Star Trek – The Next Generation (Williams 1993)_Bigus(MOD)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bigus1
    Participant
      @bigus1

https://vpinball.com/?post_type=cmdm_page&p=174148

This beauty from Knorr and ClarkKent is great fun and definitely a big favorite of mine.

Plus I get to play a real one regularly, which is a bonus (well I did before the greebs came to get us)

So Big Thanks Guys for your swift approvals to mod this gem.

I’ve given it a makeover and tried to capture the look and feel of at least the machine I play.

Enjoy :)

makmak
      Participant
        @makmak

A real beauty and plays so well – thank you!

ridlar
        Participant
          @ridlar

Great work to a favourite…thanks man!

hworths1545
          Participant
            @hworths1545

Thanks so much Bigus.  Just when I thought this table could not play or look any better, Bigus comes in and creates a delight for us VPX enthusiasts.  Gameplay, phyics, and lights are a wonder to behold.

My first game on this gem I scored 3.73 Billion points with 5 balls.  Shocked myself…

Thanks again!!!

robertms
            Participant
              @mophead

@bigus1 I can appreciate your enthusiasm and speed with which you’re cranking out your mods. I can also appreciate when you dig up some of the forgotten/unrefined titles and try to improve on them. In fact there are probably dozens of titles out there that were released during the early VPX days that could benefit from a “10.6” face lift. I also sincerely appreciate your willingness to jump in and collaborate with new authors and lending a hand with crude VP8/9 conversions.

However.. I just can’t sit silently on the sidelines while a reference original is being ruined by an unnecessary “makover” (and I know I’m not the only one who feels that way). I am scratching my head over here trying to understand in what way this mod is an improvement over the original?? The hockey puck physics? The fluorescent tube lighting? I mean, was there ANYONE who said to you “next I hope you tackle STTNG by Knorr”?? And again why, why are you prioritizing your name in the credits over the original authors? A little humility would go a long way in not coming across like a pompous ass. After all you didn’t author anything here, at the most you played with some lights and physics settings to your liking. Here’s how others do it:

file_author_example

4 users thanked author for this post.
              bietekwiet
              Participant
                @bietekwiet

Thanks for the MOD of this awesome table, Bigus! I love it.

I don’t share in the criticism of the above post. You clearly mention “Bigus Mod” so people know it is an adaptation.

I personally love the adaptations to the tables you have  brought out over the last weeks, here and on vpforums.

They play really well and it brought me joy in the quarantaine period. Of the good tables I at times have several versions in my frontend.

So thank you!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                Chris
                Participant
                  @humid

I feel like having a Shockman rant about both the comments above. One is a heartfelt thank you. The other is full of the same type of comments that SlamT!lt was barraged with when he started doing mods. I have never been a fan of Slam, but I respect that others appreciate how he elevated other peoples tables. It’s easy enough to see that Bigus is modding with sincere addiction driven energy. In the big picture it isn’t a big deal when authors are granting permission. If I were Knorr I might have said no. Apparently he said yes. So there is no need to knock Bigus off his game. He has worked on tables that I enjoy trying. Sometimes I keep his mod, sometimes I prefer the original. Aren’t we all just ants in a pinball colony, hoping the colony continues to thrive? Save the friction for guys like Ghost, who cross the abrasive line.

Skitso
                  Participant
                    @skitso

Modding is great, I do it all the time and almost all the tables I own are more or less modded to my own taste… but I’m not putting them all online for others to play. I’ve only released officially a few that I can say are high enough quality, a definite improvement over the original and something I can stand behind the end result. I have my own modded version of pretty much all the tables Bigus has released but with much more substantial improvements that are still never ever going see the light of day… they are just for my own use and not going to be uploaded online ever. There needs to be restraint on what to make a public release.

That said, It’s nice to see Bigus’ enthusiasm. You just need to put your time and energy to one perfect release instead of making few small changes to every table you have and release them all online.

It’s not right for the original author (even if you have a permission) and we’ll drown in the sea of dozens of indifferent versions that are not an absolute improvement, but just your personal preference.

Black Mage
                    Participant
                      @blackmage

I appreciate the modded versions, as I dont spend time tweaking tables and I’m probably not as good as others whom have done it for a while. Much love to everyone!

Loganchihuahua
                      Participant
                        @chihua07

I was really surprised to see a Mod of this table based on physics and visuals,  seeing how it is one of the best tables on my Rig.  There was a mod awhile back of this table that used a Borg (cube ship).  That mod made sense since the author of the mod really wanted to see a Borg Ship from the TV show and decided to put it in.  Didn’t matter if you liked it or not, it was a totally different concept hence it being a mod. However, a mod based on physics and light changes within the same generation of VPX is a bit odd. The original was just updated in late 2019 and it just blew me away. 10.6  all updated etc..

I tend to agree with Skitso.  I too have customized so many aspects of different tables.  Made them my own so to speak, but I can’t imagine uploading them unless they really offered something different or a novelty to the original table. Physics changes and light change tweaks doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to upload.

However sometimes a mod can transcend or really improve an older version. Update the graphics to the a new version of VPX.  Indy 500 modded by Sheltemke really is just fantastic.  It is my preferred version since it has been so lovingly upgraded. Yet the kudos given are mainly to the original authors.  Thanks and praises nevertheless have gone to Sheltmke by his peer reviews and also by additions by other authors. People get fired up on it.

The Bram Stokers Dracula remake is definitely a big improvement of the original.  A mod that has gone through a few revisions now which is getting better and better. Great job Bigus. Its good. I play the table more as a result. A sweet wine takes time.

If every change made to lighting or physics was posted as a mod, there would be so much to sift through and the true gems would not be made anymore, because it would be a mod show and the point would be lost. I appreciate all of the titles. I just get why there is some frustration around the issue of mods/tweaks and what constitutes a mod or what constitutes just a minor tweak.  I also get that people appreciate the mods.

Many of these replies given by gracious Virtual Pinballers are all giving the mod kudos to an amazing table.  But remember the amazing table was made by Knorr, Clark Kent, etc.  It is so important that the people that have taken the time to build these absolutely amazing tables which are modded are given credit for their creations. They deserve it the most. Without them there would be nothing to mod.

Peace and stay safe

Thanks to everyone for providing such an amazing distraction during these stressful times. Thanks to the creators and contributors to all these tables.

Knorr
                        Participant
                          @knorr
                          vipContributor

@bigus1 I can appreciate your enthusiasm and speed with which you’re cranking out your mods. I can also appreciate when you dig up some of the forgotten/unrefined titles and try to improve on them. In fact there are probably dozens of titles out there that were released during the early VPX days that could benefit from a “10.6” face lift. I also sincerely appreciate your willingness to jump in and collaborate with new authors and lending a hand with crude VP8/9 conversions.

However.. I just can’t sit silently on the sidelines while a reference original is being ruined by an unnecessary “makover” (and I know I’m not the only one who feels that way). I am scratching my head over here trying to understand in what way this mod is an improvement over the original?? The hockey puck physics? The fluorescent tube lighting? I mean, was there ANYONE who said to you “next I hope you tackle STTNG by Knorr”?? And again why, why are you prioritizing your name in the credits over the original authors? A little humility would go a long way in not coming across like a pompous ass. After all you didn’t author anything here, at the most you played with some lights and physics settings to your liking. Here’s how others do it:

file_author_example

Well, i have to jump in here. So i have to speak for me, well i know ck is also very calm when it get to those things so i believe he is with me. First, i love to see mods of tables. Its the best way to recrute new authors. All authors once where modders, myself to even when i released only one mod, i had about 50 for myself. When i grant permission then its there own, they can do what ever they want. I´m ok with that, more… its the nature playground of a mod to get different. And for the author names i dont care to, most dont know who build those tables anyway…

I understand your good intentions, but its not a big deal…

cheers

1 user thanked author for this post.
                          The Loafer
                          Participant
                            @theloafer

If the author approves, this really is a non-issue.  If the mod isn’t up to snuff, it won’t be played. if it is, it will get proper kudos.   I would like to say even though there were two sides to the argument, there was a lot of good intentions here.  I wish every dramatic issue based on VP community was founded on good discourse as we’ve seen above.

Haxter
                            Participant
                              @haxter

Big thanks for the table it plays wonderful!   Excellent work with the physics I really appreciate.

robertms
                              Participant
                                @mophead

Well, i have to jump in here. So i have to speak for me, well i know ck is also very calm when it get to those things so i believe he is with me. First, i love to see mods of tables. Its the best way to recrute new authors. All authors once where modders, myself to even when i released only one mod, i had about 50 for myself. When i grant permission then its there own, they can do what ever they want. I´m ok with that, more… its the nature playground of a mod to get different. And for the author names i dont care to, most dont know who build those tables anyway… I understand your good intentions, but its not a big deal…   cheers

Thanks for chiming in @knorr, you’re obviously a lot more magnanimous on this subject then I would have been had I originally authored this table. Many of us consider you as one of the top VP authors and your works serve as (often unachievable) reference for us mere mortals. We feel privileged to have you in our community and don’t like to see others tarnish fruits of your labor.

As stated before I see Bigus as an asset to the community and there’s no doubt his skills are improving. I have personally commanded him on several projects and hope he continues taking on new ones. I also think he’s on his way to becoming a great VP author, a feat he’d accomplish even sooner if he focused his efforts on fewer projects at a time.

@Skitso
                                summarized it best by saying us “modders” need to have some restraint on what to make a public release. Painting a mustache on a Mona Lisa and touting it as a “makeover” would not constitute an essential mod. Some things are better left alone, sometimes just out of respect for the original author, “improving” on those serves no higher purpose.

Furthermore, if you’re new to the VP community the recent flood of unnecessary mods is making it difficult and confusing to choose best versions to add to your collection. New members are typically focused on downloading the most recent versions, which by definition should be most improved and up to date. Back in the VP9 days I had downloaded all of Loaded Weapon’s mods and never even bothered downloading the originals because it was commonly known these mods were the most improved versions of the tables. This kind of thinking would get me in real trouble right now…

So the message here is simple: Humility. Respect. Restraint.

Peace.

Tom
                                Participant
                                  @armyaviation
                                  MemberContributor

I agree totally with the argument here.  I am in agreement that a few lights and tweaks don’t deserve a mod.  I have downloaded a few of Bigus’ mods and quite frankly I don’t see much of a difference.  I have quit looking at his tables because in my opinion it is a waste of time.  I think that we are just clogging up the system with mod after mod after mod.

there is one over at VPF that comes to mind.  It was a rough conversion, which was modded and made better, but it was done so quickly that it’s still rough.  Quality is always better than quantity.

as for all of the other theme change mods… I like to see people learn new skills and contribute, but there are a ton of other vp9 tables with good graphics, especially EM and early SS that need completed.  give us a table that we don’t have already.  5 mods of strikes And spares is still strikes And spares no matter what music is playing.

i do think that this table was extremely well done in the beginning and did not need to be updated.  To each his own though

bietekwiet
                                  Participant
                                    @bietekwiet

I am struggling to get the ball in the middle “select mission” trap hole.

A shot that usually is the easiest shot to master in the TNG table.

Can it be that the ball is slightly bigger than intended, or perhaps the trap hole got narrower?

I can’t get in.

Tom
                                    Participant
                                      @armyaviation
                                      MemberContributor

One again proves a point.  Technical questions that probably had nothing to do with the mod should be asked in the original table release so the guy who built it can answer them.

Invader1977
                                      Participant
                                        @invader1977

Ok, so I hope I can post my little issue here :scratch:

First off, this is the first version of STTNG which runs flawlessly on my vpin. I had previously installed the table with a PUP pack, but I never got that to run fluidly on my 4k setup so I kinda gave up on the table.

So as said this one runs nicely, except for a small issue: the ball rolling sounds are not in sync with the action/too loud. For example the ball would roll slowly somewhere in the upper half of the playfield, and the SSF produces really loud rolling sounds in the lower half.

Is this something that can easily be fixed?

Loganchihuahua
                                        Participant
                                          @chihua07

First off, this is the first version of STTNG which runs flawlessly on my vpin. I had previously installed the table with a PUP pack, but I never got that to run fluidly on my 4k setup so I kinda gave up on the table.

So as said this one runs nicely, except for a small issue: the ball rolling sounds are not in sync with the action/too loud. For example the ball would roll slowly somewhere in the upper half of the playfield, and the SSF produces really loud rolling sounds in the lower half.

You may want to check this link. It is the original release. Not the pup pack release, but the original. The support tab will have all sorts of possible fixes you may want to look at, plus you can go ahead and try out the original.  Take care.

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/star-trek-the-next-generation-williams-1993/

bietekwiet
                                          Participant
                                            @bietekwiet

You may want to check this link. It is the original release. Not the pup pack release, but the original. The support tab will have all sorts of possible fixes you may want to look at, plus you can go ahead and try out the original. Take care.

https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/star-trek-the-next-generation-williams-1993/

I am running that original version with Pup pack without any issues.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?