Need help with sound setup

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I blew my amp the other day and just got a new one and found a problem.

I have a set of computer speakers and sub running the main sound from the audio port in the back of the computer.  Mine is older and only has one audio out jack.  The table sounds are assigned to the tv that is in the back glass.  I have an rca red and white cable plugged into the tv audio out running to an amp and have two exciters and a 6 inch  subwoofer.

the issue is that all table sounds are only going out the right exciter and sub.  If I change the audio balance on the tv all the way left I get nothing.  Don’t know if it’s the tv or what.  Should I just look into a 5.1 or 7.1 sound card for the computer.

JR
      Participant
        @jfr1

I’m pretty sure you’ve tried this but – have you reversed the cables?

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

I actually didn’t…. I just did and it reversed so I am only getting sound on one channel coming out.  question is am I getting it coming in like that

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

i think the best thing to do would be to get a sound card and go from there.  My left exciter stopped working though.   just pulled it.  gonna find a way to test it on multimeter

JR
            Participant
              @jfr1

Always good to have an excuse to acquire new gear!  …but maybe it’s just a bad cable?  I’m finally upgrading to an SSD.  Samsung 1TB are down to $100.  I should probably look at sound cards as well.

Have to ask – why the switch to a helicopter avatar?  Hope I’m not missing something obvious.

Badazzwi
              Participant
                @badazzwi

Could very well be the cable as one side of it carry the sound for the left channel and the other for the right channel.

I’m in the process of upgrading my sound system too. I was going to get a 7.1 card for my PC but I picked up a 7.1 reciever for cheap so I’m going to try that route.

Hi my name is Barry and I'm a virtual pinball addict.

Tom
                Participant
                  @armyaviation
                  MemberContributor

Stupid question, the tv speakers are working on both channels, when I hit the left flipper it should only sound on the left speaker and right on right correct?

I am”hopefully” changing jobs from flying for the airlines and going back to flying helicopters for the Border Patrol.  Plus it makes me happier to see the helicopter.  I miss it.  Wanted to put a Blackhawk on the Raven table but had to stay correct with the movie

Thalamus
                    @thalamus
                    ContributorMemberModerator

In your case Tom. I would consider getting me a exteral 5.1 / 7.1 card. I’m ready your description and I’m still not understanding it :)

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation
                      MemberContributor

Trust me it’s a confusing setup to me the way I have it.   I am ordering a card now. Will I still be able to use the onboard sound output with the card installed for the backglass music and the card will handle the pf sounds or does the external sound card handle all of them

Thalamus
                        @thalamus

You will configure vp to use the new card and then from there on attach subs and speakers.

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

I actually had a sound blaster 5.1 card but I didn’t have a slot for it in my old motherboard.  I found a new motherboard in my stash that I can use the card on and it has more ram slots and it was free so score

Tom
                          Participant
                            @armyaviation
                            MemberContributor

58561221291__8357250B-DFAC-4324-AECB-F9B0ED7FED36

I have my main BG speakers in the middle bottom green outlet.  The top has side/ rear/ sub.  are those input or outputs???

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

On my motherboard drivers I can change what output goes to. So, that is kind of a trick question. https://www.reaper-x.com/2012/02/13/how-to-remap-retasking-realtek-onboard-jacks-ports/

Normally though. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-audio-jacks-are-which.3098416/ – Just google Realtek Audio Jack Colors. Or replace Realtek with the producer.

Tom
                              Participant
                                @armyaviation
                                MemberContributor

I think that’s my issue.  I switched motherboards and don’t think I have the required drivers or media.  I couldn’t find anything in the system about surround.  Just download Realtek?

Thalamus
                                  @thalamus

There are several programs on the internet that tells you in details what hardware id’ is in your system. I recommend to get a bootable linux usb and from there run ‘lspci’ – it will tell you make, model, number, fw – almost more than you need to know. That way you can be sure what you are looking for – for windows.

Other way is of course. Have a really close look at the motherboard itself. If you figure the exact name. I would be surprised if you can’t find an old manual on the internet that tells you what is on the board.

Tom
                                  Participant
                                    @armyaviation
                                    MemberContributor

ok working on it now thanks.

Tom
                                    Participant
                                      @armyaviation
                                      MemberContributor

Asus has a sound program that they perinatal but of course I don’t have the original software and they don’t offer the download.  I am gonna try contacting them.

That linux thing may be over my head, not as scrolled up on that as you are Thalamus, lol

Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @armyaviation
                                        MemberContributor

I got the drivers for Realtek for my computer.  Do I need software?  also any help on this setup.  do I plug my backglass speakers in the main input and the PF speakers in the sides or rear?

also this?? :wacko:

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus

If you got the drivers for Realtek. You should first start there. Go to control panel for sound and make sure that you enable surround first. Only then will it work in VP.

Tom
                                          Participant
                                            @armyaviation
                                            MemberContributor

don’t see an option for that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?