PinKadia: Pinball, MAME, and PC games in a combined Pinball and Arcade cabinet!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    randr
    Keymaster
      @randr
      ModeratorMember

Reason i dislike fx2 is you play FOREVER it seems. i dont have that much time to play a game

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
      for IOS and Android

TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

Good point! At least you can resume your game though…

I like the short and sweet games as well!  It’s either because we grew up in Arcades where games were designed to be short and difficult….

…or we are just getting too old and can’t stand or sit on a stool for too long.  lol!  :)

TerryRed
          @terryred

AAAAAAH! Disaster has struck.

My center “DMD” / Marquee / extra display” monitor has died on me. I can’t complain, it was 10 years old after all….

However, that means I have to replace it with a new monitor / TV.

The bad news, is:

I have to figure out how to mount this new screen. Old one was a 5:4 monitor with no vesa mount at all, new one is a 16:9 TV.

I have to make a new bezel to fit this new screen.

I have to re-do all my media to fit the new bezel.

New bezel will be a tad bit shorter on the 4th display

Future Pinball tables all have to be re-edited to fit the new bezel’s 4th display area.

Good news:

The screen quality and colours will look much nicer. (You guys can’t tell how dim and faded it was looking by my pics or videos)

I may re-do the speakers into 4 holes to better accommodate my RGB “flashers”.

I’ll have a monitor that will be much easier to remove.

I can hear you guys screaming…. “Dude, get a real DMD!”

If I put a real DMD into the back of my cabinet, there would be ALOT of unused space left as I can’t fit another screen and a DMD into there. It really would look odd, and I’d hate it. Also, I really like having that extra “display area”. Especially for MAME and Future Pinball.

Also, the cost of a DMD even with DIY would cost alot more than this new screen which was real cheap and looks great.

Alot of work to do now….but once its installed I WILL show some gameplay footage of VP with the addressable LEDS and matrix, before re-doing all the other stuff.

randr
          Keymaster
            @randr
            ModeratorMember

FIX IT! :) then game play videos :) hurry!

sorry about failed screen but yes does happen sadly nothing can last forever. but sounds like you will be better off now so good

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
              @terryred

Disaster strikes…. a new look emerges!

Dead middle screen:

OK….so my middle “dual” screen which was a 5:4 monitor died on me (after 10 years of service). I now needed to get a new middle screen, and I had to re-build my bezel and speaker arrangement to accommodate it.

I didn’t want to bother with another 5:4 monitor, because they are all old now, and I wanted to have something that could easily be replaced in the future. I really wanted to keep the “dual” screen function and I didn’t have anough room for both a real DMD and a small screen (of decent size) in the space I had. (and it would look silly with only a DMD in there with lots of unused space)

I decided to go with a 19 inch 16:9 TV. It fit nicely and was the widest I could go….the colours were really nice….it was only $80 CDN new…and unlike the previous monitor which was a —smurfette— mount, this had a standard vesa mount. It also had 1:1 pixel mapping which made for a perfect crisp image.

After a bit of work, I was able to get to get it mounted in a way that could easily be adjusted in the future if I had to replaced this one. I now had a little bit of space above and below the TV since this is a widescreen monitor.

New Bezel, new function:

For the bezel, I now had a wider screen space, but that also meant that my speakers would have to be mounted to the farthest sides of the backbox. My “dual” screens would be closer together, and the top half a little bit smaller.

Since I had my RGB “flashers” inside my two speaker holes before and really liked how it worked, I wanted to still have that…. but I didn’t like having 2 “flashers” within the same speaker hole. It would end up blending colours and not be distinctive enough. I wanted 4 separate “flashers”.

I figured, since my left and right speakers each have 2 smaller speakers…then why not have 4 speaker holes in the bezel!

The RGB speaker holes!

Below is a 2 inch PVC coupler fitting (I think). I got one for each speaker. I cut a notch out at the bottom and put in a strip of RGB LEDs all around then inside….

….then I cut the bezel out of thin backboard, and hot-glued a RGB LED speaker spacer at each hole (after putting on carbon fibre vinyl wrap and automotive car trim in each hole).

….then I put speaker cloth on the back of each hole with an elastic band…

….and voila! Let there be discrete 4 RGB “flasher” lights!

Each speaker hole is now the Outer Left, Left, Right, Outer Right RGB flasher (center flasher is backbox backlighting). You’ll notice that the LED matrix below has 5 shapes. These are actually the equivalent of the 5 RGB flashers that is displayed for this table. (the shapes can be anything, I was just testing) Notice they are matching in colour with the speaker holes.

Tables and media need to be re-done:

You’ll have to excuse the squished Visual Pinball logo. Since all of my Pinball X “dual middle screen” media (which is one single picture or video) was created with a 5:4 ratio, it now all has to be re-done to look proper with a 16:9 ratio.

If Pinball X had a separate “default DMD video / picture” for each system, this would make my job much easier…

Future Pinball:

Future Pinball tables will all have to be re-edited again, to have all the elements (movie clips, scores, gadgets, etc) to fit the top of the middle screen. What you have seen in my Future Pinball videos in Pinball X for that section is not looping videos. Its all bits from actual gameplay within Future Pinball.

Here are some picture examples of Future Pinball with the new bezel:

At first, I thought the 4 holes looked a little weird, but after seeing the lights in use, I love it! The only thing I hate is the fact that I couldn’t get the chrome trim to make a perfect circle.

….and it sounds better too!

randr
              Keymaster
                @randr
                ModeratorMember

it looks good. Now get to work! Lol

for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
                TerryRed
                  @terryred

it looks good. Now get to work! Lol

LOL…will do….but not tonight…. celebrating 18 years of marriage, and I ate waaay too much food.

TerryRed
                    @terryred

After I finished my new middle “dual” screen and bezel setup, I wanted to setup just a few DMD screen media videos so I would have something that looked better than the squished images from my old setup…..and I wanted it for doing a video of gameplay for VP and the LED matrix.

It also occurred to me that alot of people don’t actually understand what my setup is really like and how the media and middle screen setup actually works. Also, alot of people think Future Pinball just plays looped videos from Pinball X for example, which it doesn’t.

I get alot of people asking me how I get the media for my middle screen, and how I got the “videos” from Future Pinball showing on FutureDMD (which it isn’t), etc

So while making a quick video to show the new bezel and flashers, I thought I would show how I make my media for my middle screen, also how I setup Future Pinball to work with that.

So to answer a bunch of questions, here is a video demonstration of Part 1 of my NEW dual screen / Bezel setup, and media creation This one focuses on Visual Pinball:

…and the Part 2 video focuses on Pinball FX2 and how to setup Future Pinball for a “dual” middle screen:

….now with that out of the way…. on to getting some VP LED Matrix gameplay videos!…. unless something ELSE happens…  :(

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

looks good. my configs i gave you have 90 percent of the tables changed to matrix 5 bar emulated so matrix is 5 small circles that look like a 5 bar flasher.

for IOS and Android

TerryRed
                        @terryred

looks good. my configs i gave you have 90 percent of the tables changed to matrix 5 bar emulated so matrix is 5 small circles that look like a 5 bar flasher.

You’re right.

I noticed that when playing around. I was using these shapes (and animated effects) to see if I knew how the config files for the shapes, and the BMP pic worked….and if it was affecting all the 5 flasher bar equivalent tables, etc….

For me, the circles wound up looking a bit more like ovals because of my LED strips dimensions, etc….  Maybe I’ll try words now…

TerryRed
                          @terryred

Visual Pinball Addressable LED Matrix Gameplay Videos!

Well, after a few distractions:  my middle screen dying, creating a new bezel, getting VPX running in exclusive fullscreen issues, etc….

They are finally here! I said a while back I would get around to showing some videos of VP gameplay and effects from addressable leds through DOF….so here they are!

Unlike the rolling effects while browsing in Pinball X, these are different things that occur from various triggers throughout gameplay. Explosions, looping effects, rocket trails, sparkles, symbols, shapes….all sorts of things.

Please note: this was the best angle I could get that would still show all 3 sections of the addressable LEDS.  The brightness of the LEDs can also be adjusted…so you don’t need to worry about being blinded while playing!

I apologize if I seem to repeat myself a few times….the damn power kept going out while I was recording, so I lost track of what I said in earlier videos.

This first video shows Bride of Pinbot and Attack From Mars. Lots of different types of effects shown…. I continued to make other videos, even after the power goes out at the end of this video!

This second video shows off some explosion effects, trail effects, and more. Tables shown are Medieval Madness, and Monster Bash.

This third video shows some cool looping effects from The Getaway, as well as the neat effects in Star Trek and Circus Voltaire!

This last video show ALOT more tables, and demonstrates how the various lighting toys in a pinball cabinet can be replicated by the back matrix! Also shows some other effects. Tables shown are NBA Fastbreak, Jurassic Park, Scared Stiff, Tales of the Arabian Nights, Transformers, Twilight Zone, and Star Wars.

I hope these videos do justice in showing off the hard work from everyone involved in making these effects possible!

If there is something specific you want to see, let me know and maybe I can put up more videos!

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

Great videos as usual terry! DOF adds so much to the emulation of pinball I can’t imagine playing without it! Great stuff!

********************************************************
                            for IOS and Android

1 user thanked author for this post.
                            TerryRed
                              @terryred

Great videos as usual terry! DOF adds so much to the emulation of pinball I can’t imagine playing without it! Great stuff!

I know what you mean…  it feels empty having to play late a night with the family sleeping and having to have feedback turned off…. but at least all the lights don’t make noise!

Who would have thought we’d have cool effects like this in virtual pinball! I love it!

TerryRed
                                @terryred

Well how about that…

SLAMT1LT, better known for creating some of the best Future Pinball tables out there (original, recreation, modded, etc) has mentioned my pinball cabinet (saying “this is how his games should be played, etc…”) on his website’s main page, and linked one of my videos at the bottom where you see the featured videos.

Link to his website is here. Keep in mind that the main page changes all the time, so you may not see “the mention” anymore depending on how long its been. Either way, it’s worth checking his page out, as its where you will see the newest versions of his fantastic tables.

http://speak1970.wixsite.com/slamspinballemporium

TerryRed
                                  @terryred

To top it all off:

Well, I never really liked the way the strobes and beacon looked on top, just all plain looking. So I decided to make some sort of topper for them that would match the style of the rest of the cabinet. Nothing fancy…but I like it much better than the plain look… and the black & chrome really helps to isolate the strobes from the wall behind and makes their light much more concentrated and bright. Here’s some pics:

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

Here is a demo of the new program DOFLinx (formerly DOFFX2) by DDH69. I’ve been beta testing it for a while now. This program has many more features and now provides full true feedback for Future Pinball using DOF.

This means support for all of the modern pinball cabinet toys, lighting and feedback for Led-Wiz, Sainsmart USB, PACLED64, and KL25Z.

This is my first attempt at doing anything with VB script and adding feedback to a table. I modded Star Trek (Stern) Ultimate Edition by SLAMT1LT to include animated lighting effects and feedback. Here is a video demo of DOFLinx running on my cabinet:

TerryRed
                                      @terryred

Aliens Legacy (Ultimate Edition) (v1.12) (p2.7) (DOFLinx)

Here’s a video demo of the DOFLinx mod I did of Aliens Legacy (Ultimate Badass Edition) running in my cabinet.

You’ve never seen a Future Pinball table with cabinet feedback and lighting like this before!

I added animated RGB flasher effects for…

-machine gun turret fire

-grenade explosions

-nuclear explosions

-flame thrower

-blow torch

-custom flasher sequences to match those of the table’s

-orbit (spinner?) effects

-ship drop sequence

I made use of some combined effects like shaker / blower fan / lights.

Devices supported on this table:

Flippers

Slingshots

Bumpers, Drop Targets, Kickers, etc.

5 RGB Flashers

Blower Fan

Shaker

Gear Motor

Strobe

Beacon

Start button

Coin button

Launch Ball button

FIRE button

RGB Undercab Lighting

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

Well, I’d like to say that this post is about an upgrade to the pincab, but….

We just moved to Ottawa this week. Its been a long couple of weeks of packing, loading, cleaning, and living in a hotel with myself, wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. VERY tiring.

We were happy to finally take possession of our new home, and to see the moving truck arrive with all of our stuff. The move went amazingly well without any real scratches or damages to the house.

Amazingly, our items arrived undamaged…. except for “one” thing……

:(

robertms
                                        Participant
                                          @mophead

Oh crap.. Figures, right?

randr
                                          Keymaster
                                            @randr
                                            ModeratorMember

How the heck did that happen? I’ve made a few cabs and never had on break decased tv’s too. Does your cab flex? Or did you drop something on it? Sorry man but at least a tv is cheap enough. Sucks!

for IOS and Android

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 129 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?