Confusing issue with (SOME) SAM tables

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Denzel
    Participant
      @zwylde

I am kind of stuck and am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?.
      I’m running Windows XP on my cab and am using the latest builds of Physmod and VPX, with the latest sam.vbs etc.

I have an odd problem where certain SAM tables will start, and some won’t, however it’s not a ROM issue.

I will explain…. (I am using the same ROMS for tables where I am testing both Physmod and VPX tables, and within the script for the tables the same ROM name is specified – also I have the B2S backglass working).

Note: Where I am saying “not working” I am getting the error “machine terminated before initialised, check the rom path or file!”

Tron (Physmod): Not working
      Tron VPX: Works
      Metallica Pro (Physmod): Working
      Metallica Pro VPX: Not working
      The Walking Dead (Physmod): Working
      Star Trek pro (Physmod): Not Working
      Star Trek pro VPX: Not working
      Indiana Jones (Physmod): Working
      Transformers (Physmod): Working
      Spiderman VPX : Working

It just doesn’t make sense to me; it’s not a ROM issue, as the ROMS test fine in pinMame and the same ROMS work o.k in the other version of VP (star Trek being the exception, but i will come to that).

This suggests that there is something in the Table script which is preventing the tables from running?

Another interesting thing, is that ALL of the above tables work on my other pc (not installed in a cab – including both versions of Star Trek; what an amazing looking table by the way..), which is running Windows 7 – every table works with the same ROMS and the same B2S settings etc in the table scripts.

It can’t be that my Pinmame is out of date, as the latest Physmod tables (Metallica and TWD) work fine.

The only thing I can think of is that I am missing some files, or some of the .DLL files aren’t registered correctly (my cab doesn’t have internet access), however how could this be so if some tables work? ; do some tables not work with Windows XP or something?; could it be that my Direct X is out of date? (do some tables such as Star Trek and VPX Metallica require a certain version of Direct X? ; Pinball FX runs fine on my cab, as does DX9 Pinball arcacade when i tested it).

Any help would be appreciated, as I’d love to be able to run Physmod Tron and star Trek on my cab (the CPU is a little too slow for the VPX versions – not sure if it’s worth trying to install a better GPU?; FPS is more about clock speed right?).

Many thanks in advance. It could be useful to figure this out, as maybe I’m not the only one?.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

pick one table I will upload to dropbox all needed files for it and you try them as is and see if it runs. let me know which table I will provide a link to table,rom and backglass for you to try

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Denzel
        Participant
          @zwylde

Hi randr,

Thanks for replying to my post.

Shall we Try Tron physmod?.

As per my post, this is an interesting one, as the VP10 version runs on my cab (frame great isn’t very playable, but it runs using the same ROM file and Backglass as I’ve tried with the Physmod version I’ve tried).

I think the rom related error must be a bit of a red herring, as Pinmame can clearly run the ROM file.

Thanks again.

Daryl
          Participant
            @allknowing2012

32 bit memory maxed out issues ? – will they run without the backglass – less memory. This usually shows up as a rom error.

Denzel
            Participant
              @zwylde

Hi Daryl,

i did think along those lines before, however the fact that the VPX version of Tron for example works (which of course requires a higher amount of memory) kind of made me rule that out as an issue.

Cheers

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

@denzel try these files do not rename or change anything

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l5mc918j4wi6x1z/AAChnarAchOsUKVOWn9G5T6ha?dl=0

for IOS and Android

Denzel
                Participant
                  @zwylde

Thanks randr; I will download and try out tonight and report back with my findings.
                  Thanks again.

Wolfgang
                  Participant
                    @mrwolfgang

@denzel try these files do not rename or change anything

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l5mc918j4wi6x1z/AAChnarAchOsUKVOWn9G5T6ha?dl=0

Hi randr, so I tried the files which you upload and I’m still getting the same error I’m afraid.
                    As before, I get the error, then the table and backglass load but are lifeless as pinmame hasn’t loaded :-(

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

Then could be your OS. 32bit is just not good for anything and some tables have large res graphics. try reducing detail slider in video preferences and reducing texture dimension to 1024 in preferences also. if you have a 1gb video card that can be reason also

for IOS and Android

Wolfgang
                      Participant
                        @mrwolfgang

Yeah could be my OS as you say. Just doesn’t make sense though (same with if it’s a memory issue), as the VPX versions loads fine.
                        Oh well, I’m still grateful for the tables I am able to play on my cab.

I might need to do an overhaul on my cab in the future anyway, as my Playfield screen has started acting odd (brightness/contrast fading then coming back to normal sometimes), which would include installing a win7 machine.

Daryl
                        Participant
                          @allknowing2012

Had the same issues with AC/DC .. true test for us was to play without b2s enabled – it would run. Also older, smaller roms, can make a difference as well. Could never track down the exact cause for the memory glut – or why it was tied to b2s. If you have a legit XP version – can you get the free upgrade to Windows 10?

senseless
                          Participant
                            @senseless

I seem to have similar issues. The majority of tables work just fine but two in particular are giving me a headache.

– Star Trek VPX

– The Walking Dead VPX

It does not seem Rom related as for instance The Walking Dead Physmod works without any problems. The Star Trek sometimes runs but most of the times a get the rom error…

I run Windows 10 with an 750 ti gfx card, VpinMAME 2.7. Any tips or hints to look for?

freneticamnesic
                              @freneticamnesic
                              vipModeratorMember

This is odd. The only thing that comes to my mind that might cause this is installing VP9/VPX/PM5 in different directories, since VPinMAME wants to know the correct directory and you can’t really set two installation dirs. If that is not the case here, and still it works in VP9 but not VPX, then uhhhhhhhh PEBKAC? just kidding, but I have no more ideas!

Punch it!

randr
                              Keymaster
                                @randr
                                ModeratorMember

If rom is correct then it usually is video memory (less then 2gb)related or non 64bit os related from what ive seen. reduce detail of table and try it or upgrade os/video card.

********************************************************
                                for IOS and Android

freneticamnesic
                                  @freneticamnesic
                                  vipModeratorMember

Punch it!

senseless
                                  Participant
                                    @senseless

Thanks guys for thinking with me. It’s not the gfx card, the 750 ti is not a low end card and has 2 Gb of memory. Tried lowering the video setting but no luck. I’ve got all VP installs in the same directory and really only these two are giving me problems. Other stern tables or any non stern table is just playing without any issues.

Strange thing is testing the VpinMame via the setup/test option also gives mixed results on the Star Trek and TWD rom. Sometimes the rom starts but most of the times it results in vPinMame not responding. My gut feeling tells me it has something to do with the vpinmame.dll/bass.dll combination but have no substantiation yet.

I will keep on testing and hopefully I find a solution/dll combination that works.

freneticamnesic
                                      @freneticamnesic
                                      vipModeratorMember

I’ve seen a lot of problems with TWD, Metallica, and ACDC roms crashing a lot. It always works the first time but after that it’s a crapshoot. These are (coincidentally???) the 3 biggest roms available… randr’s suggestion isn’t the graphics settings entirely, but in the visual pinball video preferences, drop the max tex size to 1024 or 2048 and see if that improves it for you

Star trek on the other hand has always been great for me, so maybe that theory is bunk.

Punch it!

senseless
                                      Participant
                                        @senseless

Tried about everything today. Reinstalled VPX, VpinMAME, lower tex size to bare minimum but still no luck. This is a puzzle that it going to haunt me ;).

Still the same, no luck with either Star Trek or TWD. Frustrating part is that I really like both and wanted to test the beta to the max. For now I will accept the current issue and hopefully come an epiphany  B-).

senseless
                                        Participant
                                          @senseless

I can add ACDC to the list. This one also gives the same @%&^#&$^# errors as Star Trek and TWD. New is this one is a Physmod table and not a VPX table.

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

it must be a blocked dll or something

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?