Why are some tables drain monsters?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    RustyCardores
      @rustycardores
      MemberModerator

What is it that makes some tables drain excessively more than others?

Is any singular factor a primary cause, or is it a combination of factors, or could it be actual table design itself? (ie the real table was also a drain monster)

For example, I find that Flash (one of my all time faves) “drains more than a fat man’s dunny after a dodgy vindaloo”.

Not so much the middle (although it does seem to drain easy there too), but the sides. If the ball just goes remotely near the sides, 10 out of 11 times the sucker will drain.

Some games are over before I even get a chance to play. :(

Obviouly I’m not a table designer or I wouldn’t be asking this question. But I can normally tweak table physics to get a closer to my desired play, but I don’t know where to start with drain monsters. Any hints as to where I should start?

Cheers Rusty.

randr
      Keymaster
        @randr
        ModeratorMember

Funny thing with vp is most simulations play just like the real machine as far as side drains, ball sticking and such. Like real pinball most high score shots are made to drain or dang near drain when hit which is great to see in vp when it emulates a half ramp shot and the sucker drains right down the middle :)

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
        So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
        for IOS and Android

Drybonz
        Participant
          @drybonz

I think the notorious drain tables are thought of as just tough tables.  I like the Scorpion table… if you miss the ball with the upper playfield flipper on that one after you launch the ball, it is going straight down, perfectly centered, between your lower flippers.  There are a bunch of tables like that, that are designed to screw you in certain situations.

N3roflint
          Participant
            @n3roflint

I find tables that are drain monsters get easier over time as I learn where and when to nudge properly to prevent the ball from draining. It can be a long learning curve on some tables though but I like the challenge.

RustyCardores
              @rustycardores
              MemberModerator

I understand that nudging becomes a big part of the game. Flash is one if those tables that really benefits from it, but the side drains are still a pain.

The ball can be half way into the side lane and it will bounce back to find its way down the side shute, that or it simply makes a b-line for the shute from just about anywhere on the table. When it does this there is nothing that a player can do…. And it does it all the darn time. :(

senseless
              Participant
                @senseless

You can always edit the table and close the sides :whistle:…. But seriously there are indeed some tables (in real life and digital) that are coin eaters and need some serous nudging to save some pennies when playing. I don’t mind and like the challenge.

DJRobX
                  @djrobx
                  MemberModerator

If I want to make a table easier I will usually reduce the power on the slings, and/or reduce the elasticity on the flippers.   If the ball bounces really easily off the flippers, it’s harder to catch the ball and get it under control.    The slings cause a lot of horizontal movement which increases the probability that it will drain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?