else, but that is not true either, it’s just ancient history to me. If there is a vp guy that I truly respect as a dev, as a person, and wants me to help out on a vp table (as a design helper or graphics person) then I would be all over that like a dirty shirt.

People make this out to be some sort of war. It’s not. What gets me is being lumped into that. I’m pretty damn good at what I do. I don’t say it. I prove it. Jungle Girl is one of the best playing FP games period, because I spent months and pulled out every trick I could. I wouldn’t put my name on it, or release it if I didn’t think it wasn’t the best I could do at that time. (Though I still want to be better)

Bord: Thank you, it’s nice to be remembered after such a long time, and even better it appears to be fondly. You get so much negativity that you forget that there are people who do appreciate the work put in. I have the utmost respect for you sir as a fellow designer committed to the highest quality tables, and am astonished that you can put out the amount of tables that you do that even beats tii’s output. On that note,  I’m trying to do more, the next project is a BAM and minor update of a existing FP game that I had co-worked on that even vpxers praised. Basically, one of the best tables ever done on FP, and I find it very funny people who constantly trash me even after 8 years over at that other forum liked that table as much.  They won’t say that if they knew it was actually me and not one of my fake names. :)

Good joke on my part, soon it’s time for the punchline. This is a little side project that makes me happy. The big stuff from me is coming afterwards.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                          JR
                                          Participant
                                            @jfr1

I have limited experience with FP so can’t compare this table to other FP’s but I can say that on the laptop I use for testing, it plays very nice…and that would be comparing it to hundreds of VPX games.  Seem to be getting good aiming off the flippers.   I did have one ‘superbounce’ event but I see that there are settings for that.  I AM familiar with the 80’s Bally pin era (my favorite) @shiva and the design/artwork of JG has it nailed.  Lighting might be a bit boisterous (but hey, it’s pinball!)  but I love the nods to Fathom and especially like the skill shot.  Will throw this on the cab tonight, put on some sunglasses B-)   and play some more!

Thanks!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?