Had Game Sounds, Now I Don't. No Clue Why. Help?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    stampedem
    Participant
      @stampedem

The game sounds on many of my tables seems to have quit.  Most tables in fact.

I cannot hear any rom audio, but I can hear the mechanical audio like bumpers and slingshots, etc.  So, I’m assuming it’s ROM related, rather than an issue with wiring or speakers.

As I’ve gone through each table, I’ve found that about 40% of the tables are playing their sounds. The other 60% no sounds, except the mechanical SSF sounds.  Mechanical sounds are no problem. There is no real pattern as to what tables have or don’t have emulated sound, i.e. no specific manufacturer is only having the trouble.  They all are.  The only think that seems consistent is that it’s older games (about 1985 or earlier) that seem to be affected more.  Newer games, 1990s and newer, seem to be less effected.  I’d say those newer games are 40%-60%, working/not working, whereas older games are more like 90% not working, 10% working.

My pinmame global options are “use sound” checked on, and altsound = 0, and ROM volume at 100%.  The F1 options for each table reflect the global options, so each table is defaulting to use sounds on and Altsound = 0.  When I F1 individual tables, I can confirm that they reflect the global settings.  But still, most tables won’t play any game sounds. For those tables I have an altsound / pinsound for, if I change the table option to altsound =1 (or 2 if pinsound) then I can hear game sounds.  But just trying to get rom emulations sounds?  Then nothing.

Additionally, I have the “Sound Samples” and “s3250u3” zipped in the ‘Samples’ subfolder of VPinMame.

Of course, I have each tables audio set as high as possible (8 or 9 key, or open [end key], then 8 or 9 if necessary).  And further, I have the VPX audio set as high as possible (+ key).  Lastly, in VPX preferences, I do have “play sound effects” and “play music” checked on, and both are set to play from the primary sound driver.

The ROMs I’m using are a good dump.  It’s the 3.2 SAMbuild batch. The tables play fine, the roms appear to correctly manage the table, display DMD info, etc.  It’s just no sound emulation.

I’ve reinstalled the latest VPX beta (the 3592 ‘stable’ beta didn’t help either), I’ve reinstalled VPinMame, and I reinstalled the latest SAMBuild revision, making sure to actually hit “Install” button on SAMBuild.

I’ve tried deleting the NVRAM and configs files for some tables to test if that worked, but it hasn’t.  Still no game sounds.

I’ve tried deleting the rom from the registry. That doesn’t help.

I’ve considered maybe trying alternate ROM version for the tables, but I don’t see how that makes sense, given that I downloaded the tables from the Dux Retro’s spreadsheet, so they’re the up-to-date version of each, and others seem to have no issues with the pre-selected ROM version.

In table options, “set music” is at 100%, I don’t know what to do.  If that doesn’t work then I’ve read that adding a line after line 60:

.Games(cGameName).Settings.Value(“sound”) = 1 could work.  However, that seems highly unlikely, especially since this appears to affect only me.

Sorry for the long post.  I would appreciate any ideas anyone might have.  I’m heartbroken really, after 8 months of work, and just finishing the cabinet less than 3 weeks ago.

Thalamus
        @thalamus
        ContributorMemberModerator

If only everyone would explain a problem as well as you do, then life would be easier for everyone trying to help. Putting that on the side. I’m puzzled by the problem. It might be something @djrobx or @toxie could solve ? This is what I do know though. I agree, this to me sounds like Pinmame related. So, if we focus on only that. Have you tried to extract eg. 10.5 standalone release and only pick bass.dll from that – replace it for bass.dll in vpinball and vpinmame folder ? Reboot after is recommended. And of course if you run UAC you have to take a little dance making sure about permissions etc.

Second suggestion if that doesn’t work and this is a really long shot of desperation. What you describe is kind of the opposite of what you can get for running 2.1 and jump over to a 7.1 setup. What if there is a bug related to that stuff. Try setting it to 7.1 if it is at 2.1 ( we’re talking VP now ) – play around a bit with those settings. I know there there as been done some work on getting things to be persistent for table and backglass not that long time ago and bass.dll was bumped. I have personally only experienced that things have become better, but, I’ve never heard anyone else having your problem so I kind of feel there must be a weird bug that has hit you bad.

If non of these things helps you – pray that one of the guys mentioned will have some better ideas than what I’ve proposed.

bord
          @bord
          MembervipContributorModerator

Now THAT is how you make a request for help. Hope someone is able to help you soon.

DJRobX
            @djrobx
            MemberModerator

Usually this issue means your speaker configuration is set for 5.1/7.1, and your system is routing mono audio through the center channel.   Some ROMs like SAM technically support stereo, so they open left/right channels and so you will hear ROM audio in those cases.

The fix SHOULD be disabling the center channel in the speaker configuration.  But we’ve found that some sound card drivers ignore that and keep sending mono audio there anyway.  There’s sometimes a “Channel Phantoming” checkbox in DSP settings that will fix it.   In other cases, installing EqualizerAPO helps since it will use its own routing.   I’ve also observed that this seems to be a bit of a moving target in recent Windows 10 updates.    Some people have been able to use EQAPO to fix it but needed to copy the C channel to L and R where for others simply installing it takes care of it.

4 users thanked author for this post.
            stampedem
            Participant
              @stampedem

Oh my gosh.  EQAPO fixed it.  Just installing it fixed it.

It’s so weird.  One day it all works, SSF, rom sounds, everything.  The next day it doesn’t.

I have no explanation why or what I may have done, but simply installing Equalizer APO fixed it.

Thank you all, from the bottom of my pinball-obsessed heart.

Please PM me or post here a tip jar if any of you have one.

Thalamus
                @thalamus

Happy that you got it fixed.

outhere
                  @outhere
                  MemberContributorvipModerator

stampedem — Make sure you go back and post the answer on all the sites where you posted this problem
                  Thanks

Gramps
                  Participant
                    @gramps

What do you do if EQAPO doesn’t fix it?  Maybe I didn’t install it right.  I installed and ran configurator and selected my speakers and that’s all.

I’m running windows 10.  –  Single screen Desktop setup of Visual Pinball and everything in between including everything I need to use PuP Packs.  I have a 2 speaker Audioengine 5+ stereo system and have “Standard 2 channel” selecdted under Audio Options Multi-channel output.

All files and systems were updated last Saturday.  After two months of trying, I finally had Visual Pinball running perfectly until a couple of days ago. I was started having a lot of the same problems as stampedem, except I’m not getting any sound on some VPX tables…….started out Williams and Bally tables, but I’m starting to find others.  I might add that all VP8 and 9 files run perfectly even the ones that are the same pin as the VPX tables.  All Future pinball tables run perfectly also.  Still having a few issues with pup packs, but that’s for another day.

I’ve read every post I can find and have tried every suggestions except actually a full reinstall.  One thing happened to me that I haven’t seen in any of the other posts and I’m wondering if anybody can shed some light on it.

I was installing Star Trek The Next Generation (Williams 1993). It was running fine in full screen except that the voices  needed to be louder.  I began to attempt to increase volume as I had done on other tables, but nothing seem to be getting me to the volume (press end, hit 9 and then 8 to increase or press 9 and then use 7 & 8 to increase volume. I, unfortunately, kept trying to get it to work by pressing key after key.  All of a sudden, even thought I was running it at full screen – and while I was still in the game – all the way across the bottom of the screen a green line of vertical stripes showed up like a volume adjustment guide – sort of like l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l but thicker lines.  I couldn’t do anything with it and finally just exited the screen.  I haven’t been able to fix it since.

Hope you all can help me.  I’m 74 and trying to learn all this cool stuff.  My apologies if I’m not more technical, but I’m new at this and still feeling my way through it.

Thanking you in advance for any help you might have.

stampedem
                    Participant
                      @stampedem

The green lines are PinVol. That’s a very useful, but optional, software that lies on top of VPX. It allows you to adjust the sound of each individual table, and save that specific sound level.

What I’ve learned since posting this question originally is that this problem is super common with sound cards with the CMedia CM6206 chip inside. This a number of branded or unbranded sound cards that sells for 30 -40 bucks. It works fine, but is known to have a flaw, which is that it will send audio to your center channel inappropriately. If simply installing EQAPO didn’t fix the issue, then you may need to expressly direct EQAPO/Peace to copy the center channel into your Left and Right in your pre-mix stage, as so:

Copy: L=L+C
                      Copy: R=R+C

You can test if this is the solution for you before trying to add the command.  Physically unplug the backglass line out from where it is currently on your sound card. Then plug it into the (presumably) unused center channel jack.  Can you hear the game sounds now? If so, your sounds are being sent to the center channel VPX doesn’t use, and needS to be corrected with the little strings of code above.  Don’t forget when you’re done testing to then unplug your line out from the center channel jack back into the rear jack where it ought to be.

Gramps
                      Participant
                        @gramps

Thank you for the detailed reply, stampedem.  Are you running visual pinball in a cabinet?  I’m running on a desktop with stereo speakers.  Keep in mind that I have sound for all versions of visual pinball tables except VP10 tables. I also have sound for all Future pinball tables.

I’ve looked at the tutorial for EQAPO and I have no idea how to do what you recommend.  I don’t understand what you were referring to when you say “EQAPO/Peace.  The “Peace” part I don’t understand. Is that even something that might  help if I’m on a desktop?

I mentioned the green lines because I’d never seen them before.  Usually when I adjust volume it shows in the dmd box in orange.

I’m wondering if a total reinstall would solve the problem?  I’ve spent days trying to find the solution that works.

Thalamus
                          @thalamus

There is no difference between cab and desktop. You can if you want have 5.1 – 7.1 or whatever with regular computers too. So, yes, since you are stuck, give it a try.

Gramps
                          Participant
                            @gramps

Thanks Thalamus.

I’d love to give it a try, but I don’t understand how to do any of that other than downloading and installing it.

I re-read stampedem’s response and didn’t understand how to use EQAPO to adjust channels, etc. and unplugging lines, etc.  Maybe he was talking about speakers actually connected via jacks to sound card in computer?

I have wireless/bluetooth speakers, so I’m not hard wired to sound card.  All that worked perfectly until it decided not to.  And it STILL works with all VP8, VP9 and Future Pinball.

Thalamus
                              @thalamus

Even if you don’t understand what to do at first. You very well might once you’ve downloaded the program. It is not like it destroys your computer and it can be uninstalled as well. EQAPO is something that should be built into windows if you ask me.

flstclasic
                              Participant
                                @flstclasic

5303F85C-B0F4-4CBD-8709-923336D9C130

Gramps
                                Participant
                                  @gramps

As I said before, Thalamus, I did download and installed and went through the tutorial.  I didn’t understand it.

flstclasic, thank you for the screenshot.  I kind of understand what I’m looking at, but I have no idea how to get there and to get a screen that looks like that.  Would you please guide me along a little bit.

My choices under Equalizer APO 1.2.1 are:

Benchmark – Configuration Editor (that seemed like a good place to start but I soon got bogged down in technical jargon that made no sense to me) – Configuration reference (online) – Configuration – and uninstall.

Gramps
                                  Participant
                                    @gramps

OK, flstclasic, I see that it looks like you are in the configuration editor, right?  And hitting the + button to add channels.  I’ll study it closer.

Thalamus
                                      @thalamus

My undestanding is that you don’t have game sound from any vpx ? If some are working, then try to reset the game to default like mentioned here. https://vpinball.com/wiki/visual-pinball-knowledge-base/reset-a-table-to-default/ – only the part where you delete the registry key is needed in this case. I hope you get this resolved.

Gramps
                                      Participant
                                        @gramps

Not ALL vpx tables, Thalamus.  VPX tables running with a pup pack are working just fine.

I tried your link and that didn’t work.  I deleted from the registry also deleted the table, backglass, rom, nvram, cfg files in VPinMame.

I appreciate your alls help.  Thank you.

Thalamus
                                          @thalamus

I’m sure it is something simple – once you find it. What about disabling all the devices that you’ve got in your machine, that you ain’t using. IE, hdmi to your monitor and stuff like that. You have, I’m sure, tried all the different sound devices that is listed inside VP ? Tried putting it on 7.1 and back to 2.1 and vise versa ?

Gramps
                                          Participant
                                            @gramps

That’s what’s driving me crazy !  I would think that it’s something simple too.  Doesn’t make sense.

Yes, I tried all the different sound devices listed inside VP.

If I ever decipher flstclasic’s screen shot, I’ll give that a try.  I open the configuration editor and only see L & R as a choice.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?