Firepower (Williams 1981) WIP

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

About a dozen kicks and all worked as expected so far. Cheers for the fix.

I notice that the credit light now works as it should too. :)

One thing I’ll mention (and it’s nothing wrong with the table at all) is the scaling used for cabinets.  There is a recent thread on one of the forums and it recommends that for best image quality, the scaling should be kept at 1 or as close to 1 as possible. The technique being…

1: Set both X-Scale & Y scale at 1.
      2: Use Z Offset to move the camera closer (effectively increasing the playfield size – Some tables are using as low as -800) until the table fits the X axis.
      3: Adjust Field Of View.
      4: Re-adjust Z Offset as needed.
      5: Re-adjust Y Scale for final fit.
      6: Tinker with 3, 4 & 5 until you’re happy as!

I haven’t made final adjustments to mine yet, but this is getting close for the full screen setup https://www.dropbox.com/s/oltgabxxa47mfv8/Firepowerv1.0.jpg (i’ve not decided if I should run this table near “full screen” or “inclined” just yet)

Also, forgive me if it’s a bit dark here on the web, as I run my tables in night mode in a dark arcade room. On the cab monitor it looks awesome! ;)

Anyway… here are my settings that represent the image linked above: 4  25  53  270  1  1.18  1.42  44  -23  -271

Thanks again for your work on this, it’s turning out to be an awesome addition to the cab. :)

1 user thanked author for this post.
      RustyCardores
        @rustycardores
        MemberModerator

I edited the above in Tapatalk while mobile, I hope it didn’t make a mess of it.

I had a brain fade when I typed the original and said zero instead of one for the Scale Setting. I was thinking about the need for a “zero amount of scaling” which is of course a scale of 1 in the settings.

Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rajo Joey
        Participant
          @joey2001

Thanks for the table, but with the version 1.0.3 I ‘ve got a big lag at the flipper-buttons. I use VPX 10.2.

With the verions 1.01 and 1.02 the lag was not so extreme. With the actual version it is unplayable.

I haven’t the fastest machine, but till now all VPX tables run smoothly and without lags.

How can the problembe solved? Thanks for any help. :bye:

walamab
          Participant
            @walamab
            MemberContributor

Thanks for the table, but with the version 1.0.3 I ‘ve got a big lag at the flipper-buttons. I use VPX 10.2.

With the verions 1.01 and 1.02 the lag was not so extreme. With the actual version it is unplayable.

I haven’t the fastest machine, but till now all VPX tables run smoothly and without lags.

All of my development and testing has been with VP 10.1.0. I’ll go ahead and download 10.2 to see if I see the same lag.

The change I made to the flipper function essentially enables and disables them based on VPinMame solenoid callbacks. This way when the game is over the flippers no longer function. It allows the rom to control the table rather than my own logic. This is the code that implements this functionality

‘———————————————————————–
            ‘ Flipper Solenoid Handlers
            sub SolRFlipper(enabled)
            if enabled Then
            RightFlipper.RotateToEnd
            PlaySound “FPFlipperUp”, 0, .67, 0.05, 0.05
            Else
            RightFlipper.RotateToStart
            PlaySound “FPFlipperDown”, 0, 1, -0.05, 0.05
            end If
            end Sub

sub SolLFlipper(enabled)
            if enabled Then
            LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd
            PlaySound “FPFlipperUp”, 0, .67, -0.05, 0.05
            Else
            LeftFlipper.RotateToStart
            end If
            end Sub
            ‘—————————————————————

I will look at using another method to determine the last ball has hit the drain and perhaps just use an if statement in the keydown/up subroutine.

Others may have advice on the best way to implement this, so I’ll ask around the forum to what they say.

Stay tuned…I’ll get it figured out for you.

Thanks!

Walamab
            Table Developer Wannabe and general arcade geek!

walamab
            Participant
              @walamab
              MemberContributor

All of my development and testing has been with VP 10.1.0. I’ll go ahead and download 10.2 to see if I see the same lag.

The change I made to the flipper function essentially enables and disables them based on VPinMame solenoid callbacks. This way when the game is over the flippers no longer function. It allows the rom to control the table rather than my own logic. This is the code that implements this functionality

‘———————————————————————–
              ‘ Flipper Solenoid Handlers
              sub SolRFlipper(enabled)
              if enabled Then
              RightFlipper.RotateToEnd
              PlaySound “FPFlipperUp”, 0, .67, 0.05, 0.05
              Else
              RightFlipper.RotateToStart
              end If
              end Sub

sub SolLFlipper(enabled)
              if enabled Then
              LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd
              PlaySound “FPFlipperUp”, 0, .67, -0.05, 0.05
              Else
              LeftFlipper.RotateToStart
              end If
              end Sub
              ‘—————————————————————

I will look at using another method to determine the last ball has hit the drain and perhaps just use an if statement in the keydown/up subroutine.

Others may have advice on the best way to implement this, so I’ll ask around the forum to what they say.

Stay tuned…I’ll get it figured out for you.

Thanks!

So, I’ve looked through things and there isn’t anything odd in the code. I compared to other VPX tables and they implement the flippers in essentially the same way. My system is fairly fast so I do not see any lag so it will be difficult for me to test. the attached version places the “Playsound” calls before the flipper movement command. This is the only difference I could find in other VPX tables. If this doesn’t fix it, I’ll have to defer the question to those with more advanced skills than mine.

Please let me know if you get a different result with the attached version.

Walamab

Ben Logan2
              Participant
                @benlogan2

The flipper lag is an easy fix: Just select the flippers and set coil ramp up at zero. They’ll be nice and snappy on the initial flip. To get the same ability to flick pass as with high coil ramp up, try setting EOS torque to 55 or so and the value in the very last field for flipper settings  (can’t remember the name offhand) to something like 20.

RustyCardores
                  @rustycardores
                  MemberModerator

I just tested it in 10.2 for you on my cab and it plays the same as in 10.1.  I’m finding no real flipper lag at all, in fact I normally do the coil ramp up thing, but on this table I haven’t felt the need.

That said, flipper lag is a funny thing and can be heavily system dependent…. some people will have no trouble at all, while others will pull their hair out trying to get the very same table to play.  There are plenty of threads dealing with the issue on the other forums and it’s just a matter of going through the motions until the answer is found for any particular machine.

For me, some of the first things I try are disabling the B2S, increasing Skipped Frames in the backglass or increasing the lamptimer value (in the script) to 80 or sometimes even as high 200.

Ben Logan2
                  Participant
                    @benlogan2

The latest update is a big improvement! Nice new apron, great lighting. This one is shaping up really well. Thanks!

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

wow yes love seeing a table come to this level as we get to play each version. thank you!

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                      for IOS and Android

walamab
                      Participant
                        @walamab
                        MemberContributor

The flipper lag is an easy fix: Just select the flippers and set coil ramp up at zero. They’ll be nice and snappy on the initial flip. To get the same ability to flick pass as with high coil ramp up, try setting EOS torque to 55 or so and the value in the very last field for flipper settings (can’t remember the name offhand) to something like 20.

I knew someone would know how to solve this. Thanks for the info. I’ll make the update and re-post this evening

Walamab

walamab
                        Participant
                          @walamab
                          MemberContributor

This version sets the coil ramp up to zero. Frankly the level of detail this may add is beyond my ability to detect. But if it makes the table playable for more people it seems like a change I should incorporate.

So here it is :).

Walamab

Attachments:
                          Rajo Joey
                          Participant
                            @joey2001

With the latest version I don’t have this lag. :yahoo:

I will now test with different options. Maybe I find, what’s the reason for the lag. :bye:

Scotty VH
                              @scottt
                              ModeratorMember

I have severe graphics performance problems and stuttering everytime I update the version.  However, I noted that my default graphics settings are overridden in the table properties.  When looking at the table properties, the User Customizations force 4x antialiasing to on, FXAA to fast, and Update in-game AO to On.  By changing all of these settings back to Default, the table plays perfectly smoothly.

CarnyPriest
                              Participant
                                @carnypriest

Thanks for the tip. Fixed my issues with this table and with Verne’s World.

walamab
                                Participant
                                  @walamab
                                  MemberContributor

I have severe graphics performance problems and stuttering everytime I update the version. However, I noted that my default graphics settings are overridden in the table properties. When looking at the table properties, the User Customizations force 4x antialiasing to on, FXAA to fast, and Update in-game AO to On. By changing all of these settings back to Default, the table plays perfectly smoothly.

Sorry for that. My system is “robust” in the graphics department so I didn’t think about those settings causing other trouble.

Thanks for posting

Walamab

walamab
                                  Participant
                                    @walamab
                                    MemberContributor

No stars yet??? Surely someone thinks its good… :scratch:

I suppose it is bad form to troll for ratings. Oh well…

Walamab

ICPjuggla
                                      @icpjuggla
                                      MembervipModerator

Hey man keep your head up. You got 11+ likes, over 300 downloads already and 7 thx..

Good job on the build keep it up. Thank you for this.

randr
                                      Keymaster
                                        @randr
                                        ModeratorMember

I don’t think people see stars. I should make them larger or move them

********************************************************
                                        Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                        for IOS and Android

********************************************************

RustyCardores
                                          @rustycardores
                                          MemberModerator

I don’t think people see stars. I should make them larger or move them

I do, but only when I hit my head.

Seriously though… we have stars here??

Ben Logan2
                                          Participant
                                            @benlogan2

Hey Walamab,

Randr is right — I always forget about the stars at the top. I can tell you this: I have about ten hours worth of fun playing your table so far. Totally love it. You did a great job, and I love that you keep polishing this excellent piece of work.

Thanks so much!

:)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 70 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?