why?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    HauntFreaks
      @hauntfreaks
      vipContributorMember

let me set the stage…
      so if someone had:
      the resources
      the know how
      a machine capable for
      not being an update, or upgrade from vp9
      would they build a from scratch VP9 table and not a VP10?

just looking for people opinions why?  :scratch:

BorgDog
      Participant
        @borgdog
        MemberContributorvip

dey loco maan

freneticamnesic
          @freneticamnesic
          vipModeratorMember

The same reason people still have dumb phones

Punch it!

bord
            @bord
            MembervipContributorModerator

I wonder about that more often than I’d like. Too many new VP9 tables still being released. If nothing else VPX is a major time saver for a table author.

My best guess is these guys with ancient PCs can’t run VPX well and so persist in the VP9 world. Not sure I sympathize. A raging fast PC doesn’t cost any more than a fancy phone or a few months of cable television these days. It’s not like you’re shelling out huge bucks to be able to enter the VPX club, especially since as an author you’re already investing a shitload of time into the hobby.

bodydump
            Participant
              @bodydump

Thank god.  I was pretty sure this was going to end up being “Why haven’t you released NGG”.

Anyway, I think old computer or scared of change or both as they could be related.

HauntFreaks
                @hauntfreaks
                vipContributorMember

but thats why I added these caveats
                the know how
                a machine capable for

so it happening with guys that have machines up to snuff, and the coding know how….
                to each there own of course, I just dont get the point behind it…. i mean other than a bigger audience

bord
                  @bord
                  MembervipContributorModerator

] i mean other than a bigger audience

How long is that going to be the case? I skip most new VP9s unless it is something exceptional. I can’t be the only one.

But hey, wasn’t there a new VP8 table released just last week?

HauntFreaks
                    @hauntfreaks
                    vipContributorMember

] i mean other than a bigger audience

How long is that going to be the case? I skip most new VP9s unless it is something exceptional. I can’t be the only one.

But hey, wasn’t there a new VP8 table released just last week?

lol…. that was Douglas you cannt blame him he comes from the old old old school and his machine cant run vp10

as for DLing VP9…i’m with you, I stopped a while back…. but if its something really rare, I will…
                    i’m a snob for what goes in my cab to a point… some guys are worse then me (you know who you are) and others will put ANYTHING in there… ya whores

randr
                    Keymaster
                      @randr
                      ModeratorMember

I’m a whore :(

Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                      So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                      for IOS and Android

HauntFreaks
                        @hauntfreaks
                        vipContributorMember

and not even a classy one…

freneticamnesic
                          @freneticamnesic
                          vipModeratorMember

I grab mfuegemanns vp9 tables because he’s doing stuff we may not get in VPX for a long damn time. Everything else though I generally pass on.

Punch it!

TNT2
                          Participant
                            @tnt2

I have no issues with this thread being a pinball confessional.  :yes:

HauntFreaks
                              @hauntfreaks
                              vipContributorMember

mfuegemanns has the code skills and a machine that can run it, so thats one i just dont get…

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

I just do VPX, if it ain’t there I won’t run it.. or I’ll make it if I want it bad enough.  If you turn down video settings it really doesn’t take that much to run vpx honestly.

freneticamnesic
                                  @freneticamnesic
                                  vipModeratorMember

He’s comfortable with VP9, I think he does it for himself. I respect that. If you don’t want to take the time to learn something new, there’s probably a good reason for it.

Punch it!

HauntFreaks
                                    @hauntfreaks
                                    vipContributorMember

but he did fastdraw correct??…. that’s hardcoding… not even a rom…
                                    I do 100% agree and understand its for yourself first… I know it is for me, and know that’s the same philosophy of many builders
                                    I know after the first time I built a vpx I could never go back to making VP9’s ever again… thats me…

RustyCardores
                                      @rustycardores
                                      MemberModerator

I have no issues with this thread being a pinball confessional. :yes:

Forgive me father, for I have sinned.

It’s been 6 months since I last played a VP9 table and I have totally removed Future Pinball from my cab (OK no real sin that last bit… I’m just say’n :wacko: )

jbg4208
                                      Participant
                                        @jbg4208

I agree with most here. I won’t download any new vp9’s strictly VPX from here on. But I have been playing some of my VP9’s here lately. Forgot how fun some of them are. Lethal Weapon 3 is one of them.I would love to make a VPX version but  I know I could never do it justice compared to some of the other recent releases.

HauntFreaks
                                          @hauntfreaks
                                          vipContributorMember

I have lots of VP9 and VP9 PM5 stuff in my rig…
                                          and I play them now and then…
                                          But its disappointing when a new table i don’t have or a remake is again done in VP9

this is what i run in my cab….lol… so there is no shortage of VP9 in there….lol

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kIWcyzhCWsqzS3_QcYV92_2bo2VCh1U_SfO6hYckUM8/edit#gid=0

freneticamnesic
                                            @freneticamnesic
                                            vipModeratorMember

He did do Fast Draw. He said he’d work in VPX for future tables at the time, but I won’t hold it against him if he wants to stick to VP9. He is doing great stuff that is worth downloading no matter what system he builds for.  I don’t know though, I do not mess around in VP9 at all anymore, except to play existing tables. There’s no need, there’s so much great stuff happening in VPX that I have to build in it otherwise I’d be so far behind . I’ve said in the past though that it’s really an unforgiving editor, if you choose the wrong material, it sticks out like a sore thumb. You can spend hours fine tuning a material to get the right effect. But when you nail that material, it’s so satisfying, and it just looks perfect. If you have the patience you can do it but if you just want to get the table built and not dick around (some people have lives or something, not sure) then VP9 is the way to go.

I also enjoy the challenge, VPX isn’t easy, it’s not repetitive right now and there’s always something new to do.

Punch it!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?