First Annual Virtual Pinball Awards

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    kenswift
    Participant
      @kenswift

(Content is deleted)

3 users thanked author for this post.
      bord
        @bord
        MembervipContributorModerator

No roth for best tutorials? Brutal.

kenswift
        Participant
          @kenswift

Write it in. That’s why that option is there. This is preliminary voting and if people write in who they want, they will make the final nominations, especially in the tutorial category.

Schreibi34
          Participant
            @schreibi34

No Bord tables? Brutal ;-)

JR
            Participant
              @jfr1

Hmmm

kenswift
              Participant
                @kenswift

Wow nothing but criticism for this initiative so far…when anyone can write in and it’s encouraged….brutal

Schreibi34
                Participant
                  @schreibi34

Wow! That didn’t take long!

You saw the the smiley?

kenswift
                  Participant
                    @kenswift

Sorry. This has been a bear to put together and I’m financing it myself but it’s worth it.  Trust me next year, people will want to sponsor . This will be done right and like I said, all the big names have agreed to be involved. Anyone can write in and I’ll add when I see multiple for someone now, and if they make the final noms will be up to the voters.

bord
                      @bord
                      MembervipContributorModerator

I wouldn’t take it too personally. It’s a fun idea but could also be divisive as smaller tribes within the community are bound to feel defensive when they don’t feel represented to the magnitude that they view themselves. That will always happen in popularity contests regardless of the hobby.

At the end of the day there are lots of good games on the list and a lot of good games that won’t make the list. It’s a fun community initiative but giving the business to overlooked favorites doesn’t feel out of bounds or particularly derisive, at least as far as it has transpired this far. My favorite films never win Oscars, either.

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      kenswift
                      Participant
                        @kenswift

I wouldn’t take it too personally. It’s a fun idea but could also be divisive as smaller tribes within the community are bound to feel defensive when they don’t feel represented to the magnitude that they view themselves. That will always happen in popularity contests regardless of the hobby.

At the end of the day there are lots of good games on the list and a lot of good games that won’t make the list. It’s a fun community initiative but giving the business to overlooked favorites doesn’t feel out of bounds or particularly derisive, at least as far as it has transpired this far. My favorite films never win Oscars, either.

Well I am trying to spread the word to all different areas of the web because everyone does seem to be in their silos. Write ins are encouraged and I can’t stress it enough and the fact that everyone does vote really give anyone a shot. As a content creator myself, the amount of time we sacrifice should be recognized and I’m hoping even a nomination should provide some.

Im starting small, 10 Categories for bow but it will grow, and more people will be recognized but only if the community supports this and the creators. It’s hard to get them to hit a thanks button so I’m not sure where this goes but I feel strongly it’s needed and deserved. Thanks for what you do.

TerryRed
                          @terryred
                          MemberContributorModerator

Yes… the idea is to have everyone chime in to who they want for “pre” nominations, etc.

Ken has to start “somewhere”. The community can chime in to add their favorites.

So if anyone feels anything or anyone is not represented… then spread the word and chime in. That’s the whole point of posting this here.

I REALLY hope everyone does exactly that… so the nominations can be updated by the community… and please everyone LEAVE it at that.

Please guys don’t chime in only to leave disrespectful toxic comments. That’s not exactly inspiring anyone to put in all the worked required to make this happen. Not everyone in the hobby knows everyone, or who does what,etc. So be helpful guys. Don’t be a dick.

Also… this is for creations made and released in “2020”… not for the last 5 years,etc.

JR
                          Participant
                            @jfr1

Didn’t mean to sound negative.  Just curious.   Checked out the lists and added some suggestions.  Wiggler table.  Loserman.  Wildman.  Maybe a ‘lifetime contributor’ award should be added?  And perhaps a ‘new contributor’ list would be cool.   Or Best Update? – Star Trek is amazing.

Good luck!  I’ll be following along.

kenswift
                            Participant
                              @kenswift

Didn’t mean to sound negative. Just curious. Checked out the lists and added some suggestions. Wiggler table. Loserman. Wildman. Maybe a ‘lifetime contributor’ award should be added? And perhaps a ‘new contributor’ list would be cool. Or Best Update? – Star Trek is amazing.

Good luck! I’ll be following along.

Wiggler I added as I had multiple suggestions. As far as other categories, great ideas but I did have to start small and manageable due to lack of resources because this is the first year. It will definitely grow if the community supports it and votes.
                              thanks

robertms
                              Participant
                                @mophead

@kenswift so this is a pretty neat idea and an ambitious project, however we don’t want to diminish anyone’s accomplishments by inadvertently omitting them from the list. I get the “write in” field idea but if my name was wrd1972, Knorr, Herweh, Schreibi34, cyberpez, HiRez, or Blacksad I’d feel unappreciated and a bit discouraged right about now. I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting but that’s not the point, I’m hoping in the future we can compile a more complete list before opening it to vote. Oh, and Bord spent about a gazzilion hours making blender tutorial videos this year so please don’t forget to include his name in the tutorials section as well. It’s a sensitive subject matter and hopefully it is not too late to expand your lists. After all, the recognition of being nominated for an Oscar is perhaps even more important than winning the Oscar itself.

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

@kenswift so this is a pretty neat idea and an ambitious project, however we don’t want to diminish anyone’s accomplishments by inadvertently omitting them from the list. I get the “write in” field idea but if my name was wrd1972, Knorr, Herweh, Schreibi34, cyberpez, HiRez, or Blacksad I’d feel unappreciated and a bit discouraged right about now. I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting but that’s not the point, I’m hoping in the future we can compile a more complete list before opening it to vote. Oh, and Bord spent about a gazzilion hours making blender tutorial videos this year so please don’t forget to include his name in the tutorials section as well. It’s a sensitive subject matter and hopefully it is not too late to expand your lists. After all, the recognition of being nominated for an Oscar is perhaps even more important than winning the Oscar itself.

You guys really need to pay attention.

There is no “VOTE” here yet. It’s a “pre-nomination”. As in he’s looking for what / who to add.

This is an open list to “start” with. It’s not complete by any means. It’s meant for “you” guys… as in the community here in the “forums”… to submit who “you” think should be included… what tables… etc.

You can’t expect him to be a mind reader… know every single accomplishment by every author / contributor.. and make every single person happy by having “everyone” you feel needs recognition on the list from the beginning. Otherwise these lists would be HUGE.

Also… this is specifically made for awards for “releases” from the last year only.

Not… ” this person spent this xxx hours compared to this person who made this one table… compared to this person…blah blah…”.

The community is who will chose who gets nominated and who wins… not Ken.

You want something like this to include everything to your perfect expectations and wants… then get off your asses and make the efforts to do this yourself… and see how you would feel with these same kind of responses.

Sadly… this is exactly the kind of response I was expecting by some here in the forums. You guys really need to pay attention before jumping the gun… and HELP OUT instead of offering only these unwarranted responses… and yes maybe I’m jumping the gun a bit in my response… but man I’m really disappointed with some responses here. (I say responses a lot)

@Bord
                                  …you called it pretty accurately.

robertms
                                  Participant
                                    @mophead

… and yes maybe I’m jumping the gun a bit in my response… but man I’m really disappointed with some responses here.

Yes, you are jumping the gun a bit, no need to be a hothead about it. I said I liked the project and my comment was intended to help out with the process. Re-read the first sentence in Ken’s post “Want to make sure everyone knows that voting is going on now for the First Annual Virtual Pinball Awards.” I understand this is intended as a preliminary vote, but as long as it is formulated as a list of names it should include all the valid contributors names. Perhaps a better way would be to ask to write in suggestions initially and then compile the list from there.

Schreibi34
                                    Participant
                                      @schreibi34

To make two things clear:

1. I never wanted to be on that list and i never said something in that direction!
                                      2. None of my comments was either toxic or disrespectfull!
                                      TerryRed
                                        @terryred

… and yes maybe I’m jumping the gun a bit in my response… but man I’m really disappointed with some responses here.

Yes, you are jumping the gun a bit, no need to be a hothead about it. I said I liked the project and my comment was intended to help out with the process. Re-read the first sentence in Ken’s post “Want to make sure everyone knows that voting is going on now for the First Annual Virtual Pinball Awards.” I understand this is intended as a preliminary vote, but as long as it is formulated as a list of names it should include all the valid contributors names. Perhaps a better way would be to ask to write in suggestions initially and then compile the list from there.

Pardon my hotheadedness… I’m a redhead… and its in my nature…. or I’m just getting older. I just get real miffed when someone puts a bunch of work into something, and it gets any negative initial responses, instead of “thanks… great idea… how can we help, etc.”

Also… I’m pretty sure much of that initial list was a result of other groups helping to create those choices “so far”.

Like Bord said… there are tribes among the different vp sites and FB groups, etc… and not everyone can be represented to everyone’s satisfaction initially….or maybe ever. I mean… we have A LOT of great contributors and creations from the last year.

As Ken said… this is intended to evolve. So let’s help him out!

kenswift
                                        Participant
                                          @kenswift

This is what’s frustrating to me. The list was almost literally a blank slate. I put Pre-Voting everywhere and it explains right at the top of the form. It also encourages the write in votes.  Today was the first 24 hours of preliminary voting in a two week time period to vote. If someone that the forum wants on that list, isn’t on that list, all people have to do is write them in. There’s no way I can go to every forum, Facebook page, discord channel and have lists created, then make a monstrous list because I don’t know how many people feel the same way about that nominee. A sliver of the total votes are in, so why not rally the forum together and vote for who you think deserves it. This is what makes the most sense. This is meant to recognize accomplishments for the year 2020. It’s meant to be a good thing. It’s meant to get all of you involved in a positive way.

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

This is what’s frustrating to me. The list was almost literally a blank slate. I put Pre-Voting everywhere and it explains right at the top of the form. It also encourages the write in votes. Today was the first 24 hours of preliminary voting in a two week time period to vote. If someone that the forum wants on that list, isn’t on that list, all people have to do is write them in. There’s no way I can go to every forum, Facebook page, discord channel and have lists created, then make a monstrous list because I don’t know how many people feel the same way about that nominee. A sliver of the total votes are in, so why not rally the forum together and vote for who you think deserves it. This is what makes the most sense. This is meant to recognize accomplishments for the year 2020. It’s meant to be a good thing. It’s meant to get all of you involved in a positive way.

It is a good thing brother.

We all realize that. We all want to see all “our vp guys” get their recognition for their selfless hard work… just like you are doing.

I think there was just some confusion from some guys, who misunderstood the intent of the initial process.

No one… and I mean no one is getting “left out” here guys. If you want to see other names / tables to pop up for nomination… then spread the word and get everyone to add them in.

The lists will be evolving… and then you will see more narrowed down options to vote on based on everyone’s contributions.

As Ken said… it’s mean to get “everyone” involved to make it happen…. and it will be a very cool thing to see in the end.

Anyone who has seen Ken’s work should know he creates top quality and put max effort into what he does.

This is going to be very cool guys.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 56 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?