Future Pinball and BAM Mega-Guide by TerryRed (DOF, PUP, SSF, VR and Front-Ends)

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 186 total)
  • Author
    Gramps
    Participant
      @gramps

TerryRed wrote:

Some recent Win 10 updates seem to be causing problems for people with FP and VPX.

Chances are Defender is enabled and causing problems. It’s at the point where you need to have Defender and no other anti-virus / malware stuff running at all with FP-BAM and VPX.

That’s a scary thought.  I’m running Norton and it rules Defender. I did go back into Norton and made sure that fploader and future pinball .exe were allowed to run (I know not to use pinball future.exe to run a table) Fortunately, none of my other tables seem to be affected.  Everything works great in VPX even the 95 or so pup packs I have running and all my other FP tables work.

I just noticed that I didn’t give you the whole report.  It also says “The application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.  Please contact the application’s support team for more information” Does that change your thoughts?  And thanks for the camera info.  I’ll be trying that for sure.

Thanks Terry.

TerryRed
        @terryred
        MemberContributorModerator

You would want futurepinbal.exe and the entire FP folder to be included.

That said, “exceptions”, may not be good enough anymore.

avidediter
        Participant
          @avidediter

I encountered a new problem with PinEvent tonight. My 4 tables (cabinet view) have been working flawlessly for over a month. All of a sudden tonight I am get Pinball Meditation Script Error on each PinEvent table. Only change to my system recently is loading Steam to include Zaccaria and PinballFX3 tables. As well as updating my Nvidia driver. I saw there was a newer version of BAM, so I tried updating to that hoping it would fix the problem. I also just loaded an even newer NVidia driver tonight from a couple days ago (version 456.71)

Standard Future Pinball tables are working correcly with no issues, only PinEvent Tables are not working. Any thoughts or suggestions?

TerryRed
            @terryred

A specific error would be more helpful than just a Meditation Error.

“Something” changed on your system. Win 10 updates can enable Defender and other anti-virus, and those can now start to block or cause problems for vbs files, and may have access / security problems.

Be sure Defender is disabled and see if that helps (exclusions may not be good enough).

Try reading here:

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=45263&hl=

TerryRed
              @terryred

Windows Defender / Anti-Virus (IMPORTANT!)

• recent updates from Windows 10 can cause certain aspects of Future Pinball to not work correctly
              • you MUST at a minimum, set “exceptions” in Windows Defender (and any other anti-virus program) for the entire Future Pinball folder
              • having Defender enabled WILL cause some tables to have a stutter problem, even with exceptions
              • Defender may cause vbs files to not work with Future Pinball, BAM, or PinEvent tables
              • it’s possible, depending on your system that you may need to disable Defender completely to allow both Future Pinball and BAM to work correctly with ALL tables
              • if you turn off Defender in Windows settings, it eventually re-enable itself after a while! If you want to permanently disable Defender, you will need to find another method. I won’t tell you how to do that (you can find solutions online), but please be careful when using ANY method (if you choose to do this)

There may be other anti-virus programs you can use if you disable Defender. I’ve used MalwareBytes with no problems (yet). Just be sure to add exceptions for the entire Future Pinball folder!

Gramps
              Participant
                @gramps

Futurama

The downloaded table folder has a “Models” folder with it.  Am I supposed to do something with that folder or the files in the folder?

Is the reason that I haven’t done anything with them why both the FB table and the DOFLinx tables hang up during loading – table cabinet shows up in the loading process and stops there.  Eventually the whole thing shuts down.

I’ve tried running it with all virus protection and Windows Defender turned off.

TerryRed
                  @terryred

Futurama

The downloaded table folder has a “Models” folder with it. Am I supposed to do something with that folder or the files in the folder?

Is the reason that I haven’t done anything with them why both the FB table and the DOFLinx tables hang up during loading – table cabinet shows up in the loading process and stops there. Eventually the whole thing shuts down.

I’ve tried running it with all virus protection and Windows Defender turned off.

What are the file extensions? If they are *.fpl then they go into the “FuturePinball \ Libraries” folder.

The guide has an entire section telling you what the file types are, and where they go.

TerryRed
                    @terryred

I’ve added a new section to the guide (in the VR section) showing how I get FP-BAM tables to work very well on my Oculus Quest 2 in Virtual Desktop for Wireless PC VR!

1 user thanked author for this post.
                    Jesper1994
                    Participant
                      @jesper1994
                      1. Thanks for your guide Terry! I am planning to build a PinSim Virtual Reality Pinball Machine. Do you know if it is possible to connect this with a virtual desktop on Oculus Quest 2? Really looking forward to your response.
                      TerryRed
                        @terryred
                        1. Thanks for your guide Terry! I am planning to build a PinSim Virtual Reality Pinball Machine. Do you know if it is possible to connect this with a virtual desktop on Oculus Quest 2? Really looking forward to your response.

In what way do you mean other than what I posted in the guide?

Jesper1994
                        Participant
                          @jesper1994

How can I connect my pinsim machine to the the virtual machine on quest 2. Is it via an usb cable to your ocolus quest?

TerryRed
                            @terryred

How can I connect my pinsim machine to the the virtual machine on quest 2. Is it via an usb cable to your ocolus quest?

For FP on Quest 2, only over Virtual Desktop (patched to allow wireless PC VR) will work well. My guide has a whole section for it in the VR section.

Using a Link cable (USB) doesnt work well because it’s fixed at 72Hz, and FP seems to need either 60Hz or 120Hz to work well.

Jesper1994
                            Participant
                              @jesper1994

Thanks Terry. Still could not find any information in your tutorial about connecting the pinsim hardware to the virtual desktop if it is wireless it should have something like Bluetooth.

TerryRed
                                @terryred

That would have nothing do with the Quest 2 itself or virtual desktop, as that is completely on your PC’s side already. So there is no need to have any of your PC controllers connect to the quest 2.

This guide is about getting FP-BAM setup and running. Any controllers you have connected to your PC would be setup like any other controller.

If you mean can you use the Quest 2’s Touch Controllers with FP…. the answer is yes through Virtual Desktop. When enabled, it is seen as an XBOX 360 gamepad and works very well. You can’t use the triggers (Z axis can’t be used for flippers), and you can’t use digital nudge (no d-pad)… but besides that is works nicely, combined with hand tracking.

scampa123
                                Participant
                                  @scampa123

I had this working briefly and now when I load a table with Virtual Desktop and SteamVR running I only see a floating Virtual Desktop screen (which is black btw) and hear the table sounds.  I do not see the VR environment in my Quest.  I tried reinstalling BAMVR, but it didn’t help.  I am starting FPLoader in the BAMVr folder…I was thinking maybe I was just launching as normal FPLoader, but I am not…

Does anyone have any ideas what I may have messed up here?

TerryRed
                                    @terryred

I had this working briefly and now when I load a table with Virtual Desktop and SteamVR running I only see a floating Virtual Desktop screen (which is black btw) and hear the table sounds. I do not see the VR environment in my Quest. I tried reinstalling BAMVR, but it didn’t help. Does anyone have any ideas what I may have messed up here?

Reboot, try again.

While playing, bring up VD menu and choose “Switch to VR”.

You may need to press the BAM “home” key to Reset your VR view each time you load a table. Be sure FP is in focus as well.

scampa123
                                    Participant
                                      @scampa123

It was ALVR!  I had to completely remove that from my system.  I have been trying to play with VR for both Future Pinball AND Visual Pinball….I’m not ready yet for that! ;-)

Once I completely removed ALVR things worked again.  Now I just need to remap the Oculus controllers to match the keys and I should be good to go…

I wish Vis Pinball VR could work the same way with Virtual Desktop..It would make all this at least common in setup!

TerryRed
                                        @terryred

It was ALVR! I had to completely remove that from my system. I have been trying to play with VR for both Future Pinball AND Visual Pinball….I’m not ready yet for that! ;-)

Once I completely removed ALVR things worked again. Now I just need to remap the Oculus controllers to match the keys and I should be good to go…

I wish Vis Pinball VR could work the same way with Virtual Desktop..It would make all this at least common in setup!

You need to use VPVR for VPX in VR… and you need to download VR specific tables for that (whereas FP all table work completely).

In VD you can configure the touch controllers to act like an XBOX 360 gamepad in VD settings. Then you can configure FP and VPVR with the controls from that gamepad.

scampa123
                                        Participant
                                          @scampa123

So do you change your controller mapping in VP then?  I was thinking there may be a war in VD to remap

TerryRed
                                            @terryred

So do you change your controller mapping in VP then? I was thinking there may be a war in VD to remap

Enable it and try it out.

In FP you’ll need to goto control settings, select and enable the new controller…then setup your buttons and axis as needed. That’s as far as I’ve tried.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 186 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?