Cue (Stern 1982)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

https://vpinball.com/?post_type=cmdm_page&p=205614

This was one of Sterns last ditch efforts to save Stern pinball in the mid 1980’s.  Designed by Harry Williams and Brian Poklacki, this game never made it into production and only 6 prototypes were made.  I talked to Brian Poklacki and he said that he didn’t have any resources and a manual was never made for this table.  Luckily with the help of Whridlsoncestood from Pinside who owns one of the few still remaining and dumped the rom years ago, I was able to get enough resources to bring this table to life.

Since there were no manuals and no way to identify switches and light numbers, i basically made 100 switches and 100 lights on the table and watched how they interacted with each other to figure out how the table actually works.   This has been a huge pain in my butt but has also been fun trying to decode all of this.  I also was able to improve my Blender and Inkscape skills by redrawing the apron and decorative parts of the PF and made the lighting with blender.  With the help of @32assassin who got the basic table functions and script working, the table came to life over the last year.  He was instrumental in making the table play properly and for helping to figure out the magnet in the middle.  David, @scottt, Scotty VH came up with a really nice playfield redraw and the bumper cap images.  He also did a beautiful redraw of the backglass image and along with help from @wildman, we figured out the coding to make that work.  @Bord supplied all the dead bumper primitives, bumper cap and skirt images, play testimg, scripting and motivation for me to get this thing done after more than a year. @kiella aka Sixtoe for helping out with the plastic image.  This has also been very frustrating due to the detailed design and lack of resources and Sixtoe jumped in and made a really nice design that is really nice.  @Arngrim, thanks for getting the DOF in for this table on short notice, please dont forget to update your config tool.  If i have missed anyone please let me know, it has been a long journey to get this thing working.

Basic concept, launch the ball and hit the dead bumpers in order to score points.  Nudging will be crucial in keeping the ball out of the center outhole.  The two wire rollovers at the top and the center magnet button advance the bumpers when hit.   Disclaimer****** the 4 red insert lights in the top middle may not be accurate.  I have worked very hard trying to figure out the lights and those are the last ones that i am iffy about.  I have seen 2 versions of the playfield and it is a prototype so it is what it is.  If anyone wants to work on that, the lights are all in the script and are labeled thoroughly.

Thanks again to:

@32assassin

@Bord

@scottt aka Scotty VH

@wildman

@arngrim

@kiella aka Sixtoe

Total of 34 users thanked author for this post. Here are last 20 listed.
      Tom
      Participant
        @armyaviation
        MemberContributor

@thalamus, i wasnt sure if over the last year you helped out on this table but its a very good possibility, thankyou for all of your help over the years and for your friendship.  @Randr, thankyou too for all you do for us here and for your help over the years to get to where i am now.

If someone wants to do further testing on the 4 red inserts, please have at it.  I can email videos of gameplay, there is also one on google under Cue Stern Pinball.

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

Tom! Great work. Fun to watch this come together and just as fun to finally get to play. Maybe not a complex rule set but very fun to do some nudging and play something really unique.

Thank you.

Tom
          Participant
            @armyaviation
            MemberContributor

instuction card for Popper attached

Attachments:
            1 user thanked author for this post.
            Thalamus
              @thalamus
              ContributorMemberModerator

Sweet. Downloading now. I don’t expect this to become my favorite table. However, I really appreciate the effort behind the build. Started smiling as I read the table desc. I do remember doing that debugging, not on 100 lights and switches though. Applaud you for sticking with it and thank you so much for creating this. I really love to have a few oddities in the collection too and this one of course is perfect in that regard. :rose: :heart:

Arngrim
              Participant
                @arngrim
                DOF MinisterMember

great story about the table getting life in vpx @Tom, we don’t always imagine the efforts, the knowledge and skill sharing, kudos to the team involved, i will enjoy it even more now that i know the story of the build :)

randr
                Keymaster
                  @randr
                  ModeratorMember

Tom you have some very good table choices! I truly love how you take the odd tables and bring them to vp. Someday I will get some time to try this and your last flipperless one :) thanks for sharing

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                  for IOS and Android

nanuk
                  Participant
                    @nanuk

another very rare table to add to my collection im sure ill enjoy this one a lot thank you

Goldchicco
                    Participant
                      @goldchicco

Thank you to the entire team!!!!!!

Rajo Joey
                      Participant
                        @joey2001

Thanks for the table.

Here are my wheels for this table. One with the original backglass and some alternative ones.

As always you find my wheels in my MEGA-account or in the PinUp Popper media-database in better quality:
                        https://mega.nz/#F!IFsxBbCD!04cfuNEJi5hwuYxL6CvQIg

Cue (Stern 1982)Cue (Stern 1982) Alt 1Cue (Stern 1982) Alt 2Cue (Stern 1982) Logo

5 users thanked author for this post.
                        Bendo
                        Participant
                          @bendo

Thank you so much for the work you put in to make and share an old table like this !!!

flstclasic
                          Participant
                            @flstclasic

Been following and waiting patiently for this one. Great job Tom!

JR
                            Participant
                              @jfr1

Wow, this came together perfectly.  Fun ride following along.  Thanks Tom and team!!  Really appreciate these curious tables from the past and sounds like this required extra effort to pull off.  And what a neat story about Harry Williams designing tables for Stern.  And this was his last design I believe?

Thanks again!

Jopp
                              Participant
                                @joppnl

Amazing that with all of the teams effort we can now play such a rare table!

Thanks! :good: :good: :good:

My favorite pinball machine?
                                Where I can put my name on as Grand Champion....

Friffy1
                                Participant
                                  @friffy1

I’d love to give this a go, but I’m finding the ROM impossible to find.  Any ideas?

– Tom

outhere
                                    @outhere
                                    MemberContributorvipModerator

I’d love to give this a go, but I’m finding the ROM impossible to find. Any ideas?
                                    Tom

@friffy1

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5583-cue-prototype/

drumdude777
                                    Participant
                                      @drumdude777

Agreed with the others — we the recipients of the developers’ hard work don’t have much of an idea of how much hard work and time goes in to these. I also enjoyed the story of its creating. The table is very unique and I look forward to playing it. I watched a youtube video of some gameplay so it kind of gave me another itch to play it. To all the developers, I thank you very much for making this hobby amazing.

Tom
                                      Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @armyaviation
                                        MemberContributor

No shit, I bet I watched that YouTube video 50-75 times.   Probably more actually.  I just recently got 2 others and had most of the table done by then

Friffy1
                                        Participant
                                          @friffy1

Very kind of you.  Silly of me not to search VPU specifically!

Thalamus
                                            @thalamus
                                            ContributorMemberModerator

Two thoughts kept coming back to me as I played this. The first one. We are very lucky that Roger Sharp had better alternatives to pick from, showing his skill for the committee in New York. The second one. It is actually more fun to play than I expected. Annoyed, not being able to get them all to see what happens then. And, I don’t want anyone to tell me. I’m some day going to find that out without cheating. Thanks again Tom. :good:

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 36 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?