Pinball (Stern 1977)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

Putting the phrase “setlocale(1033)” on line 3 doesnt seem to affect the way i play it here so should that just be inserted into V1.1

I know we talked about this before @thalamus, but i have a short memory, lol, what does the locale do and how and where would you change that.

STAT
      Participant
        @stefanaustria
        MemberContributor

Thanks Thalamus, thats the Fix :good:

setlocale, it is to set some Functions for the Script / Language Code, i think like the .00 for the Comma …
        I think, it isn’t needed for everyone, just the Guys who have not/or have EN/US/DE Systems …

I can’t say if that is 100% ok.

1 user thanked author for this post.
        Tom
        Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Well. https://www.devguru.com/content/technologies/vbscript/functions-setlocale.html

In this case. I think it is a bug with the script engine. But, these things are a bit above my pay grade which is $0 … same as Toxie, Fuzzel btw ;)

For what I understand of the issue, it is to do with string handling … it is trying to make a complete command via execute where it appends strings to each other “dynamically”. Obviously, there is a issue there for those that are not US. Where the actual issue is, I don’t know. Someone smarter than me needs to explain it ;)

Tom
          Blompottan
          Participant
            @blomman

1 Option Explicit
            2 Randomize
            3 setlocale(1033)   <————- and off we go :yahoo:

Looks fantastic Tom!

:good:

STAT
            Participant
              @stefanaustria
              MemberContributor

Got a good Score, without Beer (3 Balls) … 845.040 ? Beat itB-)

IMG_20200526_213303

So there is only 2 Players possible, this would be a nice Function, that we can use “StartGameKey” only 2-times,
              before the Game start … :scratch: … Keys are based on ROM, i know … more or less only a ROM Fix would help.

Thalamus
                @thalamus
                ContributorMemberModerator

Yeah. Seems we’ve only got a 2 player rom dumped for this game – or, there is a setting somewhere. :unsure:

STAT
                Participant
                  @stefanaustria
                  MemberContributor

Ah OK, you only can add 2 Players, found out now with a Beer!

And if you had a bad 1st Ball, you can Start a new Game, if the Ball is in Plunger Lane.

Tom
                  Participant
                    @armyaviation
                    MemberContributor

Read the wip on the issue with the rom.  Very confusing though

Kellogs
                    Participant
                      @kellogs

Eh. Anyone else getting a error on line 770 at the start of the table ? I know I had it before, but, I just commented out that code and forgot about it. Thought it was fixed – or maybe it is on my end ?!

I have this error too, commented it out, the error apears in line 778 I think

Greynurse
                      Participant
                        @greynurse

Thanks for the table, Tom.

Nice to see some more classics coming up from VP9, even though my poor PC is almost haemorrhaging despite setting many things in the tables to minumum values (and static rendering many primitives). But it’s worth it. And thanks to the other members for working through these little problems that pop up. It’s appreciated by the rest of us.

Cheers,
                        Nursie

Updon
                        Participant
                          @posty90

another wheel I found while sifting through “pinball” lol

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8313

batch
                          Participant
                            @batch

Thanks for this nice table from the past

JR
                            Participant
                              @jfr1

This is done?  Well what the heck am I doing here…back to page one!

JR
                              Participant
                                @jfr1

LOVE this!  Thanks Tom and team for bringing this to vp life!  The artwork really sets this apart.  IPDB doesn’t list the artist but for those my age this rings some bells – Roger Crumb – Keep on Truckin guy and Gilbert Shelton – Grateful Dead Shakedown Street album cover which looks very similar to this backglass!  Will enjoy this a LOT!  Thanks again Tom!!

32assassin
                                Participant
                                  @32assassin

another wheel I found while sifting through “pinball” lol

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=8313

I was under the impression that their where multiple versions of this available

Pinball (Stern 1977)

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
                                  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

STAT
                                  Participant
                                    @stefanaustria
                                    MemberContributor

Eh. Anyone else getting a error on line 770 at the start of the table ? I know I had it before, but, I just commented out that code and forgot about it. Thought it was fixed – or maybe it is on my end ?!

I have this error too, commented it out, the error apears in line 778 I think

See here: https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/pinball-stern-1977/#post-182758

united kingdom
                                    Participant
                                      @rockhouse

plays superb nice to have a pinball called pinball

a new one on me

keep em coming

many thanks

Ron
                                      Participant
                                        @radikal

It appears that the non English US locale impacts the translation of the decimal point in some of the scripting (Execute in particular). Something along the lines of 1.25 and 1,25 notation for fractions varying based on the locale. A value of .75 going through a non US English string concatenation and conversion for the purposes of being executed dynamically could very well convert the .75 to ,75 (and using 1 instead would dodge the locale translation issue).

VBCore should have locale(1033) to assure these types of subtle translation gotchas are avoided.

-Ron

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

Ron, @radikal, what the hell are you saying brother?  Speak in lay mans terms for us dumb people.  No really, I have no clue what you guys are talking about.  Hopefully this fixes this table for everyone!

Ron
                                          Participant
                                            @radikal

Ron, @radikal, what the hell are you saying brother? Speak in lay mans terms for us dumb people. No really, I have no clue what you guys are talking about. Hopefully this fixes this table for everyone!

Fair enough. I’ll provide an example and a link that explains the history:

By accepted convention, numbers written in English speaking countries use a decimal point and European countries use a decimal comma to delineate where the whole numbers end and the fraction begins.

Example: 5 and 3/4 would be written as 5.75 in the US & UK and as 5,75 in non-English speaking parts of Europe.

As Microsoft in all its software wisdom asks at Windows install time what language/country you’re in so they know whether to show numbers with decimal points or decimal commas (as well as which time zone to apply), this leads to a scenario where you don’t get the expected result – when converting a string of text to a number.

The scripting language used in Visual Pinball doesn’t force you to declare the kind of variable or constant (integer, string, fraction or floating point, big integer – long, etc.) you’re using and tries to figure it out based on context. So, when you have a string “.75” and try to use it as a number, it happily converts it to an internal representation of a number. Just as you can’t convert “7@5” into a number (what do I do with the @ sign?), if you’re in the US or UK and you see “,75” you don’t know what to do with the comma. Conversely, if you’re in Germany and see “.75” you don’t know what to do with the period. Microsoft provides a setlocale function in the scripting engine VP uses to tell the system which convention to apply. setlocale(1033) happens to set it to the US convention so the “.75” is understood to mean three fourths.

When it was suggested to use “1” instead of “.75” none of the locale conventions get in the way, so the code doesn’t error out. I bet if you try 1.0 you’ll get the same error as .75 gave.

Link: http://www.languageediting.com/format-numbers-eu-vs-us/

I particularly am amused that English Canada uses a decimal point and French Canada uses a decimal comma (but at least they both drive on the same side of the road). :-)

-Ron

Tom
                                          Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 67 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?