Tom Taylor 2019 Event

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Scottacus
    Participant
      @scottacus
      MembervipContributor

Just got back from Milwaukee after going to the Tom Taylor pre-event for the Midwest Gaming Classic.  Tom owns hundreds of pinball machines including every wedge head ever made and once a year he opens his collection up to the first 100 folks who sign up for this event.  The proceeds are donated to the Milwaukee Rescue Mission.

Once again I met up with Bord and his buddies and my brother (Whirlwind) came as well.  We had a great time and played everything from Humpty Dumpty to The Munsters.  We also spent some time studying and shooting photos of tables that we would like to author this next year.  The really nice thing about this event is that it had limited numbers of tickets so you can pretty much walk up to any game and play right away.  I highly recommend it to everyone on the forum.

Of course we also had beer and lunch before the event and beer and a fish fry after.  Here’s a photo of Scottacus, Whirlwind and Bord after playing the new Munsters table over beers at the Cleveland Pub and Grill.

20190412_180732small

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Gosh I wish I could have got time to go…with the snow storm and work was just no time. Any pics of the pins lineup?

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Thalamus
          @thalamus
          ContributorMemberModerator

Yeah. Show us some more pictures please.

Scottacus
          Participant
            @scottacus
            MembervipContributor

That’s all I’ve got from this year but Bord might have more from this year’s event.  Here is an old video, since this was shot Tom added more tables and some facial hair but the layout is the same.

BTW Bord and I both set a goal of visiting Randr in the Twin Cities so you might be seeing us on your doorstep some day.  Did you notice the VPinball.com long sleeve tee in the photo?

Thalamus
              @thalamus

He would have to drag me out of there, at closing time B-)

bord
                @bord
                MembervipContributorModerator

Somehow this is my only photo from the event:

IMG_20190412_145509511_HDR

It was a great event. I had fun and learned a lot about EMs. It’s a great way to discover games you would otherwise never get to see and play. Scottacus and Whirlwind are terrific guys to know. Here’s hoping we can do it again next year!

Scottacus
                Participant
                  @scottacus
                  MembervipContributor

It really makes you appreciate just how many tables have not been made in VP yet.  It also give you the chance to play tables that you’ve played many times in VP so you know where the sweet shots are and how to rack up points.

I was surprised at how much fun some of the old wood rails are.  They may play much slower than a modern game but if you look at them in terms of game play, some stand up pretty well after all of these years.  I noticed that many of the woodrails had these chrome brackets on the side rails just above the flippers.  I asked Tom what these were and he said that they were cigarette holders.  Different era…

Thalamus
                    @thalamus

Wow. Cigarette holders. That was surprising. I remember many pins having yellow glass stains and ash near the lockdown bar. Didn’t expect smokers where welcomed like that, even if it was a long time ago.

LynnInDenver
                    Participant
                      @lynnindenver

Wow. Cigarette holders. That was surprising. I remember many pins having yellow glass stains and ash near the lockdown bar. Didn’t expect smokers where welcomed like that, even if it was a long time ago.

Even as few as twenty years ago, it was really hard to find certain classes of venue that you didn’t come away smelling like an ashtray, and the Venn diagram overlap with “venues with pins in” was pretty heavy, if not a perfect overlap. And operators didn’t care as long as the machine paid for itself within a couple of years – a pinball machine wasn’t expected to live past 5-10 years depending on the abuse level on location, and astonishingly few operators would have been interested in after-market value (read: private home use, which to an operator always meant one less location player, regardless of the reality).

Creator of the first PinupPlayer PostDMD mods for VPX - PostDMD for Masters of the Universe VPX and Jaws VPX.
                      Head Proprietor of Pisces Pinball, a VPX table developer.
                      Lead Technician of MC Chase Amusements, a private arcade in our home basement.

randr
                      Keymaster
                        @randr
                        ModeratorMember

Very cool! I did see shirt :)

i always think about the number of circuits needed to run all those table at one time :)

great collection that’s for sure

********************************************************
                        for IOS and Android

Scottacus
                        Participant
                          @scottacus
                          MembervipContributor

Yeah I would have liked to see how fast his electric meter was spinning during the event with all of those cabs sucking large numbers of watts.

randr
                          Keymaster
                            @randr
                            ModeratorMember

That’s all I’ve got from this year but Bord might have more from this year’s event. Here is an old video, since this was shot Tom added more tables and some facial hair but the layout is the same.

YouTube Video Preview

BTW Bord and I both set a goal of visiting Randr in the Twin Cities so you might be seeing us on your doorstep some day. Did you notice the VPinball.com long sleeve tee in the photo?

Anyone is welcome ANYIME to visit :)

for IOS and Android

rothbauerw
                              @rothbauerw
                              ModeratorContributorMembervip

Next year I’m going and I’m dragging @randr kicking and screaming with me.

Current Project: Perpetual updates of VPX physics.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?