Wood for cabinet building

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lukpcn
    Participant
      @lukpcn

Is 10mm thick plywood enough to be used for mini pincab (24 inc 19-inch playfield and probably 19-inch backglass screen)?

I’ve read that plywood is better for using with sound exciters for SSF than MDF…. and I need pincab to be movable because of small flat so

i want it to be as lightweight as possible… plywood is lighter than mdf for sure…

what is Your opinion ?

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

There are some drawbacks to having it too thin. All parts that you buy that are made for regular pinball machines expects standard thickness ( which I don’t remember what is ). Eg. plunger, you will have to shimmy it in order to attach it. Just saying.

randr
        Keymaster
          @randr
          ModeratorMember

19mm is standard for cabinet hardware (3/4″)

But 1/2″ for mini would be just fine

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
          So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
          for IOS and Android

BorgDog
          Participant
            @borgdog
            MemberContributorvip

There are some drawbacks to having it too thin. All parts that you buy that are made for regular pinball machines expects standard thickness ( which I don’t remember what is ). Eg. plunger, you will have to shimmy it in order to attach it. Just saying.

19mm is standard for cabinet hardware (3/4″)

But 1/2″ for mini would be just fine

you can always add a 1/4″ (6mm) spacer to the inside where buttons mount if you need to fill it out.  First thing that popped into my head on this was building it with dovetail corners and staining it to show off the workmanship.. I don’t know why I think like this  :wacko:

lukpcn
            Participant
              @lukpcn

dovetail corners

what are those ?

Never mind, googled it. :yes:   It would be good but probably would also be more pricey – but worth to check how more costly doing the cnc

heavyfrag
              Participant
                @heavyfrag

My bar top and mini pincade are made with cabinet grade 1/4 plywood and 1 1/2 framing. This build material keeps the cab’s nice and light to be portable. I had to reinforce stress areas ( such as flipper buttons and joystick) with a second layer of 1/4 plywood or 1/8 lexon – plexiglass where needed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?