Pinscape controller and plunger

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Scooby
    Participant
      @scooby

Hey guys,

I have had a Virtuapin plunger kit V2 for some time. It has worked fairly well, but recently has given me issues. I’m considering going a different route for a plunger and controller board, so I am wondering if MJR’s Pinscape board and plunger are still in a build-your-own state or if I can buy his controller board and plunger that will work similar to the Virtuapin kit.

If so, can I use my existing button wiring from the Virtuapin kit or would I need to wire the buttons from scratch to the Pinscape board?

Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

MJR is still build your own. Zeb’s which is a great alternative is not.

I would be very surprised if you don’t need to re-wire for any alternative solution. And if that is scary, then Zeb’ is the way to go.

rothbauerw
          @rothbauerw
          ModeratorContributorMembervip

It’s do it yourself, but it’s really not that hard and IMHO the best plunger option. Cheapest too.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

HauntFreaks
            @hauntfreaks
            vipContributorMember

pinscape the #1 smartest way to go….  cheap, works awesome, always being developed, zero drawbacks….

32assassin
            Participant
              @32assassin

the pinscape controller is seen as a generic joystick by your PC

not my video but this is what windows finds

I don’t think you will have matching button numbers (all you would need to do is redefine your button numbers in VP and PinballX)

but the problem is that

I don’t think the wires that connect to the I/O ports will be the same. You will need to remove them from the controller and connect them to the correct joybutton I/O ports defined by the Pinscape software.

You might be able to define the same I/O ports you currently have.

and you have to decided what type of plunger sensor you want  analog (pot) or the digital option (CCC linear array)

both of this options are wired differently.

and their are a few  people that sells fully built options.  this includes the high powered board adapters for the DOF ports.

if you just want a plunger/Nudge and joybuttons. their is no need to buy a kit

all you need is the controller

pot analog plunger input

and your current wires

you can connect the wires  directly to the controller.

one example

But I would read through the Pinscape documentation to make sure they match your defined settings.

settings you define in this page

https://postimg.org/image/83aw9b5v7/

see a table you like help me find the resources so that I can finish it
              https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7qtake9whi5ium2/AAB4K4W78oMVlqSxTzKtGHTHa?dl=0

HauntFreaks
                @hauntfreaks
                vipContributorMember

as for the Virtuapin plunger… its the same board that the pinscape uses…. Virtuapin being $99    and what the board really costs $15 (so if you have a Virtuapin plunger board you can put the pinscape firmware on it)
                the proximity sensor that the Virtuapin plunger uses is just terrible…. a linear potentiometer even works better… but using an optical sensor is the best for the pinscape

rothbauerw
                  @rothbauerw

Or leave your buttons on the virtuapin and just use pinscape for the plunger.

Scooby
                  Participant
                    @scooby

Thanks for all the replies!  I don’t think I can update my virtuapin board with pinscape firmware, as I think MJR wrote this won’t work for some reason. Also, since my existing board is running hot, I may need to replace it.

It looks like I could swap out the virtuapin control board for a pinscape board and the wire harness would fit both the same.  This would save some time and the need to pull apart the cab to do so (a bonus). I would then just remap the buttons as the pinscape sees them. Would this work?

Would the pinscape plunger connect to/work with the virtuapin board? Or, would I need to then have 2 separate boards? If I would need 2, I would just wire everything to the new board.

As for an analog or digital sensor for the plunger, I don’t even know which one the virtuapin has. I have read some threads about fine tuning nudging and it sounds like using a real tilt bob inside the cab works best. So, if I start changing my board and/or plunger, maybe it’s time to go all in and set up a tilt bob. Of course, I would need to figure out where it’s best to install and how to set up the software for it.

HauntFreaks
                      @hauntfreaks
                      vipContributorMember

I think thats info about the pinscape firmware not working might be a little shady, since they are 100% the same board…

also for nudging the board uses an accelerometer, and guys use a tilt-bob for tilting

and the virtuapin plunger?…. I dont think works, and that’s because MJR hasn’t written a driver to use that sensor (out of some respect for Paul I guess??)

I’ve been using a pinscape setup for years now, for me I would never look at any other options… because of the price and reliability… win, win

HauntFreaks
                        @hauntfreaks
                        vipContributorMember

here are pics of the 2 setups I’ve done…. first is using the optical sensor…. second is a linear potentiometer <—cheapest way $5
                        both are still working perfect after about 4yrs of use….

HauntFreaks
                          @hauntfreaks
                          vipContributorMember

if i did it again… I think I would use this plunger method… I believe its the most accurate solution….
                          http://mjrnet.org/pinscape/BuildGuideV2/BuildGuide.php?custom=EN.SS.NY.PA.BY&expver=R3.201602xx&sid=aedr8300

wrd1972
                          Participant
                            @wrd1972
                            MembervipContributor

Subscribing.
                            I have Virtuapin V2 also and want a more accurate plunger. The V3 and its issues have scared me off.
                            Maybe someone with a 3D printer can make the parts for the community.

My VP Pincab /MAME Arcade Specs: MSI Micro-ATX Z390m MOBO, Core I5-9600K CPU @ 3.70GHz, 16GB NVRAM, Nvidia 1660 Super,

40" PF Sony gaming LED TV, Dual 23" monitors in the backbox , Pinscape w. expansion board, Full DOF - Full MAME arcade support

bord
                              @bord
                              MembervipContributorModerator

This is a well-timed post as my Zeb’s plunger just gave up the ghost. It lasted 2 years and worked well, but I’ve been thinking about moving to Pinscape so I can add the expansion board.

If anyone is interested in putting together a batch order for any Pinscape/Expansion/Optical Encoder Plunger parts let me know. I don’t have the time to organize it right now but we may be able to save some cash on a group buy.

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

I think I’m going to go the simple linear potentiometer route myself, going to have enough time consuming stuff doing the main and 2-chime expansion boards (not to be confused with 2 bords… just think of the tables that could get made!)

bord
                                  @bord
                                  MembervipContributorModerator

I think I’m going to go the simple linear potentiometer route myself, going to have enough time consuming stuff doing the main and 2-chime expansion boards (not to be confused with 2 bords… just think of the tables that could get made!)

Ha. Might be the only way any tables get made on my end.

rothbauerw
                                    @rothbauerw

This is a well-timed post as my Zeb’s plunger just gave up the ghost. It lasted 2 years and worked well, but I’ve been thinking about moving to Pinscape so I can add the expansion board. If anyone is interested in putting together a batch order for any Pinscape/Expansion/Optical Encoder Plunger parts let me know. I don’t have the time to organize it right now but we may be able to save some cash on a group buy.

The optical encoders are no longer available.  At least I haven’t been able to find them.  Tried to place an order a couple months back.

I’ve implemented the linear potentiometer on my mini cab and it works great.   Easy too. My cab in no where near as clean as @hauntfreaks though.  Nice work man!

DJRobX
                                      @djrobx
                                      MemberModerator

What I ended up doing is buying the Zeb plunger assembly and connecting it to my Pinscape.    His kit is a 10k potentiometer and works fine with Pinscape.

BorgDog
                                      Participant
                                        @borgdog
                                        MemberContributorvip

What I ended up doing is buying the Zeb plunger assembly and connecting it to my Pinscape. His kit is a 10k potentiometer and works fine with Pinscape.

really?  cool, I will have to try that as I already have a zebs plunger assembly installed.  are both his V1 and V2 10k potentiometers do you know?  I have the v1

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus
                                          ContributorMemberModerator

I’m guessing only V2. Broke my V1, have waited over a month now to be replaced. Was told they where not interchangeable.

LeChucksBeard
                                          Participant
                                            @lechucksbeard

I wonder why more people are not trying the optical mouse solution presented on the other forum. I’m almost there myself and looking forward to seeing how that works. Everyone’s got an old mouse lying around…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 31 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?