Ice Fever complete rebuild

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant
      @armyaviation
      MemberContributor

I got the OK from Rascal to go and do a complete rebuild of his Ice Fever VPX conversion.  This will be a group effort and any help would be gretly appreciated.

So far I have done a touchup of the PF pic to get rid of the large red circles around the Bumpers and redrew the PF where it was missing.  I also redid the holes around the Targets and drop targets.  Borgdog has it now adding a new set of Flippers and resizing things to the correct dimensions.  All of the old items that were originally walls with pictures will have new primitives.  The script is pretty dated so as we go it will be updated along with Thalamus doing his SSF touches.

Updated the drop targets and switches with primitives

Totem was my first table and I think the lighting turned out pretty good but if anyone who has the touch wants to volunteer their services it would be appreciated.  I wouldn’t mind learning from someone with more experience.

The plastics definitely need to be redrawn.  They are not terrible bad but after the playfield has been moved around I am sure they wont fit correctly.  I have already seen areas that are not correct in the old plastics.   I did get an offer on ebay to buy a complete set for $30.99, but the look kinda yellowed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICE-FEVER-GOTTLIEB-PREMIER-1985-PINBALL-MACHINE-PLAYFIELD-LOT-OF-PLASTICS/273698599726?hash=item3fb9b5332e:g:e~EAAOSwkCZcYtTS

I contacted him and he agreed to sell them cheaper, he said he couldn’t scan them in.  Someone take a look and see if those would be good candidates to scan in please!!!

Being that this is a group effort if you have a suggestion of think you can add something let me know.  I am trying to manage any changes since the script will need to be heavily updated and I don’t want two people making changes at the same time.

Here is the progress before BD got anything.  The physics seem pretty good after some changes.  If you liked Totem, I used a lot from it since same company and relatively same time period

Tom
      Participant
        @armyaviation
        MemberContributor

old Playfield

Old playfield

New Playfield

New Playfield with touchups

Tom
        Participant
          @armyaviation
          MemberContributor

shot pf

Used IPD as a resource to move things around.  The placement looks pretty good

bord
            @bord
            MembervipContributorModerator

Those plastics will scan well. I have a yellowed set of Seawitch plastics that cleaned right up with a little color correction. I highly recommending throwing a few bucks at the plastic scans vs. a redraw. It will take a fraction of the time, look more authentic (IMO), and fit properly on the table (assuming the table image isn’t too skewed).

I’m happy to scan, color correct, and make meshes out of them if you want to ship them my direction before heading your way. I have an 11×17″ scanner so I can get most long pieces without having to piece them together over multiple scans.

Thanks for picking this project up and running with it. I love all the hand drawn art.

Tom
            Participant
              @armyaviation
              MemberContributor

That sounds great send me your address and I will have them sent to you.

Plastics are bought,  I am hoping this table turns out very nice

Tom
              Participant
                @armyaviation
                MemberContributor

OK, so here are some updates from BorgDog:

doctored playfield image to fit size right, added shooter lane background
                swapped in correct bumper primitives with lights
                flipper primitives and scripting
                top two ball gates primitives and scripting
                flipper and ball shadows with options at top of script
                my versions of cabinet walls, rails, apron and plunger cover
                updated some other image files, eg spinner, wood rails, instruction cards etc
                changed how captive ball works, just using vpx physics instead of routines
                added the surround sound script support subs
                added the collection hit sound routines but did not make the collections
                imported my standard physics materials but have not applied them to anything
                some sound file changes
                fixed a bunch of little stuff

To do, that I know of:

add slingshots, lighting, top ball lane guide primitives,

I am going to mess with the placement of the playfield items to make visually correct.  We wont have the plastics back for a couple weeks so it will prob change a bit then.  I would like someone that has played the actual game to test this and see if it plays accurately.

The other thing I would like to do Is see if I can get the posts to show more of a clear appearance.  I think most are clear plastic on the original???

BorgDog
                Participant
                  @borgdog
                  MemberContributorvip

So according to pinballmap.com there are 3 Ice Fever machines on location in the US.

Arcade Legacy Newport, Newport KY

BlackRock Brewers, Tucson, AZ

Logan Arcade, Chicago, IL

local peeps go out and play!

Wildman
                  Participant
                    @wildman

LOL…. you got the ok from rascal :wacko: ..he didnt do nothing but flip itchigo’s table..which in turn was mine to start with..I got burned on that table,1st one i worked on with people and everybody else took credit for it . I still laugh till this day…..

all the resources came from my pin here they are .. MAKE IT GREAT AGAIN :good:

sold the pin 2 yrs ago so this is all i have ;-)

LOL cant figure out were to upload…heres link from VPU

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5505-ice-fever/

2 users thanked author for this post.
                    Wildman
                    Participant
                      @wildman

heres the BG  to with animations

http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/2151-ice-fever-gottlieb-1985-db2s/

1 user thanked author for this post.
                      Tom
                      Participant
                        @armyaviation
                        MemberContributor

I am fairly new to this and I tread very lightly when making changes to any tables no matter where they come from.  You don’t want to piss off anyone for lack of asking no matter where the table came from…but thanks for all of your help Wildman, its always appreciated :good:

Tom
                        Participant
                          @armyaviation
                          MemberContributor

AHHHHHHH DAMNIT, Wildman……..Those are nice scans of the plastics… just wasted $30.  I guess I should have asked around before I bought them .  Maybe down the road I will run into a Ice Fever in great shape for a steal that is missing all its plastics… ah well I can always resell them.  Why weren’t those used on the original table??  The top plastic on the vp9 and vpx tables has been heavily modified.  was that for a certain reason :wacko:

Wildman
                          Participant
                            @wildman

Rascal combined other tables with that one..as for the plastics being modified the whole ordeal with the table build was a joke .. that’s why i never got involved

in another table again and went into making backglasses, were I had control over everything  B-)

small and short history lesson for ya there lol ;-)

Thalamus
                              @thalamus
                              ContributorMemberModerator

I don’t know. I’m kind of happy that you got severely screwed back in the days. 80-90% of my db2s is made by you. :heart:

BorgDog
                              Participant
                                @borgdog
                                MemberContributorvip

OK guys, so I need a photoshop expert, someone well versed in lens correction, color correction, maybe a little blur removal etc… (miss me some haunt).

I managed to obtain some photos of a NOS Ice Fever playfield from a nice pinsider (yes they do exist), see low res screen capture below. There are a couple full playfield shots and a few detail photos.  I did a quick lens correction to one of the full shots myself just to check it out, but I don’t know the ins and outs and I don’t see colors very well so can’t really do that part.

Anybody out there that can help out?

Capture-4

randr
                                Keymaster
                                  @randr
                                  ModeratorMember

Yeah wish haunt was back! Someone I’m sure will speak up that can do this.

********************************************************
                                  Messing with the VPinball app and push notifications.
                                  So if you haven't downloaded app yet what are you waiting for!?
                                  for IOS and Android

********************************************************

Thalamus
                                    @thalamus
                                    ContributorMemberModerator

We can cry all we want. We lost Dark, we gained g5k, we lost ? Haunts , or did we ? Have a feeling he still will arrive – some day. – until then we’ve got good replacements, Skitso pr. example, for details – Draifet. Life goes on. I’m sure there is a ton of guys that read this message that are able, most are lazy bast***** though since they haven’t even cared to participate or are too shy to get the dialog rolling. Look at Tom pr. example. Sorry. Just want to make an example, Tom / Armyaviation, one table release, and you start to take a project on your own ( kind of – yes, it is still a mod – but still appreciated ). Once you start to actually participate in the community. Doing stuff you’ll see that we’re only at our best when one takes a charge, asks for help and kind of knows who to ask. It always seems to end up in a success story. Sure, Ice fever will never become Addams Family or Pinbot. But, we can make it much better what it is today. Just wait ;) My view of things anyway – </rant over>

bord
                                      @bord

ice fever pf

Not perfect but dimensions look good and 85% of it resolves nicely in 4k.

2 users thanked author for this post.
                                      Tom
                                      Participant
                                        @armyaviation
                                        MemberContributor

Man what a nice playfield, thanks Bord and BorgDog.  It’s so nice to have guide holes to line everything up perfectly.

Tom
                                        Participant
                                          @armyaviation
                                          MemberContributor

anyone have a clue on how to make a primitive playfield peg clear in color instead of white

bord
                                            @bord

You could start with a material like this and a depth bias on the peg of -100. From there you can mess with the disable lighting from below value until it looks right.

peg_recipe

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 41 total)

Forums are currently locked.

©2024 VPinBall.com

Forgot your details?