Don't compare authors work please.

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Dark
      @dark
      vipMemberContributor

” The point of this thread was just to bring a bit of awareness to the situation, I just wanted people to use some consideration when posting comments/compliments. As I said previously, I think it’s really more of an issue over at VPF.” Totally agree Dark. I have yet to have someone here tell me one of my tables was unplayable, worst ever and should be sent straight to the recycle bin. :wacko: Yes that really happened at VPF with the very first table I ever released…Dr. Dude. I mean I know I was new to this, but Damn! Guess the dude was off his meds or something.

I vaguely remember that, if I recall correctly I’m pretty sure I gave that guy shit for that too…lol.

I think he ended up seeing the err in his ways and actually apologised which was nice, but yeah a bit of consideration can go a long way.

3dcreation

Jesperpark
      Participant
        @jesperpark

Unplayable now that is the word that raises my blood pressure.  I find when people post their negative crap that just grinds my gears, all the table authors work to do their best to provide a FREE game to all of us.  Now if there is an issue there is an issue but be respectful about how how approach people.

As for the Dark’s first post I don’t disagree with what is saying, and maybe I have made that comment a time or 2 but not usually.  My problem is how do I convey to the appreciation to people who make tables or anything related to this hobby.  A simple Thank-you just sounds hallow, so sometimes I want to post something like top 10 table or raising the bar.  But it was never my intention to offend any other people by doing so, I would guess the same goes for most people.

Just want to say I appreciate what everyone contributes big or small.

Edit:  Since I’m on my soapbox already, another thing that really grinds my gears.  When a table has 1 or 200 or 700 downloads, and you only see a few comments, some likes, and some thanks registered.  RandR has given us an easy way out by clicking the “Thanks” button, or a “Like button”  Click one please!!!  Don’t be just a taker at least have the common courtesy to say thanks on one way or another.  Of course the majority of people who will actually read this are the ones that say thanks :wacko:

2 users thanked author for this post.
        TNT2
        Participant
          @tnt2

Wow. I didn’t know once you upload something to VPF it becomes their property.

Yikes.

CarnyPriest
          Participant
            @carnypriest

Good thing no one here is personally offended by users’ positive comments about somebody else’s work. Not a big issue, I’d say.

no-more-stroking-bad-human-i-dont-think-so-human-13267270

VPF is not my favorite place. I don’t post there much anymore, but it is not like it’s a bad environment. I perceive people are being generally respectful.

Daryl
            Participant
              @allknowing2012

Wow. I didn’t know once you upload something to VPF it becomes their property. Yikes.

That is simply not true… And has been said so by the admin. VPF owns the rights to the forum/site formats and such .. the authors own the contents..

Dark
                @dark
                vipMemberContributor

Wow. I didn’t know once you upload something to VPF it becomes their property. Yikes.

That is simply not true… And has been said so by the admin. VPF owns the rights to the forum/site formats and such .. the authors own the contents..

He took what I said some what out of context, I said once you upload something to VPF you cannot remove it or delete it.  I said “essentially becomes the property of vpf”.  I didn’t mean that it becomes the literal property of VPF but rather you don’t have full control of it, you hand that over.

Fact: once you upload something to VPF you cannot delete it.

3dcreation

TNT2
                Participant
                  @tnt2

Oh great. I make a mistake and the board jumps all over me.  :unsure:

:yes:

rothbauerw
                    @rothbauerw
                    ModeratorContributorMembervip

This topic is a 10/10, really not many other topics can even compare to this masterpiece.

The bar has really been raised for other members.  They’ll need to step up their game to top this topic and make this hobby worth participating in.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

TNT2
                    Participant
                      @tnt2

I think one of the highest compliments I can give VPX authors is that it is making me want to buy a real table. I thought I had outgrown that desire so to speak.

xenonph
                      Participant
                        @xenonph
                        MemberContributor

I would have never started modding these tables if I was worried about being compared to other Authors.

I know I am a beginner. I also know that I may never be as good as all the great Authors in this Community.

But I am learning something new everyday with these tables and editting programs, and I am only going to get better at this.

I just figured out how to make transparent background a month ago!!

I have used the Paint program built into Windows for almost all my pic editting.

What takes Photoshop experts 2 seconds to make transparent, can take hours for me to fill in pixel by pixel depending how big pic is.

(I now have learned how to use GIMP to add transparent alpha channel to pics.)

Now when I look at those old VP9 NFL mods I made, I can’t believe I thought they looked great!! I mean they really look bad to me now. I am  embarassed by how bad they look. But I will never stop trying to learn more and make these mods better.

And a simple thank you from just one person, just gives me even more motivation to learn and make these as best as I can.

I know Sliderpoint could have made these VPX NFL Mods himself, or let an Author with more experience with graphic editting than me work on these, so I am very thankful to him for the opportunity he gave me, to do my part for this Pinball Community, and for all the help I have received from others.

I will never stop trying to learn as much as I can to make these tables the best I can, so that maybe one day, they will be accepted and hold up to the standards set by the “Great Authors”  and the Pinball Community.

Keep on Pinballin’

STAT
                        Participant
                          @stefanaustria
                          MemberContributor

If you had ask me in 2014, before i builded my Cab, do i visit this Place (and yes, other Pages too) every Day … i would have said: “of course not every Day”
                          But now, IPDB is my Startpage (yes, i hate all the other Searchpages) and the next Click is this … so that is the Quality of every Guys and the Works here :good:

Thalamus
                            @thalamus
                            ContributorMemberModerator

Huh. How am I going to say this without offending anyone ?

Well, here it goes. I absolutely understand and agree to almost everything your saying Dark. However. I really want to commend great work with bold letters. There has been quite a lot of releases lately that has blown my hat off. I feel that I’ve once maybe put my foot over the line and said something that I maybe shouldn’t about a table where I didn’t like the physics from. But, I don’t and never will apologize for it. However, what I will do is say that this guy is probably one of the most important members of our community in that he releases a lot of tables that those tables are getting tweaked and explored more than any other work because very much of it is correct, but needs tweaks, so, it is a perfect starting point for guys like me. I mean, if every table was perfect, what is there to explore ?

What I’m getting at is that this is a community where a very few has the ability to do a top notch release on their own. It requires a lot of skill in many areas, and I seriously doubt that anyone will be able to a perfect release on their own without any help from others.

Sorry, had a few drink but, this post I felt I just had to get of my chest.

Dark
                              @dark
                              vipMemberContributor

@Thalamus

I think you’re missing my point, I’m not talking about offering constructive criticism,  I think it’s fine to critique people’s work provided you do it in a respectful manner and actually offer possible solutions and input as opposed to just pointing out flaws.

My point was don’t compare authors work, for reasons I’ve already covered earlier in the thread.

3dcreation

Viewing 13 posts - 21 through 33 (of 33 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?