Pinscape controller and plunger

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    HauntFreaks
      @hauntfreaks
      vipContributorMember

I wonder why more people are not trying the optical mouse solution presented on the other forum. I’m almost there myself and looking forward to seeing how that works. Everyone’s got an old mouse lying around…

can an optical mouse be connected to the KL25Z??….

I still believe the aedr8300 optical scale would be the most accurate

I use the original optical setup in my cab…. but I’ve also build a cab with the linear pot

I also have this, but never tried it…

HauntFreaks
        @hauntfreaks
        vipContributorMember

This is a well-timed post as my Zeb’s plunger just gave up the ghost. It lasted 2 years and worked well, but I’ve been thinking about moving to Pinscape so I can add the expansion board.

If anyone is interested in putting together a batch order for any Pinscape/Expansion/Optical Encoder Plunger parts let me know. I don’t have the time to organize it right now but we may be able to save some cash on a group buy.

Bord your in the US right??… if so message me

LeChucksBeard
        Participant
          @lechucksbeard

I wonder why more people are not trying the optical mouse solution presented on the other forum. I’m almost there myself and looking forward to seeing how that works. Everyone’s got an old mouse lying around…

can an optical mouse be connected to the KL25Z??….

The user NailBuster coded a little driver to translate mouse movement into rY joystick signal for use with VPX directly, and there’s a demo video at VPForums. It seems to be working well and I’m going to try it, because all it takes is an old mouse lying around and no added expense for a sensor. I have the KL25Z for nudging, but the mouse thing doesn’t use that. This is not really on topic I guess. I was just wondering why it’s not talked about more as all other options are actually more expensive.

HauntFreaks
            @hauntfreaks
            vipContributorMember

I was just wondering why it’s not talked about more as all other options are actually more expensive.

a high DPI mouse is more then a linear pot $5 or other options that are maybe up to $30?

I mean unless someone wants to take there $80 gaming mouse to use…

NailBuster
              @nailbuster
              ModeratorMember

I was just wondering why it’s not talked about more as all other options are actually more expensive.

a high DPI mouse is more then a linear pot $5 or other options that are maybe up to $30? I mean unless someone wants to take there $80 gaming mouse to use…

yes….but how many people have an extra/old linear pot laying around ;)

I guess it’s not really about which one is better/cheaper…etc.  If you have a KLZ25 already, then it would probably make more sense to use the POT.

LeChucksBeard
              Participant
                @lechucksbeard

Personally  I’m not looking to try an $80 gaming mouse, just the old optical mouse that’s laying around and worth about $1. It will probably have enough DPI for a pinball machine.

HauntFreaks
                  @hauntfreaks
                  vipContributorMember

Personally I’m not looking to try an $80 gaming mouse, just the old optical mouse that’s laying around and worth about $1. It will probably have enough DPI for a pinball machine.

before you think it will be good enough take a look at this, this is the scale that the AEDR-8300 optical sensor uses (kinda like a bar code scanner) does this look like what low dpi mouse would pickup??… in the end it whatever you want…

LeChucksBeard
                  Participant
                    @lechucksbeard

Yes, even if your mouse had only 200dpi, it would be enough. It’s more than the DPI of the LCD screen, even at 4k, and a lot more than what that scale is. I can just pick up that old mouse right now and run a smooth piece of cardboard under it and the cursor runs pretty smoothly.

Dustin
                    Participant
                      @fwiler

Expensive mouse is not needed.  Low dpi is still very accurate and far more data than needed, especially considering this use case.  There’s only so many positions (redraws) in the virtual plunger. It’s surprisingly inexpensive and easy to setup.  (Bracket, paint or popsicle  stick, and something to hold the mouse to bracket. No soldering, extra wires, firmware, etc.  To me this is the go to solution.  No reason to overthink it.

Thalamus
                        @thalamus
                        ContributorMemberModerator

The solution to me seems like a viable one. Said it over at vpf that for me the main problem is that the setup itself builds quite a lot. I would simply not have room for it. I just upgraded my plunger to Zebs’ V2 and I must say. I would love to have BorgDog do a review of it. He know Zeb’s v1 and Pinscape first hand. Personally I was really happy with my old setup, but, well it didn’t survive rough treatment over time. The new one with the 3d printed housing is something I really recommend for anyone that has limited space and don’t want to have to solder anything.

Yes – its almost like a commercial, but, once a product is this good I don’t have a problem with recommending it for free.

Dustin
                        Participant
                          @fwiler

The solution to me seems like a viable one. Said it over at vpf that for me the main problem is that the setup itself builds quite a lot. I would simply not have room for it. I just upgraded my plunger to Zebs’ V2 and I must say. I would love to have BorgDog do a review of it. He know Zeb’s v1 and Pinscape first hand. Personally I was really happy with my old setup, but, well it didn’t survive rough treatment over time. The new one with the 3d printed housing is something I really recommend for anyone that has limited space and don’t want to have to solder anything. Yes – its almost like a commercial, but, once a product is this good I don’t have a problem with recommending it for free.

Yes, Zeb’s solution is a good one.  Just a little expensive if you already have a controller.  $110 vs ~$15.  Space wise, I had plenty of room for a mouse (you can use any length stick you want so you can put the mouse way into your cab).  Or use the old strap method and you can even angle it down towards middle of cab.

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?