This guy thinks he has a great solution to updating his commercial machines…

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I was an interested “customer” so I asked a few questions..

B3C2A09A-AAEA-42B3-933E-BE307751B735

7A41EEF2-86E9-453A-95C6-8C60F8DCB028

5AECCD86-C035-4FA5-8509-A144CA21D982

6BF9DC72-18BF-4AEF-BA96-E07E3D517D06

LynnInDenver
      Participant
        @lynnindenver

I’ll see what I can do on reporting as well, but it’s unlikely to get any real traction.

Not surprised that the lawyer said “not a good idea”. Both from “not enough standing” (Toxie would probably be the one with the most standing to try for VPX, Nailbuster for Pinup) and that I’m not sure the “non commercial license” thing has been tested, and may not survive such a test depending on the lawyers, as well as the long shot it would actually be, and that it might spur an IP holder into a “clearly now too big for their britches” reaction against here (I doubt they’re anything but fully aware of what goes on), if not all three sites, since there’s a LOT of IP entanglement. Of course, this guy doing these sorts of posts might also cause a reaction of similar, if only because “eliminate the source of the material, and the leeches die off too”. Yes, I do appreciate you looking into the options, but I also appreciate that it’s not a situation that it would actually be wise to make that much (legal) noise.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
        Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
        Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

To get a lawyer involved would be a long expensive process that probably wouldn’t produce much.  If you ban a whole country from access to the best VP website and then blaming it on 1 person would not be favorable for his business.  The only question I have before taking this further with him is whether he stated in the videos that they are included.

I was misinformed on how the app works, disregard all remarks made previously.  I thought the app worked with the sites

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

Didn’t realize that the app works from a server.  Thought it somehow worked with the pinball sites.  He hasn’t responded since I dropped it on him that I wasn’t a “customer”. That shows his intentions.  If they were good he would have no problem answering to the community

LynnInDenver
            Participant
              @lynnindenver

Implications in his video description is the cabinets basically are coming fully loaded. People like him are the reason I really stopped looking at getting a flat pack pinball kit, as many of the outfits out there tend to sell fully loaded cabs alongside their kit offerings, and I wasn’t going to do that “not really supporting that” rationalization dance regarding people who are doing flat out for profit software piracy.

BTW, given that one of his videos was a review of the Harry Potter table, I’d have to say he (or his contact) are probably part of the Facebook group.

As soon as we’re done with dinner tonight, I’ll have to have my husband (who has the sole Facebook account here) see if he can get the table in case Scotty pulls it in response.

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.

LynnInDenver
              Participant
                @lynnindenver

@Tom, the biggest issue I can see is some of his customers are going to just be people who are “neat, virtual pinball, and no work”, just stuff it into a corner and treat it as a non-maintenance item. In other words, a certain percentage of his customers are not going to be anywhere near the DIY software type, and are getting a product that’s actually quite likely to fall quickly out of support, especially if he gets enough attention that the C&D Flyswatter comes in to flatten him. And, there’s always the chance if that attention comes, whoever is paying the attention may well decide that the sources of that need to go away.

N3roflint
                Participant
                  @n3roflint

randr
                  Keymaster
                    @randr
                    ModeratorMember

Is it really so hard to download a file and put in the tables folder? I mean really is it that hard?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                    So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                    for IOS and Android

Tom
                    Participant
                      @armyaviation
                      MemberContributor

Well then the answer will be Did you get a warranty on that? If not tough shit

N3roflint
                      Participant
                        @n3roflint

LynnInDenver
                        Participant
                          @lynnindenver

Is it really so hard to download a file and put in the tables folder? I mean really is it that hard?

In a word? Yes, absolutely. There are a surprising number of people who don’t want to understand what happens with the black box attached to a screen that they brought home to shop the sites.

newtopinball78
                          Participant
                            @newtopinball78

I felt it was coming that he would switch to pinup popper eventually….I usually go on youtube and search visual pinball to see what some people are doing or get ideas and I couldn’t believe it.  I’m fairly new on here and I appreciate all those who do all this development and create new tables all for free for people who take up this hobby.  I am really loving pinup popper and appreciate all of those involved in creating it.  I feel for someone to package it up and sell off as there own is just plain disgusting.  I wish you guys could take some legal action!!

randr
                            Keymaster
                              @randr
                              ModeratorMember

The retro guy has apologized and all is fine. One more guy that now understands why we do what we do and that’s a good thing.

********************************************************
                              for IOS and Android

2 users thanked author for this post.
                              osc65
                              Participant
                                @osc65

As a general question, what’s everyone’s take on the numerous Chinese-built pincabs running VP tables on (generally) PBX that are flooding markets around the world?
                                These are made in volume (500 units a month capacity is stated by individual manufacturers…and there are lots of them), rather than a single machine that is hand-built every couple of weeks for a single, private consumer in a tiny market (25-30 machines per year).

I appreciate that the Chinese machines don’t offer an updater app, and are sold “as is” (with frozen/reboot to restore drives), but wonder why these (and cabinets made by small operators in the US, UK, EU, a.s.o.) are not also a target?
                                Is it a question of English-speaking attention being drawn to the hobby – and the perception that this may draw unwanted interest from manufacturers/IP holders?
                                Is it the app that bypasses the VPinball site/author info etc. and redistributes the site’s content that is the issue here….or the pre-install of freely offered / downloadable tables, B2S files, apps, utilities, and so on that community authors provide?
                                I can see multiple aspects to the latter.
                                The artistry/work/engineering deserves recognition.
                                On the flipside, there are users who do not have the technical knowledge, carpentry skills or time to build their own rig – but who want to play pinball. Should folks who don’t have the necessary woodworking or “geek” skills be precluded from owning a pincab?
                                These consumers are not “hobbyists” like most in the community are. They want to buy a box, plug it in, and use it.
                                While some may view this with derision, the longer-term plus is a broader interest in pinball, which will hopefully lead to more real-world and virtual machines being built. Without increasing the base, the hobby will remain niche and may slowly dwindle and die.
                                Even if only 1 in 100 new “off the rack” vpin owners becomes a contributor, it is fresh blood that will keep the ball rolling (pardon the pun).

Note that I’m not condoning behaviours here, merely trying to clarify how folks view things, and further the discussion.

As a long time fan of real-world pinball machines, I’ve transitioned to virtual – and cannot express how much I appreciate the efforts of the devs, artists, and hosting sites/forums – although Popper’s gonna force me to add a 3rd monitor (thanks Nailbuster)…and I’ve developed an unhealthy obsession with obscure Spanish machines.
                                As much as I believe you should all be paid for your efforts, licensing precludes me from offering money, but I’d like to buy you all a virtual beer.
                                If we meet IRL, it’ll be the genuine article.

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

I blocked China and India too and they are still blocked.

Are the Chinese posting videos on youtube about how great their app is and how they are redistributing the content from this site and how their new upgraded frontend has voice control? If they are then point to the video and lets all report it! country is already blocked so i cant do much more about that. WHO THE HELL would buy a pinball from china anyways?!

If a person cannot visit a website and download a file and put that file in the tables folder how can they even put their pants on every day!? you want easy? go buy FX3 and call it a day but DO NOT redistribute content from this site commercially simple as that. you agree to that when you visit the downloads section first time with the popup message which i will make popup every single time you visit if i have to but i would hate having to click that every time!

I will take that virtual beer anytime :)

for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                  randr
                                  Keymaster
                                    @randr
                                    ModeratorMember

Closing this thread if you want to continue discussion go this thread

https://vpinball.com/forums/topic/an-apology-for-causing-such-a-mess/

for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
                                  Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?